The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Are these grades good enough for History at St Andrews?

I got 4 A's at AS in History, English Lit, RS and Psychology but it's my GCSE's that I'm worried about. I did work hard at GCSE, but my school was in special measures at the time (not an excuse, I know) so I was pleased anyway. Then I moved to a grammar school and now they don't seem so great! :colondollar:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
Biology - B
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
RS - A*
History - A*
Art - B
Maths - B
Distinction * in Business Studies Btec (not a great choice on my part, but I didn't realise in year 9 that equivalent to 2 GCSE's doesn't really mean equivalent at all...)

So, should I apply for History at St Andrews or would it more than likely be a waste of time? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I just have no idea what universities are an option for me. I didn't even realise I could go until January.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Emrys141
I got 4 A's at AS in History, English Lit, RS and Psychology but it's my GCSE's that I'm worried about. I did work hard at GCSE, but my school was in special measures at the time (not an excuse, I know) so I was pleased anyway. Then I moved to a grammar school and now they don't seem so great! :colondollar:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
Biology - B
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
RS - A*
History - A*
Art - B
Maths - B
Distinction * in Business Studies Btec (not a great choice on my part, but I didn't realise in year 9 that equivalent to 2 GCSE's doesn't really mean equivalent at all...)

So, should I apply for History at St Andrews or would it more than likely be a waste of time? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I just have no idea what universities are an option for me. I didn't even realise I could go until January.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs, the important thing is that you have at least a B in both Maths and English, which are the minimum requirement for St Andrews. If you are predicted at least three As at A-Level (the entry requirements for History) then there is no reason why you shouldn't apply. Having four As at AS is a very good start. Of course it's important to remember that just having the required grades in no way guarantees a place. St Andrews gets a lot of applications and History is quite a competitive course so you'll need to have a good personal statement and reference etc.

I know St Andrews likes applicants to have a modern language at GCSE, but I don't know how much weight they place on this.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
Biology - B
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
RS - A*
History - A*
Art - B
Maths - B

Of course they're good enough! Plus, your AS grades clearly show potential to meet the entry requirements.

Besides, an impressive personal statement is a lot more important than GCSE results. Make sure you get that right and you'll stand as good a chance as anybody else.
You need a C at a modern language GCSE OR equivalent. I assume you could do some sort of language course to satisfy that requirement.

My GCSEs were similar to yours A*A*A*A* (2 were a BTEC) AAAAAA B and I got an offer for history :smile: You need a kickass personal statement and a kickass prediction which you should be fine for
Reply 4
Original post by Calllu-m
You need a C at a modern language GCSE OR equivalent. I assume you could do some sort of language course to satisfy that requirement.

My GCSEs were similar to yours A*A*A*A* (2 were a BTEC) AAAAAA B and I got an offer for history :smile: You need a kickass personal statement and a kickass prediction which you should be fine for

I knew that a GCSE in a modern language would be a problem, but I didn't realise it was a requirement (I thought it was preferred) :s-smilie: The thing is, I wouldn't be able to do fulfill it by the time we have to hand in our applications.

Was St Andrews one of your top choices, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you for your advice! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The_Imp
Of course they're good enough! Plus, your AS grades clearly show potential to meet the entry requirements.

Besides, an impressive personal statement is a lot more important than GCSE results. Make sure you get that right and you'll stand as good a chance as anybody else.

Thanks! Although, my personal statement is going terribly, if I'm honest! I'm going to have to ask one of my teachers for advice pretty soon, I think.
I knew that a GCSE in a modern language would be a problem, but I didn't realise it was a requirement (I thought it was preferred) :s-smilie: The thing is, I wouldn't be able to do fulfill it by the time we have to hand in our applications.

Was St Andrews one of your top choices, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you for your advice! :smile:

When they came to my school they said they required a MFL :/ maybe it isn't the case :smile: maybe if you just put it as pending?

It was actually my second choice to Durham at the time I applied. When I visited St. Andrews and Durham, St. Andrews became my top choice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs, the important thing is that you have at least a B in both Maths and English, which are the minimum requirement for St Andrews. If you are predicted at least three As at A-Level (the entry requirements for History) then there is no reason why you shouldn't apply. Having four As at AS is a very good start. Of course it's important to remember that just having the required grades in no way guarantees a place. St Andrews gets a lot of applications and History is quite a competitive course so you'll need to have a good personal statement and reference etc.

I know St Andrews likes applicants to have a modern language at GCSE, but I don't know how much weight they place on this.

Ah, okay :smile: Thank you for your advice - it was really helpful!
Reply 8
When they came to my school they said they required a MFL :/ maybe it isn't the case :smile: maybe if you just put it as pending?

It was actually my second choice to Durham at the time I applied. When I visited St. Andrews and Durham, St. Andrews became my top choice :smile:

No, you're probably right about the language. I might email the department and ask them, to be sure.

Oh right :smile: Both look lovely, what was it that stood out for you at St Andrews?
Reply 9

Yeah, it's a requirement for the faculty of arts to have a modern language. As Callum said, you can still do it and put it as pending on your UCAS. The Dean of Arts can make an exception, but I'm not sure how likely that is considering it's one of the basic requirements.
Reply 10
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah, it's a requirement for the faculty of arts to have a modern language. As Callum said, you can still do it and put it as pending on your UCAS. The Dean of Arts can make an exception, but I'm not sure how likely that is considering it's one of the basic requirements.

Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up :smile:
Reply 11
In addition to the specific subject entry requirements listed above, candidates must also possess the following minimum qualifications, although the Dean of Faculty has the authority to exempt applicants from one or more of these:

SQA Credit Level Standard Grade, GCSE (A or B) or equivalent, or IB at least Standard IB Level, in English and Mathematics.

It is also desirable that candidates possess the following minimum qualifications:

SQA Credit Level Standard Grade, GCSE (A or B) or equivalent, or IB at least Standard IB Level in a language other than English (with the exception of Modern Languages students who will have higher entry requirements).

This is from the list of degrees and entry requirements (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/admissions/prospectus/2013-2014/Degrees%20and%20their%20Entry%20Requirements%20for%202014.pdf)

I would suggest that "desirable" means "not compulsory"
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
This is from the list of degrees and entry requirements (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/admissions/prospectus/2013-2014/Degrees%20and%20their%20Entry%20Requirements%20for%202014.pdf)

I would suggest that "desirable" means "not compulsory"

Thanks for this, it was compulsory back in the day :moon:
Reply 13

Things do seem to change quite a bit - admittedly I only noticed it today as I had to have an A-Level in a language anyway

It was compulsory for 2013 entry :colonhash:

No, you're probably right about the language. I might email the department and ask them, to be sure.

Oh right :smile: Both look lovely, what was it that stood out for you at St Andrews?

Durham was REALLY unfriendly. I went to the lecture for my course (combined arts) and the lecturer seemed a bit snobby and the students seemed very snobby, and even though I went to a private boarding school, I was very put off by it. St. Andrews had a much better feel, and I like the flexible system
Reply 15
I went to the lecture for my course (combined arts) and the lecturer seemed a bit snobby

A bit off topic, but I have to agree with this.
Reply 16
It was compulsory for 2013 entry :colonhash:

Durham was REALLY unfriendly. I went to the lecture for my course (combined arts) and the lecturer seemed a bit snobby and the students seemed very snobby, and even though I went to a private boarding school, I was very put off by it. St. Andrews had a much better feel, and I like the flexible system

I'm not surprised you would be put off by that! I certainly would be, it's definitely something I worry about.
Reply 17

Think it has been compulsory since time began - but maybe they have updated it to fit in with the CfE in Scottish schools as I think this means pupils are less likely to do a language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending