The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Does anyone know if you are predicted 3 A*s or whatever for Barts, do you have to achieve these? or will the typical 3 A's offer still stand?

He,
I am really confused about something.

I have A*AAA which adds to a UCAS tariff of 500. But I also have AAAA at AS Level, would I have to add AS aswell or not?

Also I have a UKCAT of 690. With this tariff do you think that I should apply here?

Thanks and please help I am gutted. :frown:
Original post by DrumChops
What was your tariff?

I'm not entirely sure. At the time I was predicted A*AAAA(now achieved A*A*A*AA) then I had 30 points from functional skills exams. I also did an ASDAN award which is supposedly worth 70 points . So at the time of applying my tariff was 720 I think.
Original post by raveen789
How much emphasis do Bart's put on your personal statement like at interview, do they have any specific criteria?

The interview consisted of around 50% on the article they gave me and 50% on my personal statement. It was just the usual questions you'd expect and they tended to pick out some specific bits for example 'I see you went to a PreMed session. Tell me what you learnt from it' They were very friendly and the nerves went away very quickly. Before the interview however they do not use the personal statement at all. It is mainly used to generate questions at interview.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by saucysalamander
Thank you!! Where else did you apply?

That's alright. I applied to Barts, Imperial, Southampton, Bristol and King's(for Chemistry with Biomedicine)
Guys I read this on another thread and got me worried!

As an example, data on the Barts UCAS tariff score on their successful candidates indicate those with the highest scores were much more successful compared to those close to the cut-off boundary, something in the order of 86% receiving offers versus 32% for those close to the boundary.

I would be in the mid range criteria based on last years report :frown:
Reply 186
Do u think guys that with a tariff of 788 and a ukcat 732.5 I will be in the high range?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariomario1
The interview consisted of around 50% on the article they gave me and 50% on my personal statement. It was just the usual questions you'd expect and they tended to pick out some specific bits for example 'I see you went to a PreMed session. Tell me what you learnt from it' They were very friendly and the nerves went away very quickly. Before the interview however they do not use the personal statement at all. It is mainly used to generate questions at interview.

Thank you <3
Original post by Alexsk
Do u think guys that with a tariff of 788 and a ukcat 732.5 I will be in the high range?

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course :biggrin:
I have 540 tariff and 740 UKCAT, but after seeing some tariff here it is definitely inferior :frown:
But I believe the data you are looking at is from the 2012 cycle where BL changed their admissions criteria from solely UKCAT cut off to straight UCAS tariff ranking. When I applied to BL last year, we assumed that it was the same as in just UCAS tariff ranking but then they introduced the UCAS + UKCAT combo which we were not explicitly told about but had a feeling it was going to go this way. So I believe that now once you reach interview then the academics are left behind and it's down to your interview performance. BUT I could be wrong :smile:
Im a big worrier xD
Original post by mariomario1
Hi there! Don't worry about your UKCAT too much it's a decent enough score. I'm starting at Barts this year and got in with a very low score of 645 :biggrin: . It's not the end of the world and your UCAS tariff seems very good with those predictions.

Hi:biggrin:, i'm a bit new at all this. Pls what is meant by "UCAS points" or "UCAS tariff". Also applying this year for Graduate entry Med
Original post by Natasha001
Hi:biggrin:, i'm a bit new at all this. Pls what is meant by "UCAS points" or "UCAS tariff". Also applying this year for Graduate entry Med

You don't need to worry about it as a graduate :smile: It's for people with A levels like an A at A level is 120 points, it's all on the UCAS website! There is also a grad BL thread which might be more informative as well :biggrin:
Hello, can anyone please suggest a really good UKCAT online practice i can subscribe for? e.g Kaplan, Ace medicine etc:biggrin:
Original post by raveen789
You don't need to worry about it as a graduate :smile: It's for people with A levels like an A at A level is 120 points, it's all on the UCAS website! There is also a grad BL thread which might be more informative as well :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!:biggrin:
Reply 195
Is this troll? ^^^^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purple and gold
He,
I am really confused about something.

I have A*AAA which adds to a UCAS tariff of 500. But I also have AAAA at AS Level, would I have to add AS aswell or not?

Also I have a UKCAT of 690. With this tariff do you think that I should apply here?

Thanks and please help I am gutted. :frown:

If you have 4 full A levels I assume you don't actually have 4 AS levels as well unless you took 8 different subjects. For example, I have AAAa. Which gives me UCAS scores from my 3 A levels and then my one AS I didn't take forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there. I'm really confused about whether I should apply here.
I got 2A*s, 9As and 1B for my GCSEs.
For my AS levels I got AABB, and il be predicted A*A*A as I'm dropping my fourth AS level.
This gives me a total of 450 ucas points.
I did my UKCAT and got 735 (average)
Would it be wise to apply here?
for the ucas tarrif- are the OCR nationals level 2 or 3?
do functional skills and key skills apply for medicine??
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending