The Student Room Group

Choosing Economics at A-level good or bad idea?

Hey there guys,
this is my first post so excuse any misdemeanors. My main problem is what subjects to study at A-level?
So far i have chosen
Biology
Chemistry
Fine art
Economics

Before i finalise any of these subjects, i would like to know what im getting myself into, so if anyone could break down Economics (AQA) what you do in it? is it a worthwhile subject? is it difficult? is it essay-based? coursework? :confused:I'd be very grateful :biggrin:
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lchoudhry
Hey there guys,
this is my first post so excuse any misdemeanors. My main problem is what subjects to study at A-level?
So far i have chosen
Biology
Chemistry
Fine art
Economics

Before i finalise any of these subjects, i would like to know what im getting myself into, so if anyone could break down Economics (AQA) what you do in it? is it a worthwhile subject? is it difficult? is it essay-based? coursework? :confused:I'd be very grateful :biggrin:
Thanks!

Hi there, you got a nice set of subjects. Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?

I do Economics and i must say, i found it the most enjoyable subject from my bunch :biggrin:. In both AS and A2, you will study Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Micro being individual markets and Macro being the economy as a whole.

Within AS, you get a nice introduction with micro, learning stuff like monopoly, economies of scale, market faliure externalities etc. There is a SLIGHT use of maths in this unit, but even a year 9 could handle it no problem. I personally found Unit 2 easier (Though we'll wait for the exam results!) but unit 1 is usually easier since its the unit to introduce the student. In Macro, you learn about topics such as the Fiscal/monetary policies, and demand/supply within an economy. There are quite a bunch of graphs for AS, but not too many (Estimated like 10 per unit).

The exam for AS is laid out like 25 multiple choices, alongside 50 marks worth of essays. The essay is compromised of a 5 marker which is just a formal definition - 2/3 sentences can get you the 5. 8 Marker which is just robotic picking out points of data (Start/End+Peak/Trough is usually the norm), 12 marker (Explaining 2/3 points with use of a graph) and a 25 marker (The proper essay, probably takes you 2-3 sides of A4). You will soon to learn to write quickly using knowledge and data they give you in the exam :smile: So although it sounds daughting, you will get use to it!

Theres no coursework which is all good :P.
I personally found AS to be fairly straight forward and did not have to do much work out of the lesson, due to the essays being set for homework being fine to reinforce knowledge. A2 is 110% harder though, and sorts the men from the boy, but im still enjoying it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
is it a worthwhile subject

Let's just say it's more useful than fine art.
Reply 3
Economics is welcomed by lots of uni's
I did Economics on AQA. Totally recommend it (The subject and the exam board)

No coursework at all, two exams at AS and A2. AS is half multiple choice

Very little maths content, not overly essay based (maximum you write a 25 marker in each exam at AS - a third of the paper)

Easy to get top grades if you keep up to date with news/have good real world examples

Straight forward concepts to learn and to revise, mark schemes are helpful

The official AQA Economics book is the main book to learn/make notes/ + very good

Website called 'tutor2u' is awesome at reinforcing the textbook knowledge

I found Economics really interesting and the exam board better ('kinder') to bank marks than my friends who do Edexcel/OCR. Maybe it's because I'm going on to do an Economics degree, but I didn't hear many complaints amongst my friends.

Go for it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Hi there, you got a nice set of subjects. Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?

I do Economics and i must say, i found it the most enjoyable subject from my bunch :biggrin:. In both AS and A2, you will study Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Micro being individual markets and Macro being the economy as a whole.

Within AS, you get a nice introduction with micro, learning stuff like monopoly, economies of scale, market faliure externalities etc. There is a SLIGHT use of maths in this unit, but even a year 9 could handle it no problem. I personally found Unit 2 easier (Though we'll wait for the exam results!) but unit 1 is usually easier since its the unit to introduce the student. In Macro, you learn about topics such as the Fiscal/monetary policies, and demand/supply within an economy. There are quite a bunch of graphs for AS, but not too many (Estimated like 10 per unit).

The exam for AS is laid out like 25 multiple choices, alongside 50 marks worth of essays. The essay is compromised of a 5 marker which is just a formal definition - 2/3 sentences can get you the 5. 8 Marker which is just robotic picking out points of data (Start/End+Peak/Trough is usually the norm), 12 marker (Explaining 2/3 points with use of a graph) and a 25 marker (The proper essay, probably takes you 2-3 sides of A4). You will soon to learn to write quickly using knowledge and data they give you in the exam :smile: So although it sounds daughting, you will get use to it!

Theres no coursework which is all good :P.
I personally found AS to be fairly straight forward and did not have to do much work out of the lesson, due to the essays being set for homework being fine to reinforce knowledge. A2 is 110% harder though, and sorts the men from the boy, but im still enjoying it :smile:

Yes i want to do medicine, but i dont want to go the 3 sciences maths route if you understand?
Reply 6
Yes i want to do medicine, but i dont want to go the 3 sciences maths route if you understand?

Of course. Physics isnt required by any means, mainly chemistry and biology. In fact most medicine prospective students choose not to do physics out of the 4 Science+maths array.
I know someones sister who got into UCL(?) (or Imperial) achieving A*AA with the A* in English Language, alongisde the norm of Biology and Chemistry.

Just make sure you achieve good grades at AS alongside relevant work experience and not being a physics student wont really matter :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest