The Student Room Group

Going to uni with 2 A2s and 2 AS levels?

I got my AS level results and ended up getting AAE - the A's in English Lit + Psychology and the E in biology.

I don't really want to retake biology as I completely hate it and I've decided to pick up sociology. The only problem is that I want to go to university this year and I was thinking to do it in one year, but I feel like I may end up making my overall grade drop.

Would it be possible for me to get into Uni this year with 2 A2s and 2 ASs?
I am predicted an A* next year for English and an A for Psychology... please please please help!
Reply 1
Original post by insomniacfreak
I got my AS level results and ended up getting AAE - the A's in English Lit + Psychology and the E in biology.

I don't really want to retake biology as I completely hate it and I've decided to pick up sociology. The only problem is that I want to go to university this year and I was thinking to do it in one year, but I feel like I may end up making my overall grade drop.

Would it be possible for me to get into Uni this year with 2 A2s and 2 ASs?
I am predicted an A* next year for English and an A for Psychology... please please please help!

So many universities will close the door on you im afraid, as A2 is much much harder than AS's.

How about taking a different subject and fast tracking that? However im not sure what universities your looking at. Best to email them your situation and see if they accept.
Original post by Jkizer
So many universities will close the door on you im afraid, as A2 is much much harder than AS's.

How about taking a different subject and fast tracking that? However im not sure what universities your looking at. Best to email them your situation and see if they accept.

That's kind of what I was looking at doing, but what I'm afraid of is that my grades might drop in my other subjects if I'm focusing mostly on one subject? I'm thinking of applying to:

SOAS, Queen Mary, Hertfordshire and City
Reply 3
Original post by insomniacfreak
That's kind of what I was looking at doing, but what I'm afraid of is that my grades might drop in my other subjects if I'm focusing mostly on one subject? I'm thinking of applying to:

SOAS, Queen Mary, Hertfordshire and City

its tough but from the approximate knowledge, City, SOAS and QMary's are pretty strong based universities, which i imagine they will have fairly strong entry requirements including 3 A2 levels.

The thing is, i personally think 2 AS levels is more work than 1 full A2 level in a year, because you will be focused on 3 Clear cut subjects rather than 4. Also AS/A2 often overlaps in some subjects, which will make the overall A level much easier. With 2 AS levels, you may have to spend more time overall alongside the difficulty of remembering all the non-lapping topics.

Do you know any subjects which may be available for fast tracking for you?
Original post by Jkizer
its tough but from the approximate knowledge, City, SOAS and QMary's are pretty strong based universities, which i imagine they will have fairly strong entry requirements including 3 A2 levels.

The thing is, i personally think 2 AS levels is more work than 1 full A2 level in a year, because you will be focused on 3 Clear cut subjects rather than 4. Also AS/A2 often overlaps in some subjects, which will make the overall A level much easier. With 2 AS levels, you may have to spend more time overall alongside the difficulty of remembering all the non-lapping topics.

Do you know any subjects which may be available for fast tracking for you?

I'm dropping biology so that's going to stay as an AS. I'm planning to do Sociology as a fast track but I feel like it's going to be very difficult. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest