The Student Room Group

Best A Level subjects for medicine?

Hi, I'm hoping to get into med school and I already have three A level options: bio, chem and maths. Now I'm considering psychology as the 4th A level. Should I pick history instead of psychology? Which will give me a better chance? Please give me some advice. Thank you.
Reply 1
Hi, jyyl. I think it's best to choose the subject you like. Medical schools usually give conditional offers that require 3 A's. Like myself, I did bio, chem, physics, and psychology last year. When I accepted my conditional offer, the condition is AAA for bio, chem and physics. I believe the medical school will choose your three best subjects to make a conditional offer, so it is quite unlikely that the choice of the fourth subject will affect your chance of getting admitted. After all, grades only represent the academic aspect. In fact, your work experience, personality will be taken into greater account.
Whatever you want. After biology and chemistry, it doesn't really matter what your 3rd or 4th A-level is. Pick whatever you enjoy studying!
Biology and Chemistry together give the widest choice of medical schools, after that the 3rd A Level and 4th AS don't matter (unless you really want to apply to Cambridge in which case you need 3 sciencey subjects to A2)

I took Biology, Chemistry and History to A2 (and Maths at AS but only got a C and dropped it sharpish)

Do you prefer History or Psychology? Pick the one you think you will enjoy the most :smile: You won't affect your chances of getting into medical school by doing Psychology instead of History (except if you want Cambridge or Oxford, I think they would prefer History). But most medical schools really don't care what you do for your 4th subject (or 3rd A Level)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SilverArch
Biology and Chemistry together give the widest choice of medical schools, after that the 3rd A Level and 4th AS don't matter (unless you really want to apply to Cambridge in which case you need 3 sciencey subjects to A2)

I took Biology, Chemistry and History to A2 (and Maths at AS but only got a C and dropped it sharpish)

Do you prefer History or Psychology? Pick the one you think you will enjoy the most :smile: You won't affect your chances of getting into medical school by doing Psychology instead of History (except if you want Cambridge or Oxford, I think they would prefer History). But most medical schools really don't care what you do for your 4th subject (or 3rd A Level)

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll give it some thought. Is maths considered as a science subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jyyl
Thanks everyone for the help, I'll give it some thought. Is maths considered as a science subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its considered a science, but its not a lab based science in case you ever come across that phrase.
Reply 6
Original post by jyyl
Hi, I'm hoping to get into med school and I already have three A level options: bio, chem and maths. Now I'm considering psychology as the 4th A level. Should I pick history instead of psychology? Which will give me a better chance? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

would you consider taking physics or further maths?
Original post by jyyl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Science subjects = Chemistry, Biology (or Human Biology), Physics, Maths, Further Maths

Lab based subjects/sciences = Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry and Physics

For Cambridge admissions, Maths and Further maths are sciences
Original post by jyyl

It will make no difference, really.
Both are really respected subjects so just go on whichever you think you'll enjoy more.

Good luck with med school !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go for psychology. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending