The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

I haven't found a 2014 thread for the A100 entry, so I made one :smile:

I did however, find some admission stats for last year - they can be found here.

I advise anyone to order/download the Barts and The London Undergraduate Prospectus, as it has an excellent few pages on selection. The link to order/download one is here.

Anyone else here looking to apply to Barts? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KanKan

I haven't found a 2014 thread for the A100 entry, so I made one :smile:

I did however, find some admission stats for last year - they can be found here.

Anyone else here looking to apply to Barts? :biggrin:

I might be. :smile: It depends on my UKCAT really. I've already achieved my results (didn't apply last year) and I have 530 UCAS tariff points. I did the UKCAT last year but didn't prepare for it well at all and got 610. :redface: If that happens again, I might not apply just to be on the safe side. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cat-lover
I might be. :smile: It depends on my UKCAT really. I've already achieved my results (didn't apply last year) and I have 530 UCAS tariff points. I did the UKCAT last year but didn't prepare for it well at all and got 610. :redface: If that happens again, I might not apply just to be on the safe side. :frown:

Ooh that's the same as the UCAS points I'll be predicted :biggrin: which means we will probably need around 690 on the UCKAT to secure an interview based on last years stats.

I doubt it'll happen again, people improve their scores all the time :smile: I'll hope to see you there next year :biggrin:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply 3
Original post by KanKan
Ooh that's the same as the UCAS points I'll be predicted :biggrin: which means we will probably need around 690 on the UCKAT to secure an interview based on last years stats.

I doubt it'll happen again, people improve their scores all the time :smile: I'll hope to see you there next year :biggrin:

Yay! :smile: I'm having trouble figuring out how you calculated the UKCAT score :colondollar: did you just estimate it? And hopefully my score will improve haha. I'm really worried about the changes to the UKCAT though. I wonder if that means the average score/score we need might decrease a little..

Anyways yes, hopefully we will both get in :biggrin:
Reply 4
Yay! :smile: I'm having trouble figuring out how you calculated the UKCAT score :colondollar: did you just estimate it? And hopefully my score will improve haha. I'm really worried about the changes to the UKCAT though. I wonder if that means the average score/score we need might decrease a little..

Anyways yes, hopefully we will both get in :biggrin:

Using the stats from last year:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf

They gave an example of the Mid-Range examples of successful (for interview) applicants.

Tariff 520
UKCAT 2,760

We got pretty close to 520, so we'd probably need around the 2760 figure. 2760/4= 690
So yeah, its really an estimate.

I doubt the average score will decrease tbh, because the scoring system is based on what the average person gets. It probably means that to get the same score as last year, you may be allowed to miss an extra 2/3 questions or something. That's just my random guess, I really have no clue :P
Reply 5
Original post by KanKan
Using the stats from last year:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf

They gave an example of the Mid-Range examples of successful (for interview) applicants.

We got pretty close to 520, so we'd probably need around the 2760 figure. 2760/4= 690
So yeah, its really an estimate.

I doubt the average score will decrease tbh, because the scoring system is based on what the average person gets. It probably means that to get the same score as last year, you may be allowed to miss an extra 2/3 questions or something. That's just my random guess, I really have no clue :P

I see. :smile: That makes sense, thank you! And I have no idea either. I'm just worried I'm gonna do worse because of the changes, haha. :tongue: When are you doing yours?
Reply 6
I see. :smile: That makes sense, thank you! And I have no idea either. I'm just worried I'm gonna do worse because of the changes, haha. :tongue: When are you doing yours?

7th of September, you?
really want to apply to Barts! Havent done my UKCAT yet but I will be predicted 530 UCAS points which seems sufficient to apply. Just hope that my UKCAT is good enough!
Reply 8
Original post by KanKan
7th of September, you?

I was just about to book it actually. Torn between the 3rd, 8th or 16th. I have nothing else to worry about other than PS so thinking of booking it for the 16th to have lots of time to prepare for it. I particularly want to learn how to use the number pad quick enough. The calculator was really fiddly and I was so slow typing in numbers last year. :frown: I also need to spend a lot of time on AR, that's my worst section. :tongue: How are you preparing? :biggrin:

Original post by tamil4
really want to apply to Barts! Havent done my UKCAT yet but I will be predicted 530 UCAS points which seems sufficient to apply. Just hope that my UKCAT is good enough!

Welcome to the thread! :smile: I was worried my UCAS points might be too low so it's very reassuring seeing two other people with the same. :biggrin: Good luck on your UKCAT! When have you booked it for?
Reply 9
I was just about to book it actually. Torn between the 3rd, 8th or 16th. I have nothing else to worry about other than PS so thinking of booking it for the 16th to have lots of time to prepare for it. I particularly want to learn how to use the number pad quick enough. The calculator was really fiddly and I was so slow typing in numbers last year. :frown: I also need to spend a lot of time on AR, that's my worst section. :tongue: How are you preparing? :biggrin:

Medify and two books. Hopefully that's good enough. I'm in India right now for holiday, so its really tough to find a time to do some solid work. I did a diagnostic mock and got 650 - which is very reassuring :biggrin:. My worst sections were QR and AR too :/ How are you preparing for the new VR? They seem deadly!

Welcome to the thread! :smile: I was worried my UCAS points might be too low so it's very reassuring seeing two other people with the same. :biggrin: Good luck on your UKCAT! When have you booked it for?

Yeah same, I feel a bit better about applying to barts now! I have it on the 27th. It's so soon! :s-smilie: Have you done yours yet?
Original post by KanKan
Medify and two books. Hopefully that's good enough. I'm in India right now for holiday, so its really tough to find a time to do some solid work. I did a diagnostic mock and got 650 - which is very reassuring :biggrin:. My worst sections were QR and AR too :/ How are you preparing for the new VR? They seem deadly!

I didn't try Medify last year but will try it this year. Is it useful? I'm assuming the mock was on Medify? :tongue: Well done on the 650 though. I'm sure you'll do even better on the real thing! And I'm assuming you mean the new AR rather than VR..I absolutely hate it. Didn't think I could do any worse but really feel like I might get the worst score in the world now. :tongue: QR in my real UKCAT last year was an absolute nightmare. Literally got about 4 short questions. I found the real QR harder than all my practice. :frown: Hope that doesn't happen again.

Original post by tamil4
Yeah same, I feel a bit better about applying to barts now! I have it on the 27th. It's so soon! :s-smilie: Have you done yours yet?

Nope, booking mine for September. Really worried I might mess up. :redface: Good luck though! How did you prepare? :smile:
Reply 12
I didn't try Medify last year but will try it this year. Is it useful? I'm assuming the mock was on Medify? :tongue: Well done on the 650 though. I'm sure you'll do even better on the real thing! And I'm assuming you mean the new AR rather than VR..I absolutely hate it. Didn't think I could do any worse but really feel like I might get the worst score in the world now. :tongue: QR in my real UKCAT last year was an absolute nightmare. Literally got about 4 short questions. I found the real QR harder than all my practice. :frown: Hope that doesn't happen again.
)

Medify is very helpful, but for me the SJT questions are broken :frown:. I did the mock from the Kaplan book, I really like it, its very useful - I sat it in the proper 2 hour time slot.

And no, I mean the new VR :P The comprehension type questions. All the questions on Medify are T/F/CT, none are the new comprehension type :/

I'm aiming for 700+ this year, we'll see how it goes :smile:
Original post by KanKan
Medify is very helpful, but for me the SJT questions are broken :frown:. I did the mock from the Kaplan book, I really like it, its very useful - I sat it in the proper 2 hour time slot.

And no, I mean the new VR :P The comprehension type questions. All the questions on Medify are T/F/CT, none are the new comprehension type :/

I'm aiming for 700+ this year, we'll see how it goes :smile:

Oh no. :frown: Is this the book they give you at the really expensive course or the book you can buy online without having to do the course? Apologies if you can only get the book through the course :colondollar: And new VR? :eek: What changed? I thought the only changes were AR and the addition of the SJT section. Thanks for telling me, I don't think I'd have known otherwise. :tongue: Good luck!

Nope, booking mine for September. Really worried I might mess up. :redface: Good luck though! How did you prepare? :smile:

Good luck to you too! I've done the 600Q book and i've got a Medify account. Havent done any of the mocks yet though :/ Really hope I do well!
Where else are planning to apply>
Reply 15
Oh no. :frown: Is this the book they give you at the really expensive course or the book you can buy online without having to do the course? Apologies if you can only get the book through the course :colondollar: And new VR? :eek: What changed? I thought the only changes were AR and the addition of the SJT section. Thanks for telling me, I don't think I'd have known otherwise. :tongue: Good luck!

Its the book you can buy online :smile:

Original post by tamil4
Good luck to you too! I've done the 600Q book and i've got a Medify account. Havent done any of the mocks yet though :/ Really hope I do well!
Where else are planning to apply>

Thank you! :smile: I'm sure you'll do really well. :biggrin: I'm actually not sure yet. It depends on my UKCAT. :redface: Really like Barts and the London, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex and KCL. Newcastle and Leeds also seem like awesome universities. Imperial is definitely on my list but the rest depend on my UKCAT score. How about you?
Original post by KanKan

Thank you! :smile:
Thank you! :smile: I'm sure you'll do really well. :biggrin: I'm actually not sure yet. It depends on my UKCAT. :redface: Really like Barts and the London, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex and KCL. Newcastle and Leeds also seem like awesome universities. Imperial is definitely on my list but the rest depend on my UKCAT score. How about you?

leeds are doing bmat this year right?
i'm thinking of barts, uea, sgul and not sure of my 4th but it all depends on the UKCAT. I wont be applying to the BMAT ones though, my academics aren't too great.
Original post by tamil4
leeds are doing bmat this year right?
i'm thinking of barts, uea, sgul and not sure of my 4th but it all depends on the UKCAT. I wont be applying to the BMAT ones though, my academics aren't too great.

It says 2015 or later on the website so thankfully no. :tongue: I think I'm gonna bomb the BMAT honestly but trying to be positive. Imperial's a pretty aspirational choice for me. :redface: I actually picked up the whole Psychology A-level in my A2 year because I realised picking Physics was a mistake as I can't achieve an A. Dropped Maths at AS for that same reason. Dunno how I'm gonna get through the BMAT not being the best at Physics or Maths. Hopefully it'll all go well though!

Original post by KanKan

On another note, do you guys reckon any of the universities would have issues with me doing the whole Psychology A-level in one exam session? I sat all the exams in May/June 2013. It was still within the 2 years I was at sixth form so I'm guessing there won't be an issue. I emailed Imperial asking them this but they haven't replied yet. I think I might email some other universities. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest