The Student Room Group

Which is the hardest A level?

Scroll to see replies

Biology is the hardest. At least for me
Reply 21
Speaking purely subjectively ...

I thought AS German was the most difficult subject I did. I got an A* in GCSE and thought it would be a breeze, so I didn't apply myself 100% and so I ended up with a C. A-Levels is all about upping your effort. GCSE grades mean f**k all if you're not gonna work hard.

I thought A-level chemistry was also very difficult but I ended up with an A anyway so it's all good.

Subjects I studied:

A-level: Maths (A*), Physics (A), Chemistry (A)

AS level: further maths (A), German (C)
I got the same grades as you at GCSE and I managed to get the same grades in 3 of my AS Levels which were humanities subjects. The Humanties, English, Arts subjects are not so tough if you keep on top of the work, in my opinion. However the Sciences are a huge jump and a lot harder. I did biology at AS and dropped it at A2 because I got a U! I did revise for it and I got an A at GCSE but I couldn't hack the A Level. I think the Sciences are much tougher so I advise you to do as much revision as possible and attend support sessions so you get all the resources you need to pass! Apart from that, you will do great, as you did in your GCSE's. best of luck!
Reply 23
Original post by MrSupernova
Only about 50% of the people who take it...

I don't know where you came from but only the people who went to Oxbridge from my sixth form got an A in it.
Original post by Alexandra97
I have recently left school and will be starting college in a few days time. I have heard that A levels are really hard and that there is a massive jump from GCSE. I achieved mostly A*s and a couple of A's at GCSE, but I've been told that many people who got these sorts of grades can end up with D's at A level! I was just wondering which A levels are considered the hardest and which are easier? I am taking History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry.. Also do you have any tips on revision and how to do well at A level, thanks.

They're exactly the same A levels I did so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by CJKay
I don't know where you came from but only the people who went to Oxbridge from my sixth form got an A in it.

MrSupernova is right. A lot of students get As in A-level maths and even more get As in further. This is because students who take further maths know they're good at maths.

I got an A in AS and I'm not going to Oxbridge :rolleyes:
Reply 26
It very depends... Do you mean by statistics or from a bog standard average Joe?

From Joe point of view, i would personally imagine something creative such as Art. Its a very acquired skill, which you cant just learn from a textbook the night before. Also the amount of work you have to do is insane, If you stuck me in a level Art, the only masterpieces would be something i attempted to trace.

From stats, i think its a science such as Biology or Chemistry
Reply 27
Original post by Lucy96
They're exactly the same A levels I did so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thanks :smile: Is history at a level interesting? It was my favourite subject at GCSE and the one I was best at, but I've been told that at a level loads of people find it really boring :/ Also does chemistry get any more interesting than it was at GCSE?? I did find GCSE a bit boring tbh but I'm taking it because it goes well with biology.
Reply 28
Original post by CJKay

He's wrong, but not in the way you'd expect. Around 57.4% of people(based on 2012 results, i can't find 2013) get A*-A in further maths as it does attract brilliant mathematicians. This doesnt mean its an easy a-level, i'd say at least in the top 3 hardest (only really competing 'additional further maths' and chemistry.)

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/clearing/9482626/A-Level-results-2012-2012-vs-2011-by-subject.html
Original post by Alexandra97
okay thanks :smile: Is history at a level interesting? It was my favourite subject at GCSE and the one I was best at, but I've been told that at a level loads of people find it really boring :/ Also does chemistry get any more interesting than it was at GCSE?? I did find GCSE a bit boring tbh but I'm taking it because it goes well with biology.

I found history this year amazing! I suppose it depends on your topics, but I did Russia in Revolution, Stalin's Russia and the Crimean, Boer and First World War. The Russian topics were so fascinating, I enjoyed them so much :biggrin: I'd say history at A level is better than GCSE because you go into much more depth :smile: It's my favourite subject alongside biology so that hopefully means it's interesting :tongue:

Chemistry does get a lot more interesting, in some areas. There are a few topics that were so dull, but I guess everyone has different opinions :tongue: I regret taking it to be honest (I only chose it because I originally wanted to do vet med) :colondollar: I found it a big step up from GCSE, it was my best science then, but this year I did awfully and have dropped it. (Mostly due to the fact I had little motivation for it and didn't try!) Don't let that put you off though, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it as a lot of people do, it was just the wrong subject for me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Lucy96
I found history this year amazing! I suppose it depends on your topics, but I did Russia in Revolution, Stalin's Russia and the Crimean, Boer and First World War. The Russian topics were so fascinating, I enjoyed them so much :biggrin: I'd say history at A level is better than GCSE because you go into much more depth :smile: It's my favourite subject alongside biology so that hopefully means it's interesting :tongue:

Chemistry does get a lot more interesting, in some areas. There are a few topics that were so dull, but I guess everyone has different opinions :tongue: I regret taking it to be honest (I only chose it because I originally wanted to do vet med) :colondollar: I found it a big step up from GCSE, it was my best science then, but this year I did awfully and have dropped it. (Mostly due to the fact I had little motivation for it and didn't try!) Don't let that put you off though, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it as a lot of people do, it was just the wrong subject for me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw okay thankyou :smile: You've made me feel a bit better about history now, we're doing Russia too and I thought it sounded really good! As long as chemistry is slightly more interesting than GCSE I'm sure I'll be fine with it, although I can see myself dropping it if I choose a career path where it isn't necessary.
I do two arts and two sciences as well :smile:
I took chemistry, maths, English and french at AS and im going to continue them all to A2. I got As for all of them, but I personally found Chemistry and Maths much easier in terms of the exams as if you learn the content and exam technique you are pretty much sorted. I thought English was the hardest because the marking can be quite subjective, and although I love French and I want to do it at uni I think it can be harder than my other subjects in some ways...
So I think it just depends on how much u are interested in each subject and how much time u put into revising it.
Hope this helps somehow? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths
Reply 33
I would say physics but that may have something to do with teaching quality at my sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
From my time of A-levels, Chemistry wasn't as bad as what people make it out to be, ended up with an A overall in it. Maybe it's got to do with the individual's strengths, not just relying on pure intelligence (which I don't have).

I actually found Biology the hardest because it required you to not only understand the content well, but to be able to answer various application questions on it (HSW).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by James A
From my time of A-levels, Chemistry wasn't as bad as what people make it out to be, ended up with an A overall in it. Maybe it's got to do with the individual's strengths, not just relying on pure intelligence (which I don't have).

I actually found Biology the hardest because it required you to not only understand the content well, but to be able to answer various application questions on it (HSW).

What spec were you on?
Original post by lolface32
What spec were you on?

Chemistry - Edexcel

Biology - AQA
Reply 37
It is entirely subjective. My hardest was maths which, for me, felt like a continual struggle for two years. Every time I thought I was improving I would be introduced to a new topic I didn't understand. However, I know there are a lot of people who really understand maths and have no trouble getting great results.

Apart from maths, my other three subjects were essay-based and I didn't struggle nearly as much with them. So from my point of view, maths or a science-based subject would be the hardest, but on the other hand, someone who really excels in the sciences might have a lot of difficulty with an essay-based subject. It depends on your individual strengths.
Original post by James A

I'm always surprised when so many people say Chemistry is the hardest. I found it easier than my other ones.
Out of the A-levels I take personally, I thought A-level Chemistry was the hardest.
Biology was my easiest..it's just a lot of memory work really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest