The Student Room Group

HELP! Apprentice -> UNI advice please

Hey all, I've posted here as despite my age I feel this is a more suitable section!

Any advice you can give would be very openly received! Sorry in advance for the read :/

Basically, I'm 20, I decided to get an apprenticeship straight from completing my A-Levels, I'm now a second year electrical engineering apprentice, I moved away from home at 18 for this - live alone.

My issue is that I don't feel as though I'm being pushed or learning as much as I want too. Especially when all of the theory work being done for qualifications I have done before at A-Level. I did Maths, Physics and Economics getting a BCB from a DEDE at AS (inc. Chemistry). I will admit that I didn't put the effort in - hands up. Despite that I now realise just how much I enjoyed being pushed, learning and the challenge or understanding it. So ultimately feel as though learning would now be my choice. Guess maturing does help sometimes! :wink:

I'm currently trying to decide what to do as whenever I look at the jobs that I want to do, system/circuit design based, there always seems to be a 'graduate degree' needed in order to apply.

So my question is. Do I leave my apprenticeship at the end of this academic year (June), go traveling for 3 months then go to university wherever that may be. OR do I stick with my apprenticeship? (It's a 42 month apprenticeship).

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
On top of that!

I'd also like to know if any units that I've done as a result of my apprenticeship would help with my applications for UCAS?
Also, would it be worth applying for universities with a higher grade asking?
Original post by georgetrain
On top of that!

I'd also like to know if any units that I've done as a result of my apprenticeship would help with my applications for UCAS?
Also, would it be worth applying for universities with a higher grade asking?

A 42 month apprenticeship is quite long. When does your study finish? I.e. NVQs/BTECs. I started an OU degree whilst still doing an apprenticeship. Then you could transfer the credit to a brick uni if you didn't like it (you'd have to ask the uni first).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by addylad
A 42 month apprenticeship is quite long. When does your study finish? I.e. NVQs/BTECs. I started an OU degree whilst still doing an apprenticeship. Then you could transfer the credit to a brick uni if you didn't like it (you'd have to ask the uni first).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started 09/12 and I finish in 03/16 in theory. However I'm currently doing my NVQs and then HNC I believe.
I had thought of doing an OU degree however there is then also the cost associated with that. Also, is an OU then recognised in the same way as a graduate degree? Sorry to be a pain but what's a brick uni?
How long did you OU degree take you too? and what was it in if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for all your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending