The Student Room Group

Medlink 2013

Is it worth going to the Medlink conference? Has anyone been and can give me advice or information?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely worth doing, it gives you a real insight into medicine as a career and at the end you'll either realise that medicine is 100% for you, or that it definitely isn't. It's pricey but worth the money in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I went on it last year and I think it's worth going if you're undecided about studying medicine but if you're certain, it would be a waste of money in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun experience and pretty inspiring but for a few hundred quid... not sure and its not really something you can write on your personal statement as unis dont really rate it as not everybody can pay to go on something like that. If money isn't a problem tho and you really want to, go for it
Reply 3
heyyy i've booked med link 15th to 17th even tho everyone has said it's crap (but apparently it's fun!!) who else is going on those days??? :biggrin:
If you are undecided about medicine: GO.

If you are decided: It's pricey and the lectures are often spent persuading people to consider medicine. The lectures can be boring, and some of the lecturers are very uninspiring. HOWEVER, if you can afford it's fun, almost like a mini-uni experience being with tonnes of new people, and some of the lectures are truly gripping. The pathology research project is a good experience too. Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tanvi_
heyyy i've booked med link 15th to 17th even tho everyone has said it's crap (but apparently it's fun!!) who else is going on those days??? :biggrin:

I'm going on those same days :P
Reply 6
Original post by Kamehameha

wooo! cya there :biggrin:
It was the single biggest waste of money I've ever spent, it helps in seeing some different careers but that's information you can get in a book! You sit down and listen to a motivational speaker claim he can get you into uni with 3Cs and never actually tell you a thing, the stuff they sell is poorly made and useless! It's a money making exercise designed to rip of kids dreams of becoming doctors!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kamehameha

Me too!! :biggrin: it can't be all bad - especially for someone like me who is terrified of the whole application process! Are either of you two doing the extras?
Reply 9
Original post by islagrace97
Me too!! :biggrin: it can't be all bad - especially for someone like me who is terrified of the whole application process! Are either of you two doing the extras?

I'm going on those dates too, and I'm doing the pathology and Oxbridge add-ons. Are any of you doing those? I don't know anyone else who's going or who's been before but since I'm still slightly undecided about medicine, it should be worthwhile!
Reply 10
Original post by islagrace97

I'm doing the chemisty A* session and the next step :smile:
anyone going to medlink 17-19th december?
I am considering booking medlink for the 15th to the 17th but there are so many options i am confused what and how to book it?
Original post by smileybee:)
I'm going on those dates too, and I'm doing the pathology and Oxbridge add-ons. Are any of you doing those? I don't know anyone else who's going or who's been before but since I'm still slightly undecided about medicine, it should be worthwhile!

I'm doing the pathology, chemistry A*, edge session and next step day extras :smile: can't wait!
Is anyone going on the 17th-19th?
Reply 15
Original post by justinejones96

Me - just booked :biggrin:
Original post by justinejones96

im going then :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah, I'm going, so are two other people I know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I'm doing 17-19th. See you all there :smile:
It will not positively affect your chances of getting into medicine. I doubt it makes a difference when adding it into your personal statement as all it shows is that you had the money to go to an expensive course which bombards you with medical facts. The stethoscope they give you isn't useful. The information they give you can be obtained for FREE online. You get zero medical experience and you are literally sat in a hall of 800 students listening to lecturers, who try to make it fun, some succeed.

This really isn't necessary, and for those who can't afford going, you are not missing out on much, For those who can and want a bit of fun, then you might as well go, as you meet a lot of like-minded people who all are in the same boat.

You also get a taste on university life and how it feels to be living in halls which is good.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending