The Student Room Group

English A2 Coursework, Feminism in Alice In Wonderland

Hi,

So Im in my A2 year and for English Lit B (AQA) Unit 4, im doing my critical coursework where we have to analyze one text, using a theme from a choice of four.

I chose to study Alice In Wonderland as a feminist text. One problem though, I am confused on the actual definition of feminisim in literature or in a novel. If I say it IS a feminist text, then does that mean I talk about how Carroll has portrayed Alice as a girl who is breaking the gender role of society etc etc and is liberating for women OR is it how Carroll is portraying the females in AIW as very negative and how overall, they all fall within the stereotypes of the female. Whichever one, which do you think I should argue Carroll is portraying the women as? Positive or negative? Or should I flip it and argue that AIW ISNT feminist text? Tbh, I'm just confused as to what the novel as a, or not as a feminist text actually means :/ sorry, quite confused. I need a good strong argument too get the best marks haha.

Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
To be honest, all of those interpretations would work. Just go for the one you feel most strongly about. :smile:

A feminist reading of a novel basically refers to examining how the author portrays the role and place of women. Things like stereotypes, gender roles, liberation etc all fit in. :yy:
Reply 2
Brilliant, thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 3
No problem! :smile:
Reply 4
Sorry for being a pester, just want to double check people think this is okay, as I dont want to write it all out and then my teacher tell me its not okay :P ive decided to analyze how alice in wonderland is sort of a 'secret' feminist novel, and go on to discuss how on the surface, it seems very antagonizing of females in a role of power etc. but then explain how Carroll's work is actually feminist and show his strong female heroine and then cement this in my conclusion. Sound okay? Many thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fatimaja
Sorry for being a pester, just want to double check people think this is okay, as I dont want to write it all out and then my teacher tell me its not okay :P ive decided to analyze how alice in wonderland is sort of a 'secret' feminist novel, and go on to discuss how on the surface, it seems very antagonizing of females in a role of power etc. but then explain how Carroll's work is actually feminist and show his strong female heroine and then cement this in my conclusion. Sound okay? Many thanks :smile:
It sounds fantastic. :yep: Quite an unorthodox choice of novel too, I really like that idea!
Reply 6
Ahh thank you so much! Thats made me feel so much better about it! :smile: It's not letting me give you a + rating again so soon, but I send my virtual thumbs up!! (y)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending