The Student Room Group

Low AS level grades want to improve in A2

Hello,
Recently I received my AS results I wasn't very pleased I got DEU (travel and tourism, geography, computing)
I know I can do way better than that, I just felt that AS are very similar to GCSE, but its not, its a big step up. I will continue to A2 in year 13 (sixth form) anyone improved they grades dramatically at A2 level ?
My plan for A2 is revise each day after school, because I want to get into good uni where they require BBC
Need some answers please
Reply 1
Original post by nestlex27
Hello,
Recently I received my AS results I wasn't very pleased I got DEU (travel and tourism, geography, computing)
I know I can do way better than that, I just felt that AS are very similar to GCSE, but its not, its a big step up. I will continue to A2 in year 13 (sixth form) anyone improved they grades dramatically at A2 level ?
My plan for A2 is revise each day after school, because I want to get into good uni where they require BBC
Need some answers please

Going from a D->B wouldn't be so bad
but going form an E->B and U->C at the same time would be pretty difficult, the workload will be quite intense, I would resit the year if I were you
Don't know what you need answering really but yeah, it should be added motivation to study even harder next year.I'm in a similar position to you, I managed to get BBCC and I was intending to apply for medicine at Cambridge, Imperial and UCL. Although I'm having to take a gap year, it's added motivation to me to turn them grades into A's or even A*s.

Good luck with it and always keep your eye on the goal.
Are you sure you don't want to repeat AS level?

You can do it right next time, and then you could aim for BBC more realistically (or maybe higher :smile:) Resitting practically all of AS alongside A2 sounds near-suicidal to me...
Reply 4
Original post by SteelCookie
Don't know what you need answering really but yeah, it should be added motivation to study even harder next year.I'm in a similar position to you, I managed to get BBCC and I was intending to apply for medicine at Cambridge, Imperial and UCL. Although I'm having to take a gap year, it's added motivation to me to turn them grades into A's or even A*s.

Good luck with it and always keep your eye on the goal.

But you do realise you can't go to Cambridge anymore, right?
Original post by TheBigJosh
But you do realise you can't go to Cambridge anymore, right?

It may be possible once I have obtained my full A2 results. I'll probably apply to Oxford instead; I'll need more clarification from Cambridge if I do well at A2 and apply with them.
Reply 6
It may be possible once I have obtained my full A2 results. I'll probably apply to Oxford instead; I'll need more clarification from Cambridge if I do well at A2 and apply with them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but alot of the upper tier unis you mentioned frown upon A levels in 3 years.
Reply 7

Oxbridge don't accept resits.
Original post by *mike
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but alot of the upper tier unis you mentioned frown upon A levels in 3 years.

No no no, I'll be resitting a few of the AS modules when I sit my A2 ones. So I'll be resitting them next June meaning it will be classed as two years. I've e-mailed Oxford and Imperial admission tutors who have said they are fine with candidates retaking within the two years of A-Level study.
Reply 9
Original post by *mike

That's not what he's saying.

He's taking a gap year and will apply with completed A2 results
Reply 10
No no no, I'll be resitting a few of the AS modules when I sit my A2 ones. So I'll be resitting them next June meaning it will be classed as two years. I've e-mailed Oxford and Imperial admission tutors who have said they are fine with candidates retaking within the two years of A-Level study.

Oh sorry I misunderstood, but don't forget that you will still need to declare your AS grades on your UCAS application - your current grades. Cambridge is VERY VERY VERY strict on UMS, in fact when you apply to Cambridge, they give you a separate sheet to fill in for your UMS, this is what is going to hinder your chances the most. Most if not all Cambridge applicants have 90%+ UMS.
Original post by nestlex27
Hello,
Need some answers please

I went from BCDE at AS to BBC at A2, it is perfectly possible. (Also, the D in AS, was Maths, and it was my higher B, so yes, if you tactically retake, it can work out)
Original post by *mike
Oh sorry I misunderstood, but don't forget that you will still need to declare your AS grades on your UCAS application - your current grades. Cambridge is VERY VERY VERY strict on UMS, in fact when you apply to Cambridge, they give you a separate sheet to fill in for your UMS, this is what is going to hinder your chances the most. Most if not all Cambridge applicants have 90%+ UMS.

But when I apply, I will have completed my A2's so on my UCAS form, they will see that I have completed my A Levels. If I need to place my AS Results, I could but the grades will change (he says hopefully) as I am resitting them next June.

I don't think the 90% UMS is factored in if I have got A2 results and I'm applying in a gap year because I have A2 results, not predictions.

The important thing is, they aren't looking at predicted A2 results, they are looking at concrete ones.
Original post by TheBigJosh
Oxbridge don't accept resits.

They don't accept resits over 3 years. Modular resits are fine as long as they are within the 2 year A Level course.
Reply 14
But when I apply, I will have completed my A2's so on my UCAS form, they will see that I have completed my A Levels. If I need to place my AS Results, I could but the grades will change (he says hopefully) as I am resitting them next June.

I don't think the 90% UMS is factored in if I have got A2 results and I'm applying in a gap year because I have A2 results, not predictions.

The important thing is, they aren't looking at predicted A2 results, they are looking at concrete ones.

Terribly sorry, I completely misread all your comments. So you're retaking AS modules with A2 modules next year. And then having a gap year? Well in that case, best of luck to you!
Original post by *mike
Terribly sorry, I completely misread all your comments. So you're retaking AS modules with A2 modules next year. And then having a gap year? Well in that case, best of luck to you!

Yes exactly that. It's my only real option if I want to apply to a top tier University. If my results come out unexpected once again, I'll consider applying for something else.

And thank you (:
Reply 16
They don't accept resits over 3 years. Modular resits are fine as long as they are within the 2 year A Level course.

I believe that to be untrue to be honest, at least that was what was said at the HE fair we went to, and when I contact admissions. Whether it varies by college/course idk.

Quick Reply

Latest