The Student Room Group

Which subject should I pick for A Levels?

Stuck between chemistry and psychology and I need to pick before Friday otherwise i may end up doing a course I don’t want. ( currently doing chem but unsure)

Feel as though chemistry will be more useful for possible apprenticeships and jobs in future. It would also pair well with my other options Geography and Biology but then again so would psychology. Only worry about chemistry is that since im doing OCR it’s going to become a lot of content and be very difficult.
But if I pick psychology even though I believe I will be more interested I worry that it will limit my future options especially as im opting for an apprenticeship after college rather than uni which all seem to require chem.

Please help me decide it’s stressful!
Reply 1
Original post by Sm200627
Stuck between chemistry and psychology and I need to pick before Friday otherwise i may end up doing a course I don’t want. ( currently doing chem but unsure)

Feel as though chemistry will be more useful for possible apprenticeships and jobs in future. It would also pair well with my other options Geography and Biology but then again so would psychology. Only worry about chemistry is that since im doing OCR it’s going to become a lot of content and be very difficult.
But if I pick psychology even though I believe I will be more interested I worry that it will limit my future options especially as im opting for an apprenticeship after college rather than uni which all seem to require chem.

Please help me decide it’s stressful!

DONT do Psychology. I have a major issue now on choosing unis that many dont recognise Psychology as a decent subject ie Cambridge unless doing a Psychology course. Its all super super boring. Yesterday we were told to count how many symolbs are on a maths page - seriously its infant work, I struggle to stay awake.

What do you want to do when you leave education would be the clue to what you should pick and you havent given any indication of that?
Are you academic talented or prefer arts side?

Chemistry is SUPER HARD, Probably the hardest A Level there is. It goes great with Biology and opens up many doors if your not sure what to do now. You will be spending a lot of time revising Chemistry for sure and very few sail through it.
Reply 2
Original post by Googley2
DONT do Psychology. I have a major issue now on choosing unis that many dont recognise Psychology as a decent subject ie Cambridge unless doing a Psychology course. Its all super super boring. Yesterday we were told to count how many symolbs are on a maths page - seriously its infant work, I struggle to stay awake.

What do you want to do when you leave education would be the clue to what you should pick and you havent given any indication of that?
Are you academic talented or prefer arts side?

Chemistry is SUPER HARD, Probably the hardest A Level there is. It goes great with Biology and opens up many doors if your not sure what to do now. You will be spending a lot of time revising Chemistry for sure and very few sail through it.

Yeah I thought chemistry would be more useful, but that was what worried me especially as I know how everyone says it’s one of the hardest subjects. It didn’t make sense at GCSE at times however I suppose I could always get a tutor or something to help out.
I would do chemistry as in the future it opens more doors and you can still do a psychology degree. I would just try hard to stay on top of chemistry. i know its really hard because I am doing it now. if i dont get it I go home and just learn it until I do.
Reply 4
What ideas do you have for a career?
Which grades were your best at GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by Googley2
What ideas do you have for a career?
Which grades were your best at GCSE?

Was thinking a science career but was wondering if biology and geography would be enough for that pathway
Reply 6
Original post by Sm200627
Was thinking a science career but was wondering if biology and geography would be enough for that pathway

Probably not as most would expect you have to have taken 2 science A Levels again it depends on which sujbect.
You really need to pick a specific career you want for any information to be relevant otherwise its just time wasting.

The other issue is you will probably get your results in July next year so you will need to be very quick in getting the transcripts uploaded on UCAS and you need to have fulfilled all the other criteria on the University website you are interested in.

This link might help you but you need to be using the internet a lot more to help yourself.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-for-the-degree-you-want-to-study

Quick Reply

Latest