The Student Room Group

Decline and Reapply

My heart is set on veterinary medicine, however, the scientific aspect is the most important to me so my 5th choice is hopefully going to be medicine. I am planning on applying 3 times for vetmed, and then I will accept my fate that I am not getting in. 1 application has already failed, and there I had no 5th choice. This second time (2014 entry) I want to have medicine as my 5th choice to see if I have a chance to get in, but if im accepted by medicine butnot vetmed, I will reapply for 2015, again with medicine as my 5th choice. If I decline my offer will I have no choice of getting one again the following year?

Scroll to see replies

It probably won't totally hinder your choices, though its quite probable you'll have to explain why you declined at interview. I would imagine writing a vet med and medicine PS would be very difficult though so I would expect to be declined from one or the other on the grounds that you haven't written an adequate PS. In addition I thought you could only apply for 4 medical/vet med courses, sorry if I'm wrong and you've already researched it, but that was my understanding.

Having said that I know how you feel because I would love to study vet med, but I am struggling to afford to do all the WEX so I think I will have to go for medicine (which was my original preference when I left school) because I too want to study it for the scientific aspect.
Reply 2
I thought it was just 4 vwt schools but that does make sense so ill have to look into it.
Yes i was going to do my ps fully on vet med, but emphasise my scientific interest and that I want to help both humans and animals. I will not sabtage my vetmed application by changing my personal statement!

Im so stressed with the amount of work ex im having to travel to as well, thanks for the help. Good luck!
I'm sure you're aware in the first instance that it is incredibly unlikely that you'll be given a medicine offer.

But should you get one and decline, no medical school (perhaps other than the one you declined) will know you've done so and it will not prejudice your future applications (except for maybe that medical school).
I hope you don't get into medicine if your main interest is veterinary medicine. The NHS doesn't need someone who isn't 100% dedicated to the profession.
Reply 5
As odd as it sounds, if you're really interested in the science of the body (or animals), I genuinely think it'd be much more fulfilling to do a bio-related degree. It may be much more fascinating to do a graduate degree in a science field. Compared to say, someone who's done 6 years of degrees in biological sciences (i.e. bachelor's, masters, etc) would probably know a lot more about the science of things than a vet or a fresh medical graduate.

As a side note, I was under the assumption that you can only use 4 slots for vet/med/dentistry combined?
(edited 10 years ago)
I remember contacting UCAS about a similar issue earlier and got the confirmation that you can only apply to 4 med/vet/dentistry courses per cycle.
I believe you cannot have a fifth choice for any veterinary, medicine or dentistry course...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by leprechaaun
My heart is set on veterinary medicine, however, the scientific aspect is the most important to me so my 5th choice is hopefully going to be medicine. I am planning on applying 3 times for vetmed, and then I will accept my fate that I am not getting in. 1 application has already failed, and there I had no 5th choice. This second time (2014 entry) I want to have medicine as my 5th choice to see if I have a chance to get in, but if im accepted by medicine butnot vetmed, I will reapply for 2015, again with medicine as my 5th choice. If I decline my offer will I have no choice of getting one again the following year?

I'm pretty sure you can only apply to four Vet/Med/Dentistry choices, so you wouldn't be able to put Medicine as a 5th choice anyway. Even if you could, you'd have no chance of getting an offer with a vet med statement. Medical schools are oversubscribed enough with purely medical applicants, a vet med statement would be an automatic rejection for sure. Could you not put a course like Veterinary Sciences as an insurance*? At least that way if you are rejected 3 times then you have a good course that'll be useful if you decide to reapply to vet med as a graduate :smile:

*EDIT: For example, a quick search on UCAS shows that the Royal Veterinary College do Bioveterinary Sciences course. If you're keen on becoming a vet, something like this could be a better insurance than Medicine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pittawithcheese
I believe you cannot have a fifth choice for any veterinary, medicine or dentistry course...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can have a fifth choice. It just can't be one of the ones you've listed.
Reply 10
Original post by Larry31
I'm pretty sure you can only apply to four Vet/Med/Dentistry choices, so you wouldn't be able to put Medicine as a 5th choice anyway. Even if you could, you'd have no chance of getting an offer with a vet med statement. Medical schools are oversubscribed enough with purely medical applicants, a vet med statement would be an automatic rejection for sure. Could you not put a course like Veterinary Sciences as an insurance*? At least that way if you are rejected 3 times then you have a good course that'll be useful if you decide to reapply to vet med as a graduate :smile:

*EDIT: For example, a quick search on UCAS shows that the Royal Veterinary College do Bioveterinary Sciences course. If you're keen on becoming a vet, something like this could be a better insurance than Medicine.

Theres no way i would be able to afford it! And yeah that rule is very poorly written everywhere ive looked but understand now.
Reply 11
Original post by yorkshire.lad
I hope you don't get into medicine if your main interest is veterinary medicine. The NHS doesn't need someone who isn't 100% dedicated to the profession.

