The Student Room Group

English Personal Statement help

I have talked about 2 books and 2 poems so far in my personal statement (first draft) should I mention more? Do I need to go into great detail? I compared the poems (the Rabbit Catcher poems by Plath and Hughes) and talked about Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice and have discussed similarities with North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell?? :frown::frown::confused::confused:
Reply 1
Original post by abbymonty
I have talked about 2 books and 2 poems so far in my personal statement (first draft) should I mention more? Do I need to go into great detail? I compared the poems (the Rabbit Catcher poems by Plath and Hughes) and talked about Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice and have discussed similarities with North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell?? :frown::frown::confused::confused:

It entirely depends on your preferences in literature! speak about and go in to depth about, what you love and what you are passionate about! don't list millions of books simply because you feel this will impress the universities!

I'm in the process of re-drafting (and re-drafting and re-drafting hehe!) my English personal statement, and I've included examples of literature that have caught my attention specifically.

As long as you don't just list your novels - actually give your own opinions and talk about why you have included them in your statement - you should show that you are a unique candidate!

Good luck! I will need it to, haha!

:smile:
Reply 2
It is so daunting! I've done my first draft will probably revisit it when I have chilled out a bit because currently I am panicking haha! Thanks so much, best of luck to you too :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by abbymonty
It is so daunting! I've done my first draft will probably revisit it when I have chilled out a bit because currently I am panicking haha! Thanks so much, best of luck to you too :biggrin:

I know! I think one of the main reasons I feel so terrified about the whole process, is because I have about 3 uni's that If I don't get offers from, I will actually cry! it's so competitive, and I am just hoping that everything works in my favour!

And you are more than welcome! :smile: good luck to you! it's reassuring to know that everyone is in the same boat around about now though!
Reply 4
I know what you mean! I have a favourite and I am so worried I won't get an offer from there!

I bet in a few months we will think all this worrying was pointless.. but at least it can be motivating :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending