The Student Room Group

Girls Vs Boys Chemistry Challenge!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JMaydom
Don't worry, it's a sort of half right, half wrong answer.....

Haha, thanks. I wasn't really sure about it, I just figured I'd take a punt :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Kallisto
The question was answered, right? but I can't see a new one. Who should ask a new question? The game must go on! it's very interesting and instructive.

In terms of electron density, explain why the 4s orbital is filled before the 3d orbital in most cases.
Reply 42
Original post by Technetium
Question: Derive an expression for pH at the Half-neutralisation point of a titration.

Unparseable latex formula:

pH = -log_1_0[H^+] and K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}

At the Half-neutralisation point:
[HA]=[A]Ka=[H+][HA] = [A^-] \Rightarrow K_a = [H^+]

Since

pH = -log_1_0[H^+] \Rightarrow pH = -log_1_0K_a

We know that

-log_1_0(K_a) = pK_a

Therefore at the Half-neutralisation point, pH=pKapH = pK_a
Reply 43
Question: Derive an expression for pH at the Half-neutralisation point of a titration.

I looked at the Henderson-Haselbalch equation for H-H

pH=pKa+logbaseacidpH = pKa +log\frac{base}{acid}
Here the"base" and "acid" are the weak acid and its conjugate base.

At the half neutralisation point, the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base are equal. So that ratio would be 1:1. The log of 1 is zero, so, the pH=pKapH = pKa.

:s-smilie:

EDIT: The above method is probably better, this wasn't in the Scottish Higher chemistry course and it was answered from my recollection of what I had personally researched on the Henderson-Haselbalch equation. Is this still OK?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
I was looking for a comparison between their bond lengths.

Since Deuterium bonds are shorter they require more energy to break. This leads to a decrease in the wave-number of the X-H stretch (which you stated).

EDIT: You get the point though.

A shorter bond length does not necessarily mean that a bond is harder to break! e.g. the silicon-silicon bond in analogues of ethane and ethene:

H3Si-SiH3; bond length 233 pm, dissociation enthalpy 314 kJ/mol.
H2Si=SiH2; 214 pm, 270 kJ/mol.
Original post by InfinitePi

pH = -log_1_0[H^+] and K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}

At the Half-neutralisation point:
[HA]=[A]Ka=[H+][HA] = [A^-] \Rightarrow K_a = [H^+]

Since

pH = -log_1_0[H^+] \Rightarrow pH = -log_1_0K_a

We know that

-log_1_0(K_a) = pK_a

Therefore at the Half-neutralisation point, pH=pKapH = pK_a

Correct! I love that method of deriving the expression..:rolleyes:

Original post by -Neuro-
I looked at the Henderson-Haselbalch equation for H-H

pH=pKa+logbaseacidpH = pKa +log\frac{base}{acid}
Here the"base" and "acid" are the weak acid and its conjugate base.

At the half neutralisation point, the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base are equal. So that ratio would be 1:1. The log of 1 is zero, so, the pH=pKapH = pKa.

:s-smilie:

EDIT: The above method is probably better, this wasn't in the Scottish Higher chemistry course and it was answered from my recollection of the Henderson-Haselbalch equation. Is this still OK though?

It is fine :smile:, but the above derivation is more elegant as you can see all the steps.

Original post by BJack
A shorter bond length does not necessarily mean that a bond is harder to break! e.g. the silicon-silicon bond in analogues of ethane and ethene:

H3Si-SiH3; bond length 233 pm, dissociation enthalpy 314 kJ/mol.
H2Si=SiH2; 214 pm, 270 kJ/mol.

I never said that it applied to all bonds. :tongue:
In terms of electron density, explain why the 4s orbital is filled before the 3d orbital in most cases.

Why do people keep posting questions that require a post A-level answer...... or will at least make me annoyed when the horrendously simplified answer required for A-level is given :angry:
(edited 10 years ago)

A larger proportion of the electron density in the 4s orbital penetrates the nucleus, so filling the 4s orbital before the 3d orbital is more energetically favourable?
A larger proportion of the electron density in the 4s orbital penetrates the nucleus, so filling the 4s orbital before the 3d orbital is more energetically favourable?

ohhh, better than I was expecting! (seriously I not trolling, I'm just trying to get everyone to see the correct answer rather than the bad answers they give you in School chemistry) Now explain (for bonus marks) why there is this difference in orbital penetration.
Original post by JMaydom
ohhh, better than I was expecting! (seriously I not trolling, I'm just trying to get everyone to see the correct answer rather than the bad answers they give you in School chemistry) Now explain (for bonus marks) why there is this difference in orbital penetration.

Electrons in the 3d orbitals are shielded by electrons in the 1s,2s and 2p orbitals so electrons in the 3d orbitals do not experience the full 'force' of the nuclear charge?

That's a bit of a myth I'm afraid. The 4s orbital fills after the 3d as soon as you put the atom into any sort of chemical environment. The 3d is only at higher energy for some atoms when they're in perfect isolation (one atom in a vacuum ).
Electrons in the 3d orbitals are shielded by electrons in the 1s,2s and 2p orbitals so electrons in the 3d orbitals do not experience the full 'force' of the nuclear charge?

OK, well then why is the 4s orbital not as well shielded...... you may expect the 4s to be more shielded seeing as it is in a higher n level.
Original post by JMaydom
OK, well then why is the 4s orbital not as well shielded...... you may expect the 4s to be more shielded seeing as it is in a higher n level.

Is it because the 4s orbital penetrates the nucleus more, so the charge from surrounding electrons is blocked out in a way?!.

I would say that 3d is more energetic-efficient than 4s, as 4s is a higher energy level than 3d. Electrons use the low-energy of the orbitals to fill them step by step. That is why the 3d orbital is 'refilled' completely before 4p orbital goes on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it because the 4s orbital penetrates the nucleus more, so the charge from surrounding electrons is blocked out in a way?!.

OK, I'm looking for why it is more penetrating

Original post by Kallisto
I would say that 3d is more energetic-efficient than 4s, as 4s is a higher energy level than 3d. Electrons use the low-energy of the orbitals to fill them step by step. That is why the 3d orbital is 'refilled' completely before 4p orbital goes on.

Ahhhh, no. The 3d is lower in energy if we remove shielding effects. When we ionise the metal atom the 3d drop more in energy than the 4s so the 3d become preferentially occupied over the 4s. You can think of the 3d dropping quicker as it is tending towards the situation with no shielding (only one electron). The 4p is not as penetrating as the 4s (it is affected by shielding more) so it lies higher in energy than the 4s and 3d.
Energy efficiency is a very weird way of putting it...... the electrons adopt the lowest energy configuration possible, as simple as that.
Original post by JMaydom
OK, I'm looking for why it is more penetrating

Do you want me to talk about RDFs? I am not sure how much depth you want to the answer..
Do you want me to talk about RDFs? I am not sure how much depth you want to the answer..

Yeah, thats as far as I was trying to get to. Obviously I could keep going and ask why but that is normally where we stop in Inorganic chem answers although we know the next level down.
Original post by JMaydom
Yeah, thats as far as I was trying to get to. Obviously I could keep going and ask why but that is normally where we stop in Inorganic chem answers although we know the next level down.

The peak in an RDF plot represents the most probable distance for the electron from the nucleus. The peak on the plot for a 4s orbital is lower than that of the 3d, the small peak of the 4s orbital means the electrons are closer to the nucleus and hence the 4s orbital is more penetrative?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Question: 'It is possible for a reaction to have no activation energy barrier'.

If you agree with the statement give an example, and explain why no such barrier exists. If you disagree with the statement; explain why.
(edited 10 years ago)
The peak in an RDF plot represents the most probable distance for the electron from the nucleus. The peak on the plot for a 4s orbital is lower than that of the 3d, the small peak of the 4s orbital means the electrons are closer to the nucleus and hence the 4s orbital is more penetrative?!

More radial nodes.....

Quick Reply

Latest