No need for that, everyone needs a back up. And not everyone who applies to medicine, even thosethat get in, may not be 100% certain of everything
Reply 12
Hi,

One thing you have to be certain of, is that if you're applying for either vet/med/dentistry undergraduate courses, then you should ONLY apply for one of them.

The reason being is that it conveys your commitment. It's true that other unis will not see what you apply for, but all these courses are SO competitive, and you can only have one personal statement, so if you talk about animals in one personal statement then apply for med it's 100% decline. (And if you make the mistake for applying for 2 courses in the same uni, then that's almost a guaranteed decline too.

If you're having trouble with application process etc. Then just message me, since I'm applying for dentistry this year, and I'll do everything in my power to help you :biggrin:

Kind regards,

Ibz
Reply 13
Theres no way i would be able to afford it! And yeah that rule is very poorly written everywhere ive looked but understand now.

Yeah I know it'd be an absolute pain to finance...it maybe just something worth thinking about if you get to application no.3 and (regrettably) are still unsuccessful. I suppose it depends what you're willing to settle for if you can't get veterinary medicine, perhaps veterinary nursing? :smile:
I agree that medicine is not something you put on a UCAS form as a backup career. If you really want to be a vet then use 4 places for vet courses and the 5th for another course you may fancy. I probably wouldn't go for vet nursing and would go for a more academic science course but do something that you'd genuinely be interested in doing. Trying 3 years in a row for a particular course seems a waste of time to me. Fair enough trying a second time when you know your A level (or equivalent) results and can do more voluntary work/ more exams etc but I'm not sure what you'd be able to do in the third year that would improve your chances and you'd be better doing a scientific degree and applying as a graduate or looking at alternative careers.
Reply 15
Original post by taysidefrog
I agree that medicine is not something you put on a UCAS form as a backup career. If you really want to be a vet then use 4 places for vet courses and the 5th for another course you may fancy. I probably wouldn't go for vet nursing and would go for a more academic science course but do something that you'd genuinely be interested in doing. Trying 3 years in a row for a particular course seems a waste of time to me. Fair enough trying a second time when you know your A level (or equivalent) results and can do more voluntary work/ more exams etc but I'm not sure what you'd be able to do in the third year that would improve your chances and you'd be better doing a scientific degree and applying as a graduate or looking at alternative careers.

More experience, that would be my only downfall. I already know my a levels and will still be applying 3 times because i dont want to do anything else. This is why other 5th choices are hard to make a decision on!
More experience, that would be my only downfall. I already know my a levels and will still be applying 3 times because i dont want to do anything else. This is why other 5th choices are hard to make a decision on!

Then don't make a fifth choice. If this is the only thing you want to do, why bother filling it in? Leave it blank. You can add it in later in any case if you change your mind.
I can see the advantage of reapplying to vet school in the second year if you don't have enough experience as then you have something to add to last year's application. If you don't succeed this year though I don't see that just reapplying again for 2015 entry is likely to be successful as you have nothing extra to add in 2015, and I'd have thought that if you really want to be a vet then you'd be better doing a 3 year science degree in a related field and then reapplying. I'd have thought that would be more likely to end up with you being a vet in the long term than just faffing around for a year. Vet school application officers will give you better advice on this than medics though.
Reply 18

I know it may sound harsh, but trying 3 times might be a bit of a waste of time. They'll ask why you've reapplied again after the second one, and all you've got to say is "because I don't want to do anything else". Of course, hopefully it won't work out like that, but honestly, it'll be more useful to do a 3 year degree and apply for the grad entry programmes. That'll be 3+4=7. Getting in on your third time I'd say, is as equally likely as getting into a grad programme. If you apply for a third time, it would have taken a total of 6 years (extra gap year + 5 years). It'll be a difference of a year. Of course, this is under the assumption that you get in your safety degree this time, and don't get in this time for vet.
Without wanting to sound rude to the people on here, the advice on the vet med forum is much more appropriate. There are people who re-apply 2,3,4,5+ times for vet med because there is nothing else they want to do. Vet schools are maybe more used to this than med schools, I don't know. But bear in mind that there is no funding for a graduate vet med degree whereas there is for a graduate med degree, and you have already said you can't afford to do a second degree.

I think you're panicking over not very much, you haven't applied yet. Just wait and see! You may be a tiny bit light on some areas of your WEX, but you can always improve on that if you have to take a gap year or book up the experience and tell them at interview that you have the experience booked up. Just apply and see what happens, if you get rejected then you won't be alone. Find out what was wrong, go away and improve it and come back even better next year. I'd suggest going back to the vet med forum, because as I said with no disrespect to the people on here, advising you to do a biological degree first is not really appropriate advice if you don't have the £45,000+ to pay the fees for your second degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending