The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy96
Exactly, that's what I thought :redface: seems a lot fairer for everyone that way! I'd rather no one miss out, but I think Birmingham would be easier for a lot of us. It took me a good few hours going home from London to Southport in the summer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, fair enough.
Reply 5821
Original post by Endless Blue
Birmingham seems like the ideal place for a meet up, tbh. London is definitely nicer, but I don't think it's fair to expect people from far-ish north to come all the way down when everyone could compromise and make it a bit easier. If you go with Virgin it won't take much more than an hour from Euston to Birmingham New St.

Conversely you can't expect southerners to travel all the way to Birmingham. It may not seem that far, but because most train lines converge on London it takes 3 - 3.5 hours from Bournemouth (near enough where I am) to Birmingham. That's longer than it takes someone on the train from Liverpool to London Euston or Newcastle to London King's Cross. both of which are between 2 - 3 hours.
Original post by Lucy96
Exactly, that's what I thought :redface: seems a lot fairer for everyone that way! I'd rather no one miss out, but I think Birmingham would be easier for a lot of us. It took me a good few hours going home from London to Southport in the summer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I would have thought so too. I guess it will be a difficult situation, but hopefully we can ensure that nobody has to miss out due to travel/costs etc! :smile:

Original post by keromedic
Wuu2? I'm talking to my lovestruck friend from Trinidad and trying to do some sightreading practice.

Watching Game of Thrones. I'm hooked! Then gotta do some LNAT prep and homework :sigh:. Sounds cool, though. Is this a long time friend?

Original post by adi19956
Conversely you can't expect southerners to travel all the way to Birmingham. It may not seem that far, but because most train lines converge on London it takes 3 - 3.5 hours from Bournemouth (near enough where I am) to Birmingham. That's longer than it takes someone on the train from Liverpool to London Euston or Newcastle to London King's Cross. both of which are between 2 - 3 hours.

Where else would you suggest, then? It takes just as long to get from Newcastle to Kings Cross as it does from Bournemouth to Birmingham. (I've just looked at this online to confirm, and they're more-or-less equal - some have longer times for one and some the other.) I just think there needs to be a compromise, that is all. We know that there are several people (at least) from the north on this thread, and other than your good self, I'm not aware of anyone else here inhabiting the very bottom coasts of England. But I'm happy to go wherever the consensus is. Wouldn't want anyone who would really like to go to miss out due to costs/travel.
Ah, fair enough.

It's going to be impossible to please everyone :tongue: looks like it's going to have to be somewhere like London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Watching Game of Thrones. I'm hooked! Then gotta do some LNAT prep and homework :sigh:. Sounds cool, though. Is this a long time friend?

Kinda. We're not that close but I'm the only person he feels comfortable confiding in. What hw are u doing?

Original post by Lucy96
It's going to be impossible to please everyone :tongue: looks like it's going to have to be somewhere like London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will there be alcohol? As I said, I'm not to bothered although I'm slightly reluctant to travel to wales although I willing, if I must :tongue:.
It's 1:50 from manchester picadilly to birmingham and 2:20 form manchester picadilly to london euston.
Reply 5825
Where else would you suggest, then? It takes just as long to get from Newcastle to Kings Cross as it does from Bournemouth to Birmingham. (I've just looked at this online to confirm, and they're more-or-less equal - some have longer times for one and some the other.) I just think there needs to be a compromise, that is all. We know that there are several people (at least) from the north on this thread, and other than your good self, I'm not aware of anyone else here inhabiting the very bottom coasts of England. But I'm happy to go wherever the consensus is. Wouldn't want anyone who would really like to go to miss out due to costs/travel.

Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

London! I suggest London! Almost all train lines converge on it. I believe we're all from England and Wales so no trouble getting down from Aberdeen or something and London has the Tube and is generally more fun! :biggrin:
Reply 5826
London! I suggest London! Almost all train lines converge on it. I believe we're all from England and Wales so no trouble getting down from Aberdeen or something and London has the Tube and is generally more fun! :biggrin:

London is boring. All congested. And it doesn't take 2-3 hours from Newcastle.
It takes 3 and a Half from Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5827
Original post by Qari
London is boring. All congested. And it doesn't take 2-3 hours from Newcastle.
It takes 3 and a Half from Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does congestion affect it?
Also trains from Newcastle, trains from Leeds. I'm not quite sure where you're getting your figures from, but it takes about 2.5 hours Leeds --> Kings Cross
Reply 5828
Why does congestion affect it?
Also trains from Newcastle, trains from Leeds. I'm not quite sure where you're getting your figures from, but it takes about 2.5 hours Leeds --> Kings Cross

Sorry but in a city that is congested what are you going to do. And you are checking from websites. My cousin takes a train nearly every week and he says it is roughly 3, 3 and a half. Why London, why not in Manchester or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
Sorry but in a city that is congested what are you going to do. And you are checking from websites. My cousin takes a train nearly every week and he says it is roughly 3, 3 and a half. Why London, why not in Manchester or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what you're saying. Website times are usually correct.
Are you coming from Leeds? If so, that is 3 and a half hrs at most. What do you mean by London is congested?
I admit that the journey to Nottingham would be shorter it's just that for the maj London is convenient and less of us would have to get cross country trains if we met in London.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5830
I'm not sure what you're saying. Website times are usually correct.
Are you coming from Leeds? If so, that is 3 and a half hrs at most. What do you mean by London is congested?
I admit that the journey to Nottingham would be shorter it's just that for the maj London is convenient and less of us would have to get cross country trains if we met in London.

So I was right. A quarter of the day I would be on train

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5831
Original post by Qari
So I was right. Just under a quarter of the day I would be on train.
Also it costs quite a bit to get to London

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
So I was right. A quarter of the day I would be on train

Posted from TSR Mobile

As opposed to an eighth, yes. We just need to compile a doc of who's potentially willing at then take it from there.
Reply 5833
Original post by Qari

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well National Rail is the official go to company for train times and apart from when trains are delayed (which they tell you anyway) they are 100% accurate. Also the Tube? London has the Tube if it's a weekday then it's quite quiet during the day, very congested at rush hour though.

From where I live to Manchester is 5 hours, same to Nottingham. This is because, as I said, trains converge on London. Pick any part of the country to London and it's probably quicker than from random cities to other random cities. Manchester to Nottingham isn't that different from Manchester to London.

Considering costs we're looking at about £80 - £120 for all of these journeys (a standard single without rail card or return)
Reply 5834
As opposed to an eighth, yes. We just need to compile a doc of who's potentially willing at then take it from there.

I would have to find a way to earn £100+
Though if it is July I am out.
I would have to keep fasts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
I would have to find a way to earn £100+
Though if it is July I am out.
I would have to keep fasts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, so would levil:frown: and Usy then :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5836
Ah, so would Shadab :frown: and Usy then :frown:

They might not. I mean I would be going sleep no earlier than 3/4 in the morning.
I would have to be back before 9. If train takes 3 and a half hours for me. I would have to leave around 5 and to survive the day I would need at least 8 hours sleep. By the time I get there I would only have an hour to go around London or etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
They might not. I mean I would be going sleep no earlier than 3/4 in the morning.
I would have to be back before 9. If train takes 3 and a half hours for me. I would have to leave around 5 and to survive the day I would need at least 8 hours sleep. By the time I get there I would only have an hour to go around London or etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you need to leave around 5 if you won't go to sleep till 3/4?
Reply 5838
Why would you need to leave around 5 if you won't go to sleep till 3/4?

Fast would open between 8:30-9:45pm depending on the day.
I would go asleep around 3/4am due to special prayer we read in ramadan which can be up to 2 hours and prayer should start at 10:45-11:15 depending on the week. Then stay awake to keep the Fast and read morning prayer before going to sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
Fast would open between 8:30-9:45pm depending on the day.
I would go asleep around 3/4am due to special prayer we read in ramadan which can be up to 2 hours and prayer should start at 10:45-11:15 depending on the week. Then stay awake to keep the Fast and read morning prayer before going to sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of all of this. What do people think about late may, during half term?

Latest