The Student Room Group

Farming work experience in Oxfordshire

So I'm planning to be a vet, and I have already done or secured most my placements at vets, kennels, catterys, wildlife parks etc..but I am lacking anything in anything farm related, and an abattoir actually..so if anyone could recommend anywhere in the Oxfordshire area (preferably witney) that does work experience that would be great! So any lambing, dairy farms etc..thanks!(:
Reply 1
isn't working at the butchers better work experience? plus you get paid?
Reply 2
Original post by smd4std
isn't working at the butchers better work experience? plus you get paid?

No, farm work is essential and experience in an abattoir is pretty much too. You can't just replace these with working in a butcher's. Additionally, it is not the money that is important - 99% of the time you do not get paid for work experience and you shouldn't expect any compensation. People don't want to be vets for the money (and to be honest - the money earned doesn't equate to the input of work: with there being less money to greater work), smd4std.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CanineVet
No, farm work is essential and experience in an abattoir is pretty much too. You can't just replace these with working in a butcher's. Additionally, it is not the money that is important - 99% of the time you do not get paid for work experience and you shouldn't expect any compensation. People don't want to be vets for the money (and to be honest - the money earned doesn't equate to the input of work: with there being less money to greater work), smd4std.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say an abattoir is an essential placement, just an added extra once you've been to other farms, vets, kennels, catteries, etc. I haven't been to an abattoir and know a a fair few others with offers from various vet schools that haven't been to one either. In my opinion the core placements are much more important. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by beckycat
I wouldn't say an abattoir is an essential placement, just an added extra once you've been to other farms, vets, kennels, catteries, etc. I haven't been to an abattoir and know a a fair few others with offers from various vet schools that haven't been to one either. In my opinion the core placements are much more important. :smile:

Yeah, I see what you mean :smile:. I haven't been to one as yet either but I hope too. I believe you are given an added advantage because you are able to see things from multiple perspectives - in this case, animals in the food chain and the importance of veterinary care within it. By all means I don't see why people shouldn't get in without it, I was just stating about why working in a butcher's, in my opinion, can't compensate for visiting an abattoir.

Some universities have it on their core list but marked as "not essential but preferred". I do, however, understand your point :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
how is chopping animals up not good work experience?
Original post by goonieskellie
So I'm planning to be a vet, and I have already done or secured most my placements at vets, kennels, catterys, wildlife parks etc..but I am lacking anything in anything farm related, and an abattoir actually..so if anyone could recommend anywhere in the Oxfordshire area (preferably witney) that does work experience that would be great! So any lambing, dairy farms etc..thanks!(:

Hi, I had a quick google search and found Peashell Farm in Witney (http://www.peashell.co.uk/) who look like they may farm sheep. I know that the Hooks family farm in Witney too, not exactly sure where their sheep farm is but know they have land in Ducklington. Found their details here: http://www.oxforddownsheep.org.uk/adverts.htm#Hook. If you google PD Hooks you'll find the family are also into the poultry business but due to the high profile nature of chicken farming fewer farms are allowing non-vet students to visit the farms.

Farmer Gows is based in Faringdon, they take students on, and are basically a small holding with various animals open to the public. ABingdon & Witney college have a farm I believe, but not sure where it is.

I don't know any dairies in Witney, but know of a few in south of oxfordshire if you can travel. PM me for more details.

Munchmeats is an abattoir based in Witney, but they have stopped taking non-vet students. I didn't get an abattoir placement, and still got interviews everywhere I applied so if you can get this, that's brilliant, but if not don't worry too much. Look at my profile for my work exp. list to see the number of weeks as well as variety that got me those interviews.

Also, I'd really recommend looking into and joining Witney Young Farmer's Club (http://www.ofyfc.org.uk/) . I joined YFC before uni (you don't need to be a farmer to join) and got to know lots of great farming contacts, as well as being able to improve on my confidence and public speaking (useful for interviews). I also met a lot of great friends and my boyfriend there too so for me was the best thing I decided to do before uni! :smile: I'd recommend it for sure.
Reply 7
Original post by smd4std
how is chopping animals up not good work experience?

I take it you have no idea how surgery or postmortems works?
Original post by goonieskellie

How have you secured so many different work experience placements? I can't find anything in Oxfordshire. I've asked local vets but they're taken or don't have any space. And most of the places I want to work at are too far away to get to + I don't drive. Have you got any tips what sort of people I should be asking? I'm guessing you got your placements way in advance. I've only got 2 weeks left till college starts and need more placements...!
Original post by megziiminime
How have you secured so many different work experience placements? I can't find anything in Oxfordshire. I've asked local vets but they're taken or don't have any space. And most of the places I want to work at are too far away to get to + I don't drive. Have you got any tips what sort of people I should be asking? I'm guessing you got your placements way in advance. I've only got 2 weeks left till college starts and need more placements...!

There are quite a lot of kennels & catteries in Oxfordshire. As for vets you need to keep asking until you find one.

I didn't drive when securing all but my last placement and still got 19 weeks as a first time applicant so you shouldn't let that stop you. To get around the fact I couldn't drive (and my mum didn't either at the time so couldn't get a lift) here are some tips:

* Some farms will offer free accommodation in return for work
* Taxis might get you there or at least complete your journey
* B&Bs are not cheap but also an option
* Public transport will get you to most vet practices in Oxfordshire which are in cities and towns - think bus, rail and probably a bit of walking (I managed to get to some farms as well by bus too, albeit having to walk for 2 miles from the bus stop)
* Cycle to placements
* See if your parents can take a slight detour to work to drop you off at a placement
* Staying at family & friends who live in a different part of the uk

It's expensive to obviously use public transport, taxis, B&Bs etc etc. if your parents can't/won't fund this for you I'd suggest a part time job to cover the costs. I managed to work during sixth form at weekends and evenings and this funded all of my travel costs before uni.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
There are quite a lot of kennels & catteries in Oxfordshire. As for vets you need to keep asking until you find one.

I didn't drive when securing all but my last placement and still got 19 weeks as a first time applicant so you shouldn't let that stop you. To get around the fact I couldn't drive (and my mum didn't either at the time so couldn't get a lift) here are some tips:

* Some farms will offer free accommodation in return for work
* Taxis might get you there or at least complete your journey
* B&Bs are not cheap but also an option
* Public transport will get you to most vet practices in Oxfordshire which are in cities and towns - think bus, rail and probably a bit of walking (I managed to get to some farms as well by bus too, albeit having to walk for 2 miles from the bus stop)
* Cycle to placements
* See if your parents can take a slight detour to work to drop you off at a placement
* Staying at family & friends who live in a different part of the uk

It's expensive to obviously use public transport, taxis, B&Bs etc etc. if your parents can't/won't fund this for you I'd suggest a part time job to cover the costs. I managed to work during sixth form at weekends and evenings and this funded all of my travel costs before uni.

I have a weekend job, I cycle everywhere and have a bus pass for all stagecoach buses in oxford. I've managed to find 3 possible placements but I don't have very much experience only the little I have from being at college the past month. I could learn to drive as I've been old enough for a year but had neither the time or the money. Both my parents work full time so can't drive me anywhere. For college its a one day a week placement which you sort out independently which I have just 2 weeks to complete otherwise I don't get health & safety insurance or something along those lines.
Thanks for the help though. I have secured a place at a monkey sanctuary for the summer and possibly at a private zoo in Enstone but apart from that I need something in the next few weeks otherwise I'll be in trouble! I've phoned/emailed lots of catteries and kennels in my area because if I have to be there too early public transport sometimes won't run to certain areas. I suppose it's also how much you want to work there. Thanks anyway!
I've phoned/emailed lots of catteries and kennels in my area because if I have to be there too early public transport sometimes won't run to certain areas. I suppose it's also how much you want to work there. Thanks anyway!

It's fine to turn up to a placement late if public transport can't get you there. My dairy farm started at 5am, but I couldn't get there until 9.30am by public transport. Most places will be flexible as to what time you can start if you explain this to them, so don't feel you can't do a placement just because transport won't get you there early enough. You might miss out on morning feeds, but there would be plenty of other things to do (and possibly afternoon feeds). etc.
Hi. I've still not secured a placement yet. And the months have flown by. I've emailed various places in oxford and I'm not very good on the phone.. Any tips how to talk to someone on the phone? Thanks. If you've got any places that you worked at could you also leave me a list, I'm interested in a bit of everything and I'm not really sure what I want to do just yet so would require lots of experience. Thank you again.
Hi. I've still not secured a placement yet. And the months have flown by. I've emailed various places in oxford and I'm not very good on the phone.. Any tips how to talk to someone on the phone? Thanks. If you've got any places that you worked at could you also leave me a list, I'm interested in a bit of everything and I'm not really sure what I want to do just yet so would require lots of experience. Thank you again.

Will PM you a list.

As for speaking on the phone, all you need to do is "Hi, my name is xxxx I am a student at xxx school. I want to become a vet and am just calling to ask if you take students on for placements?" Be prepared to give a list of dates. I always phone before emailing, especially for farmers who can often sort you a placement over the phone whereas emails often get lost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending