The Student Room Group

Part time A Levels or Access to HE course

Hi, I've been going round and round on Google trying to find information on ways that I could get into university. I thought the best way would be to find a part time A Level course (I'm 42 and working full time) but I see that there are Access to HE courses that I could do. I'm just totally confused about which would be best; if I could reduce my hours at work I would be able to do a full time course but I can't unfortunately. The highest level of learning I've done so far is 5 O levels back in 1987, and a couple of BTEC Level 2 courses in IT/Software Programming. Is there anybody else in the same kind of siuation? Sorry for sounding a bit dim, but I'm just very confused.
Reply 1
I'm no expert, but I think it depends largely on what Uni you'd like to apply for, and for what course. The best thing to do would probably be to identify a course and a few potential Unis, and contact the admissions departments and ask them what they would prefer. Some even have the option to take a foundation year, which is an extra year at the beginning of your course to prepare you for undergrad study - you're probably qualified enough to get onto a foundation course already!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I was hoping to do a Humanities course as ultimately I want to try for a BA in History. I'll have a look again at all the local universities/colleges and see what access courses they run, then I'll try emailing to find out my options.
Reply 3
Depends on if you're in any kind of hurry, I'm guessing part time A levels will take you a couple of years to complete whereas an access course is done within a year and the vast majority of work can be done at home as it's very heavy on coursework. Access to humanities is also one of the more common access courses from what I've seen so there shouldn't be too much of an issue finding one near you.
Reply 4
Thanks for the help guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending