The Student Room Group

Is English Combined as respected as English Language?

Im struggling picking my a level options- I got As at GCSE in both English's, but I think I may prefer English Combined.
Is it well respected and would it be accept at universities such as Manchester and Liverpool?
Also what is English Language like in comparison to English Combined?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
English Lit and Lang is much better than just English Language.
English LIterature is considered a 'hard' subject whereas English Language is 'soft' (acc. to uni lists)
The combined will be better than lang alone
Reply 3
Original post by Taliahart
English Lit and Lang is much better than just English Language.
English LIterature is considered a 'hard' subject whereas English Language is 'soft' (acc. to uni lists)
The combined will be better than lang alone

Universities actually prefer students who take English language or literature compared to those who take combined. This is because A Levels are supposed to provide depth into subjects, preparing students for university. Combined language and literature may provide breadth, but fails to provide depth.
Original post by Superboy
Universities actually prefer students who take English language or literature compared to those who take combined. This is because A Levels are supposed to provide depth into subjects, preparing students for university. Combined language and literature may provide breadth, but fails to provide depth.

This!

I did English Lit and English Language as separate a-levels and they really complement each other. Plus, the individual courses both seem a lot more interesting than the combined lang/lit course, IMO. If you're especially interested in English and planning on doing it at uni, I'd definitely recommend doing both, separately.
Original post by when she was 22
This!

I did English Lit and English Language as separate a-levels and they really complement each other. Plus, the individual courses both seem a lot more interesting than the combined lang/lit course, IMO. If you're especially interested in English and planning on doing it at uni, I'd definitely recommend doing both, separately.

This. :P

I agree too! I'm doing A2-level in both English A-levels separately and I think it would be a good idea to take both of them up. Also, if you don't like or much prefer lang to lit or vice versa, then you could always drop one (assuming you picked 4 subjects).

Nowadays, uni's love students who studied both English lang and lit as separate a-levels because you hardly get students who do this. It's a lot of work studying both English A-levels, but if you say you like it as much as you do, that wouldn't stop you!
Original post by Cool_JordH
This. :P

I agree too! I'm doing A2-level in both English A-levels separately and I think it would be a good idea to take both of them up. Also, if you don't like or much prefer lang to lit or vice versa, then you could always drop one (assuming you picked 4 subjects).

Nowadays, uni's love students who studied both English lang and lit as separate a-levels because you hardly get students who do this. It's a lot of work studying both English A-levels, but if you say you like it as much as you do, that wouldn't stop you!

So true! Best decision I made to do both of them, I doubt I'd have enjoyed doing combined at all :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Superboy

I am currently applying for English degrees and they only accept people with Eng lit or combined, not language alone.
Reply 8
Original post by Taliahart
I am currently applying for English degrees and they only accept people with Eng lit or combined, not language alone.

That is the case because you are applying to an English degree, i.e. not specifically a particular branch. They would thus expect you to have to some knowledge of literature and language.

If, on the other hand, you were applying to a more specific subject like English language, English literature or law, universities would expect to see either language or literature. English literature is still considered a 'better' subject than language.
I'm doing A Level English Combined and I'm really enjoying it. Universities won't discriminate against you if you take it. In fact, most universities would rather you have done English Literature or Combined rather than Language. But this is really only if you intend to study English at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending