The Student Room Group

Should I take 4 or 5 choices at AS?

Im a bit stuck as to whether I should just take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at AS level, or take computing as well. I've got A*'s in all these subjects at GCSE, and I'm aiming at taking computer science at uni. I already know how to code to well above the course standard, so it would only be the theory portion that I'd have to learn.

Any advice?
Thanks
Hi. This is an Oxford answer, but we're not too different from other top Unis when it comes to CompSci so I hope it will be useful to you.

Our standard conditional offer for the straight CompSci degree is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We only (normally) make offers based on three A Levels. We notice if you've done more, but they won't be included in any offer we make. AAAA (or even AAAAA) wouldn't be seen as equivalent to A*AA. Taking additional, (especially less relevant subjects) isn't really going to increase your chances of admission. The majority of successful candidates A Level-taking candidates we've seen in the last few years have done 4 subjects to A2. Some will have done 3, a few will have done more. But, for us it's important that you don't over-stretch yourself and miss the A*.

Computing is a very mathematical subject (especially the way we teach it here at Oxford.) We are very much looking for students who have developed their mathematical thinking. For us Maths is essential, and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our degrees. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics.

We are looking for students with a genuine interest in CompSci. Our courses start from first principles so we aren't looking for any specific knowledge. A Level Computing is one way of developing and demonstrating this interest, but there are many other (less formal) ways. You wouldn't be penalised when applying for a CompSci course for having chosen not to take it at A Level. We talk more about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by callumryan
Im a bit stuck as to whether I should just take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at AS level, or take computing as well. I've got A*'s in all these subjects at GCSE, and I'm aiming at taking computer science at uni. I already know how to code to well above the course standard, so it would only be the theory portion that I'd have to learn.

Any advice?
Thanks

Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Hi. This is an Oxford answer, but we're not too different from other top Unis when it comes to CompSci so I hope it will be useful to you.

Our standard conditional offer for the straight CompSci degree is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We only (normally) make offers based on three A Levels. We notice if you've done more, but they won't be included in any offer we make. AAAA (or even AAAAA) wouldn't be seen as equivalent to A*AA. Taking additional, (especially less relevant subjects) isn't really going to increase your chances of admission. The majority of successful candidates A Level-taking candidates we've seen in the last few years have done 4 subjects to A2. Some will have done 3, a few will have done more. But, for us it's important that you don't over-stretch yourself and miss the A*.

Computing is a very mathematical subject (especially the way we teach it here at Oxford.) We are very much looking for students who have developed their mathematical thinking. For us Maths is essential, and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our degrees. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics.

We are looking for students with a genuine interest in CompSci. Our courses start from first principles so we aren't looking for any specific knowledge. A Level Computing is one way of developing and demonstrating this interest, but there are many other (less formal) ways. You wouldn't be penalised when applying for a CompSci course for having chosen not to take it at A Level. We talk more about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html

Hope that helps.

What makes you think he wants to go to Oxford? (genuine question, not saying you guys are eletist and think everyone wants to apply there or anything of the sort)

You could have simply stated "No, most unis look at top 3 A2's."

And in my opinion (since you posted yours) Cambridge > Oxford.

Op just do 4 a's levels and do 3 a 2's.

PS: I'm not saying oxford didn't give good advice, i'm just saying people are too hyped about doing so many a levels, when a simple short answer, like No all unis take the top 3 would be better suited.
FYI I also go to a school where we have many ex Cambridge and oxford admin tutors, who say what I am.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by blueray
What makes you think he wants to go to Oxford? (genuine question, not saying you guys are eletist and think everyone wants to apply there or anything of the sort)

Cam > Oxford is far too simplistic. Cambridge is arguably better for Maths, Oxford is arguably better for Philosophy...Cam does NatSci while Oxford does the individual sciences...Cam interviews more people than Oxford but also has the pool...they each have tiny differences from each other and are basically on the same intellectual plane. Most people who prefer one over the other do it for small reasons, or the individual course they're doing, or even a hunch.

As to the question posed in the OP, I would personally change Chem for Computing if you have a big interest in computing, thread-starter. Doing 5 won't put you at any advantage.
Original post by blueray

This sounds horribly bitter. They were just trying to help, and gave advice specific to their own admissions. They also stated that their system is similar to other top universities, which presumably someone with lots of A*s would be aiming for. I seriously doubt you would have written that if, say, Manchester had written it.
Reply 5
Take four if you don't want to die internally.
Reply 6
Original post by blueray

Wow you are an angry one!

The Oxford poster clearly stated 'but we're not too different from other top Unis when it comes to CompSci', thus showing they aren't being 'arrogant' or 'elitist' like you say.

Also, I double checked his post and nowhere does it say 'Oxford > Cambridge', which makes me wonder why you posted your opinion with that excuse, other than to purposefully cause an argument.

OP, do 4, and if you think you can handle a 5th then don't hold back, it can only aid your application to unis by separating you from everyone else who does 4, albeit not in the actual offer.
Original post by PythianLegume
This sounds horribly bitter. They were just trying to help, and gave advice specific to their own admissions. They also stated that their system is similar to other top universities, which presumably someone with lots of A*s would be aiming for. I seriously doubt you would have written that if, say, Manchester had written it.

Now why is that you say that? Is it because you look down on Manchester and hence gave that example. I would have criticized ANYONE, who didn't answer OP's question.
For too long are people doing too many A levels that are not needed or wanted.

Original post by BenAssirati
Wow you are an angry one!

The Oxford poster clearly stated 'but we're not too different from other top Unis when it comes to CompSci', thus showing they aren't being 'arrogant' or 'elitist' like you say.

Also, I double checked his post and nowhere does it say 'Oxford > Cambridge', which makes me wonder why you posted your opinion with that excuse, other than to purposefully cause an argument.

OP, do 4, and if you think you can handle a 5th then don't hold back, it can only aid your application to unis by separating you from everyone else who does 4, albeit not in the actual offer.

If you read my quote it said "not saying you guys are eletist"

You didn't even read my post correctly, i'm not causing an argument, I was stating why it wasn't said in a concise manner.

PS: I'm not saying oxford didn't give good advice, i'm just saying people are too hyped about doing so many a levels, when a simple short answer, like No all unis take the top 3 would be better suited.
FYI I also go to a school where we have many ex Cambridge and oxford admin tutors, who say what I am.
Original post by callumryan

Any advice?
Thanks

I would stick with four, just because our exams are linear now so there's really no room to forget things like we might've been able to do before with modular exams. If you want to do computer science at uni, I would look at entry requirements for different unis and see what they want - I would've thought that computing was necessary for computer science (I wouldn't know though because I haven't researched that course myself) unless I'm wrong. It really all depends whether you're good at remembering things and your ability to cope with pressure, I guess.
Original post by blueray
x

I'm sorry you found my post too lengthy.

No, I don't assume that the OP is applying to us. I did however assume that they would be applying to some leading universities for CompSci. Most students brave enough to consider doing 5 A Levels will be considering top universities. But certainly not all.

I'd rather avoid a post simply telling someone what to do. (Or speak for all universities for that matter.) It seemed to me more helpful to provide some background information on our requirements & subject suggestions, as an example of how a specific university looks at things. Therefore hopefully allowing the OP (or anyone else reading this and in a similar position) to make a more informed decision about what is the best course of action for them, wherever they decide to go. I'm sure the OP can simply disregard my post if it's not useful to them.

Quick Reply

Latest