The Student Room Group

Is it immature to say "I love you" too much to your girlfriend?

Question in the title really.

My girlfriend and I are both 21 and going into our final year at university. We'd exchange the magic three words (both of us do it) anything from 3 to about 15 times a day.

I have a feeling it's something people do when they're in high school but then just grow out of. From my friends I'm under the impression it's something you say less and less as you grow older because of maturity (and less insecurity, etc) and so it becomes even more special when it is said.

Is there anyone here who's 21+ in a similar relationship that says it all the time to their boy/girlfriend?
Reply 1
Sounds needy and desperate.
Sounds normal to me
Reply 3
Saying such words all the time makes other people take them less seriously from you.
It does take the meaning away a bit. When I was 19ish I was in a relationship where we'd say it constantly... But we didn't even really mean it tbh, it was just something to say.
Me and my boyfriend now only really say it when we're saying goodbye or occasionally if we really feel the need. Makes it more special.
I don't know, maybe say it less, it could make it sound more special. But if you're too much in love, you can't help yourself right:h:
Reply 6
It isn't really immature but maybe you're overdoing it.
Reply 7
Personally only say it if you mean it and then it'll mean so much more :smile:
Reply 8
Personally, I found that my boyfriend didn't say "I love you" enough!! Sometimes it's just a really nice thing to hear :smile: Obviously only say it if you really mean it though.

I'd say every couple of days is fine. When it comes to girls, most of the time they welcome it. It only comes across as 'needy' if you say it, say, 3 times a day.
3 is enough really, at least once a day regardless of age should be the recommended daily guide line :tongue:
There's nothing wrong with it if she reciprocates and initiates too (and you mean it, of course) - clearly she doesn't find it annoying.
I'd quite like it personally, it's always a nice thing to hear.
As for the 'loses it's meaning' thing, you may say a casual 'love you bye' on a daily basis, but you can always stop, build up the moment, look into their eyes and say it softly or whatever if you want that sort of romantic moment.
Reply 11
I think saying it 15 times a day might be a bit much but if you truly love her then why not let her know it. I've personally only ever told two girls that I love them. One was a girlfriend and I only said it every now and again like when we woke up at the same time and it just felt right and the other was just a really good friend.
Reply 12
I'm the type of person who ends phone calls with 'Love you' as a reflex, I'm really open about saying it which means I have to hold back a little for fear of annoying my boy (he's not said it and I know he doesn't feel it, unforch) - if you both love each other I see no reason not to keep telling each all the time, so long as you mean it! :smile:
I haven't even heard it once... :sad:
I think I say it mainly before going to sleep/waking up, and during good-byes, or occasional moments during the day where it feels fitting :smile: not 15 times a day, but maybe 4/5 times a day. I only see my boyfriend like once a week though, so...

P.s. I don't think it's immature to say it 15 times a day... I think that it's easy to clock up that number.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending