The Student Room Group

Law personal statement advice needed

I'm not sure whether I've posted in the correct section so I apologise for that, but I am curious as to how much work experience/volunteering I need to include in my statement. I've focused mainly on why I want to study Law and why my subjects have developed skills etc. and I've also included coaching primary school kids, part-time job, extra-curricular sports and school council. My schools running more schemes to help out in local primary schools but I am wondering whether I have already put too much emphasis on volunteering, so would doing anything extra be pointless?

Any advice is appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JakeB95
I'm not sure whether I've posted in the correct section so I apologise for that, but I am curious as to how much work experience/volunteering I need to include in my statement. I've focused mainly on why I want to study Law and why my subjects have developed skills etc. and I've also included coaching primary school kids, part-time job, extra-curricular sports and school council. My schools running more schemes to help out in local primary schools but I am wondering whether I have already put too much emphasis on volunteering, so would doing anything extra be pointless?
If it matters I'm applying to Exeter, Southampton, Surrey, Cardiff and Liverpool, so not the elite universities.

Any advice is appreciated.

Work experience and volunteering is good, but mention of reading of before university law books are just as good I'd think - It focuses more on the academic side, which is what universities are concerned about. Some of the books are learning the law by Glanville, the law machine, understanding law. There's a few which could be read in like a day. Your structure seems good enough, I did mine something like this: why I want to study law (2 sentences), books I've read, work experience & visiting court, extra-curricular, conclusion ( 2sentences). I got 5/5 offers and I applied Cardiff, Liverpool, Leicester, Sheffield and Newcastle. You should be fine.
Reply 2
I applied to law unis with zero work experience in law.

Frankly, what universities care about is that you've done wider reading around your subject and can discuss topical legal issues with some capability. This is because law degrees at uni are academic degrees, and not vocational ones.

Have a look at the Law Personal Statement Subject Guide, I think it sums it up quite well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending