The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2013 Summer Pool Thread

I thought this may be useful for people stressing/moral support!

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ourdecision.html

Scroll to see replies

Might as well check in here.
Reply 2
Thank god, someone has made this thread. :P
I can't believe I'm in the pool again (I was in the winter one too). I missed my A* by some points, not few but not many either. I'm seriously stuck and don't know what to do while I wait. :P
Original post by nickyr212
I can't believe I'm in the pool again (I was in the winter one too). I missed my A* by some points, not few but not many either. I'm seriously stuck and don't know what to do while I wait. :P

Go and have some fun! There's no point stewing and imagining all the worst case scenarios in your head. What ever is coming is coming, and you'll meet it when it does (as Hagrid would say).

shaun of the dead.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
I messed up on STEP and got pooled - I'm hoping I might get an offer from a college that needs more NatSci students though, since I got A*A*A*A in maths/further maths/physics/chemistry.

best of luck to everyone in the pool - it's only a couple days' more wait than everyone else has to deal with, and at least we haven't been straight up rejected :P
Reply 5

Are you fine with going to your insurance if you need be? Also if this is still your first time applying, would you consider reapplying next year?
Reply 6
Original post by Craghyrax

Are you fine with going to your insurance if you need be? Also if this is still your first time applying, would you consider reapplying next year?

I didn't meet the offer of my insurance either, so if I fail at both universities, I'll be forced to take a gap year. I decided not to go through clearing.

And yeah, I'll definitely reapply next year.
Reply 7
I didn't meet the offer of my insurance either, so if I fail at both universities, I'll be forced to take a gap year. I decided not to go through clearing.

And yeah, I'll definitely reapply next year.

Good luck!
I missed my A* by one mark. Gutted.
Reply 9
In pool for the classics four year course. Chances very slim as only one person got in from the summer pool las year for my course. Email says that we'll know by his time tomorrow though.

Any other classicists?

Best of luck everyone
Original post by St. Brynjar
I missed my A* by one mark. Gutted.

I feel ya. Good news is that you'll definitely have a greater chance of getting in.
Reply 11
Hang in there if you're in the pool! I'm here for moral support / to help rant (the process can be excruciatingly slow at times).
Original post by Icesn
In pool for the classics four year course. Chances very slim as only one person got in from the summer pool las year for my course. Email says that we'll know by his time tomorrow though.

Any other classicists?

Best of luck everyone

I'm a Classicist with a confirmed offer. I know a few people that missed their offers, so don't feel like you're alone. Its not over until the fat lady sings.
How many people are in the summer pool, you think?

At least three that I know of - you'll be the fourth.
Reply 15

Yes, exactly I'm very curious as to the usual numbers and what the odds are?
Original post by Icesn
Yes, exactly I'm very curious as to the usual numbers and what the odds are?

I don't want to scare people, and statistics are really useless to access ones chances because theres no chance of predicting who it will actually apply to, but apparently 25% of people in the summer pool receive offers.
The summer pool is mainly for maths but most subjects also have one. The important to thing to remember is that although not many people change colleges in the summer pool in most subjects (see admissions graphs on Cambridge website), there is a chance your original college will put you in as a check and then fish you out again. For example there is a summer pool in philosophy but nobody has ever in the last 8 years changed college through it, so its existence must mainly be as a means of deciding on a faculty basis which marginal candidates should get in (to their original college) and which shouldn't.

The good news this year for poolees is Cambridge made 1% fewer offers this year than last year and the number of A* achieved in England has dropped again so the statistical background is quite good.

My guess is that closeness to grade boundaries is crucial now for deciding between candidates. Candidates who look like they could get the grades on a re-mark will probably be given priority, as turning them down now and then having to readmit them after a successful re-mark must be awkward.
that's really good news for me, since a lot of my module b grades were pretty close to grade boundaries, and I was 6 marks off the A* in chemistry. Glad I sent off my UMS now :biggrin:
Pooled for maths :rolleyes: Part of me wishes they'd just rejected me, this waiting is doing my head in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending