The Student Room Group

NST part II subject advice

hey :smile: im a medic about to do part II physiology and psychology and I need some advice

1. how detailed should i go when reading papers?
2. how many papers should i read? just summary ones or expand a bit?
3. what are the projects like? im a bit nervous about the stats side

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
I lurk around on TSR but did Part II Physiology and Psychology a few years ago... as there's not many of us around I feel compelled to come out of the woodwork :smile:

Regarding reading papers - it's good to read as much as you can, but realistically you won't have time to do absolutely everything in depth. I'd focus on the areas that interest you most, but try to at least read abstracts for most areas. Definitely worth reading recent reviews thoroughly, they can give you a lot of info and sometimes some context which can help with understanding disagreements in the field/how opinions have changed over time. Try to find a couple of recent relevant references as well if you can, they look good in your essays (you'll be expected to cite references in the exam, or at least you were when I did it).

I enjoyed my project a lot - exactly what they're like will obviously depend on the lab you're in though, whether you're in PDN or Psychology (2 term vs. 1 term) etc. Everyone I knew seemed to enjoy them too though. There is good statistics teaching that the Psychology department put on, and I found that it was possible to get specific advice on your project statistics if you asked (they're not going to do them for you, but they will give you help!) Your lab should also help you if there's any specific analyses that they do that aren't generally taught.
Reply 2
Original post by annakid
I lurk around on TSR but did Part II Physiology and Psychology a few years ago... as there's not many of us around I feel compelled to come out of the woodwork :smile:

Regarding reading papers - it's good to read as much as you can, but realistically you won't have time to do absolutely everything in depth. I'd focus on the areas that interest you most, but try to at least read abstracts for most areas. Definitely worth reading recent reviews thoroughly, they can give you a lot of info and sometimes some context which can help with understanding disagreements in the field/how opinions have changed over time. Try to find a couple of recent relevant references as well if you can, they look good in your essays (you'll be expected to cite references in the exam, or at least you were when I did it).

I enjoyed my project a lot - exactly what they're like will obviously depend on the lab you're in though, whether you're in PDN or Psychology (2 term vs. 1 term) etc. Everyone I knew seemed to enjoy them too though. There is good statistics teaching that the Psychology department put on, and I found that it was possible to get specific advice on your project statistics if you asked (they're not going to do them for you, but they will give you help!) Your lab should also help you if there's any specific analyses that they do that aren't generally taught.

Wow thanks so much, I actually didn't expect to get a response here (like you said there are so few of us). Thanks so much :biggrin:

Out of interest did you do natsci or medicine when you went in to do it? Either way is it a lot harder than other years? Or is the work manageable?

I just came out of 2nd year med and that was kinda hellish XD

Edit: I'm with dept of psychol so ill be doing the 1 term project. Is that in lent or can you choose which term you do it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Prosody
Wow thanks so much, I actually didn't expect to get a response here (like you said there are so few of us). Thanks so much :biggrin:

Out of interest did you do natsci or medicine when you went in to do it? Either way is it a lot harder than other years? Or is the work manageable?

I just came out of 2nd year med and that was kinda hellish XD

Edit: I'm with dept of psychol so ill be doing the 1 term project. Is that in lent or can you choose which term you do it?

I did natsci, though most of the other people in my year were medics! I don't think it was harder, just different - fewer contact hours so more self motivation required. In the course book gumph they tell you that Physiology and Psychology is regarded as a "demanding option" but I think the only thing you need to be careful with is Psychology module choice. You can technically only do 2 (I did) but it doesn't give you very much choice on the exams (you'd have to answer 3 out of 4 essays possible to you on at least one of the papers) - but if you try to do loads of them you have a massive workload! You should get a 'coordinating supervisor' from the department who you'll meet up with at the beginning of term who can probably give better advice than me on module selection and so on :smile:

Yeah, the Psychology projects are in Lent I think, though you'll pick them early in Michaelmas so you can do some reading/prep before you start!
Reply 4
Original post by annakid
I did natsci, though most of the other people in my year were medics! I don't think it was harder, just different - fewer contact hours so more self motivation required. In the course book gumph they tell you that Physiology and Psychology is regarded as a "demanding option" but I think the only thing you need to be careful with is Psychology module choice. You can technically only do 2 (I did) but it doesn't give you very much choice on the exams (you'd have to answer 3 out of 4 essays possible to you on at least one of the papers) - but if you try to do loads of them you have a massive workload! You should get a 'coordinating supervisor' from the department who you'll meet up with at the beginning of term who can probably give better advice than me on module selection and so on :smile:

Yeah, the Psychology projects are in Lent I think, though you'll pick them early in Michaelmas so you can do some reading/prep before you start!

Thank goodness; one of the most daunting things is picking from all the psych modules. There seems to be SO many to choose from so I'm glad we will get some guidance. The papers we sit are separate from the neuro/psych papers right? The past papers seem to be a bit different giving us a bit more choice of questions from which to answer rather than being forced to answer say '2 from section A, 2 from section B' as an example?

So I'll go to these stats classes in michaelmas and get to grip with the stats early before I embark on my project. The project is one of the most exciting bits it seems, but I'll need to balance my time between project and lecture learning :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Prosody
Thank goodness; one of the most daunting things is picking from all the psych modules. There seems to be SO many to choose from so I'm glad we will get some guidance. The papers we sit are separate from the neuro/psych papers right? The past papers seem to be a bit different giving us a bit more choice of questions from which to answer rather than being forced to answer say '2 from section A, 2 from section B' as an example?

So I'll go to these stats classes in michaelmas and get to grip with the stats early before I embark on my project. The project is one of the most exciting bits it seems, but I'll need to balance my time between project and lecture learning :smile:

Yeah, there are a lot! And many of them interesting :smile: Quite a few people went to more modules in the first week or so, to figure out which ones they were interested in focusing on. You can obviously also go to lectures just for interest/background information without ever thinking of doing an exam question on them!

Unless things have changed since I did it, you sit 4 papers - for the PDN modules, these are separate from the PDN/neuro people (there's basically one for module N3, and one for module N6). The psychology papers are 2 out of the 3 that the psychologists sit, but as you say, you don't have the question restrictions that the psychologists have - so if you want to only answer questions from B modules, for example, that's fine.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for the help!!! If I get more questions ill Pm you if that's ok :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending