The Student Room Group

Applying for Music vs. History - Oxbridge and beyond (23 year old international)

So as some may notice I've been all over TSR in the past month or two about whether to apply for music at Oxford or Cambridge, and whether to apply for history at either as well. Being a 23 year old from the U.S. only further complicates my choices and application, but I'm 100% positive I want to apply and only left it so late as I was unaware of the possibility of my applying until August. Though the discrepancy between which university has plagued me, I've realised now that it's more about which course.

I am certain that if I were to go for history I would apply to Oxford because they administer the HAT, which gives me a much stronger chance in light of my academic past. I've been advised by Harris Manchester and Wadham (all other colleges have been a bit stuffy with me) that my background is sufficient and the HAT would give me a chance to shine for history. In terms of music, most of the feedback I have gotten would imply that Cambridge suits me more for music as it seems to be slightly more practical and composition inclusive.... that and more musicians I know have attended. Clare and King's are the two I favor in terms of colleges. Below I'll list my areas of interest/strength in each subject:

Music: Composition (I want to be a composer, but in a tonal sense. I really can't stand serialism and 20th century music for the most part), film music, early music (renaissance especially), cultural studies, arranging, romantic period music, world music, some experimental (with the exception of John Cage and the like), and peformance.... but not classical performance. My fear with music is that my background is mostly non classical, I grew up playing in bands as a guitarist and keyboardist, mostly rock/pop/indie bands. I do however love a lot of classical music and when I compose it is often in a classical vein as I like to use strings. My theory is far from perfect, but I know the essentials. While I do fear being not as classically trained as many applicants, I do feel my overall musicianship is strong and I know without a doubt my end goal is to be a successful musician composer.... in an ideal world composing more classically for films and concert hall while playing in contemporary bands on the side.

History: German history, the interwar period, second world war, first world war, Tudor England, British monarchy, The EU, European Fascism, The Soviet Union, American Revolution, English Civil War, and probably more I'm forgetting. With studying history it's less about any specific career goal, but more about that I love history and find it fascinating. I do find music fascinating equally, but have mixed experiences in terms of formal study.

In terms of my application I have impressive work experience for both history and music, more recently working for Historic Royal Palaces in London as a historical guide and a brief internship in the House of Commons. For music I've worked as a music teacher on and off, but my educational background is more controversial if I can say so. After graduating from American high school I took a semester off to play in bands, and then I briefly took classes at a local college in International Politics, Political Philosophy and German (earning decent grades with each) before applying to study music in the UK. I completed a one year foundation degree in Music and Sound Technology at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts where I got good grades, but found the course to popular music focused. I then applied to do a Music degree at Goldsmiths but dropped out of the course after only 6 months as I found it completely focused on atonal composition and serialism as well as classical performance which I'm not keen on. After dropping out I returned back to the U.S. where I've been working independently on music and working at a local bookstore, but I'm positive I want to return to education back in the UK which is more or less where my life is now....

But I'm sincerely struggling with which subject to pursue. History (and History/Politics) have been encouraging at Oxford, while Music at Cambridge have been mostly encouraging as well (I can't say the same for music at Oxford really, but I think my constant enquiries irked them). Some of you may say don't go for oxbridge, but I've been to both and I love the environments, so I'm intent to try even though the deadline is fast approaching. I've been working on personal statements for either, but, I'm very anxious about which to pursue as for some reasons I feel I'd be stronger for History (HAT, interviews perhaps) and others for music (foundation degree, career goals, talent aside from classical peformance and hardcore theory), so I just don't know. I am resolved that this will be my last post on the matter because the deadline is in a little over a week now. Insane perhaps, but it's no entirely my fault... though my indecision is my greatest weakness.

P.S. I do not intend to solely apply to Oxbridge, but it is the bane of my indecision at present.
Reply 1
Original post by Maxomatosis
I feel I'd be stronger for History (HAT, interviews perhaps) and others for music (foundation degree, career goals, talent aside from classical peformance and hardcore theory)

From your entire post, this is what jumped out at me hardest. I'm reading this as "I have a better chance of getting into History, but I'd enjoy Music more and Music meets my longer-term aspirations".

If I'm reading it right, then in your shoes I'd go for Music.
Have you checked the application deadline for Cambridge for both those subjects as you may be able to apply in for the march deadline?
I think if you were to apply for music they would ask you a lot of questions about why you dropped out, and whilst your reasoning seems logical to me, they may see it as a lack of commitment to the subject as a whole, and they will want to know that you know their course inside out so they know you know you aren't making another mistake. A move to history would be perhaps more substantiated??
saying that, it sounds like I am suggesting you make a decision based on which will be easier to get in. Don't do that.
Go with your passion! It may be that part of the tripos you can cover a little of the other subject......

good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Bright_blonde
Have you checked the application deadline for Cambridge for both those subjects as you may be able to apply in for the march deadline?
I think if you were to apply for music they would ask you a lot of questions about why you dropped out, and whilst your reasoning seems logical to me, they may see it as a lack of commitment to the subject as a whole, and they will want to know that you know their course inside out so they know you know you aren't making another mistake. A move to history would be perhaps more substantiated??
saying that, it sounds like I am suggesting you make a decision based on which will be easier to get in. Don't do that.
Go with your passion! It may be that part of the tripos you can cover a little of the other subject......

good luck

I have indeed, however if I apply for the March deadline I can only apply to one of the mature colleges which I'm not keen on in all honesty. Music is only first round, history is second. However I'm not really even contemplating History at Cambridge because they judge it more on grades than Oxford does. I applied to Cambridge previously for Modern Languages (German) but got rejected with the March deadline. In all fairness I was completely unqualified for it, I just thought it'd be interesting and I was spurred on by previous travels.

In terms of dropping out of Goldsmiths, I was intending to not even put Goldsmiths on UCAS because I didn't get any credits or grades from the university and technically didn't really ever attend. Wouldn't it be better to just not put it there then? I see what you mean about the music faculty disliking it, but I figure if i made it clear WHY I dropped out it would be fine... if even mentioning it at all.

Oh and I didn't mean to imply I'd have an EASIER time getting into History at Oxford. Getting in for either course would be quite a feat for me. I more so meant that I'm more confident academically in terms of history, where as with music the academic side (theory and such) is a weakness and my raw talent and passion are stronger. Of course I will always go with my passion, though I am passionate about both and have been encouraged that if I studied history I could pursue music outside of it.... but that being said I'm pretty confident I want to make a career as a musician and nothing else... which might make a history degree seem tedious (it would be more about having a good degree in something I love to keep me going until music works out), as many a music career depends more on luck. I suppose, in applying to music at Cambridge, that I won't even get an interview because Cambridge seem to have less of a welcoming attitude to Americans and more so people with a mixed academic past, which is why a part of me wants to apply to Oxford more despite their music course seeming iffy. As a matter of fact yes I did read that at Cambridge it's possible for students reading one subject to take a module in another, and the main college I'm looking at (Clare) has a great tutor for German history I'd love to learn under, so maybe that's a possibility. I just fear Cambridge more for some reason.... but thanks for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
From your entire post, this is what jumped out at me hardest. I'm reading this as "I have a better chance of getting into History, but I'd enjoy Music more and Music meets my longer-term aspirations".

If I'm reading it right, then in your shoes I'd go for Music.

Somewhat right. It's not that I think I have a better chance at History, in fact I probably have less of a chance as my background screams out music a little more.... it's just that I'm better at History academically where as music I'm not as good academically (in terms of theory and hardcore classical training). I don't think I'd enjoy studying music more really, it's just more what I want to do. Hands down my long term goal is to play professionally in a band, or as a solo artist or composer for films or media. The history is more just about pursuing a passion and enjoying it which might would allow to me to attend a great university and possibly have better jobs afterwards while I'm still pursuing the music and bands and such. I'd enjoy both, and in fact I think a part of me would enjoy studying history more because it's less difficult for me than music is academically, but yes my aspirations are in music so it's a tricky thing. That being said, all the members of Radiohead (my biggest influence in all ways) didn't study music at university and expressively seemed against it but never said why. Perhaps because studying it takes then fun out of it, which worries me at the same time as I'm confident I want to pursue it career wise. Hm. But my biggest fear in life is being a music teacher because I hate teaching... and I know degrees lead to that sometimes. Hm.

Ah.
You may be interested to know that the Arts admissions guy at Wolfson, taught the humanities side of music, so history of etc...... Sorry I can't be more specific, neither music or history are my strong point!

I would say, Music, you have substantial reasoning for choosing that course, you are naturally talented at it, you want it to be your career, you can use your first degree experience as a positive to say how focused you are now having made the mistake before perhaps.
in History, at the interview they will ask you what you intend to do, having a passion for something is great, but is it enough? That's a question, I don't know the answer.

have you done outside reading both subjects you can demonstrate that in your PS??

I personally disliked Oxford and my application has been sent off for Cambridge today, naturally I'm biased!

Keep us updated!
Reply 6
Why did you personally dislike Oxford/what course are you applying to?

Ergh unfortunately I've just been informed that Cambridge only does interviews in Cambridge for U.S. applicants (Oxford does skype/recorded interviews). I'm not sure I'll be able to afford going out to Cambridge for interview, I'd have to ask my folks and I doubt that'll go over well. Ergh... Oxford's looking more likely even though I agree with your points in some ways.

To be honest most books that I read are history, politics, social critique-related. The only music books I've read are biographies of musical figures I admire. I never read books about musical theory or practice, it doesn't particularly interest me. The most recent book I read was called "Empire of Illusion", a social critique on American culture and our values and etc. Found it super interesting.

I don't know what to do now... deadline is in a week. I mean yes I want to be a musician, but most musicians I know didn't study music at university.... so I feel like it's not a must. Though it is more clearly my passion and intention. I think it's harder for people like me who aspire to be in a band and (for lack of a better word) a rock/pop musician. I love classical music, yes, but I don't want to become a music teacher nor am I one to write books on classical music. I like to listen to it and to compose it, so, in some ways I know this might say the music courses at either university aren't for me.... but then, as my friends say, what's the point of a history degree really if you know you want to be a musician.

Thanks for your support though! I like how this is getting harder every day. Hah.
You don't need a music degree to be in a band, if you did we wouldn't end up with talentless, droids like one direction. If that is what you want to do, do History, then hopefully that and Oxbridge as a whole, will inform you that being a talentless droid is not acceptable and you will make a positive contribution to 'popular' music.

Do history. If you thought you should do music you wouldn't have argued with me for the last two post. It's history. Decision made!
Reply 8
Oh I guarantee that no matter what I pursue academically the kind of music I make is never in the vein of OneDirection! And I always write music that, even if not classical in nature is more influenced by that ethos than ****ty chart music.

Apologies, I didn't mean to argue! I was honestly leaning more towards Music at Cambridge, but when they told me I could only interview in person it seemed to become a huge obstacle. A part of me is still considering asking my mother about the possibility, but am scared to, especially since I feel like my music theory skills aren't good enough for the written tests (for bach chorales, counterpoint, etc). History makes more sense academically perhaps, I'm just worried it will be useless and I'll get off track from the music career I want. I'm totally contradicting you again, sorry.... but that's how I am sometimes. While you're probably right... I just don't feel 100 percent about it. Music feels better in my gut decision, but history seems better considering all factors. Blegh.

You never never answered why you didn't like Oxford/what course you're applying for?
Don't apologise for arguing, it's good for the soul, and it's your life.
Oxbridge don't expect you to go there with all the required knowledge in place you know, they want you to go there and have the right type of mind to be able to learn.

i didn't like Oxford because a) I'm 24 and I don't want to live with 18 year olds, they only have one mature college which only houses 10% of their mature students. I just didn't feel like they wanted mature students enough. B) I felt that Cambridge was a little more liberal and creative. I know how ridiculous that sounds, it's just the vibe that I got.
i am applying for Psychological and Behavioural Studies! I want to go into Neuroscience eventually.
Reply 10
Ah so we're roughly the same age! Which college are you applying to?

Yeah I can see that. Although from what I can tell Oxford is more friendly to Americans than Cambridge, while perhaps you're right about the mature part. I'm still struggling with which college at Oxford if I do apply, as Harris Manchester seems kind of iffy. I don't mind 18 year olds so much as long as they're decent... which I know is unlikely a lot of the time haha. But if I were to apply to Cambridge I think it'd be Clare because it seems so great for music in general. None of the mature colleges appealed to me even though it makes more sense and it's likely they'd allocate me there anyways (at either university perhaps).

I think I'll never feel 100 percent about either decision, so I'm just doing to have to go with one and deal with it and stop asking people because everyone has a different opinion and I know as much information as I'm going to get at this point probably. I've written personal statements for both! I'm not sure which is better, perhaps it will show which subject I should study through the statements, but I don't really want to burden anyone with having to read them. Eh.

Well, regardless I wish you luck with your application and keep me posted. If I do choose Cambridge after all perhaps I'll see you around, or even not if so as Oxford isn't too far. I think I'm going to give myself a deadline of Sunday or Monday at the latest as the UCAS deadline is Tuesday.

P.S. Cambridge did say they could still consider my application without my coming there to interview/audition, but that it would be much weaker since I wouldn't get to do the interview/audition... so pointless really.

Max
So! What's the update now the deadline is upon us!!!
Reply 12
Ah! I gave myself a deadline of tonight.... both personal statements are done.

After talking to one of my parents, they, in light of the fact I'd have to travel all the way to Cambridge just for an interview/audition for Music, suppport me going for History more. So it would seem that I should be choosing Oxford now, but something about it feels wrong. Clare College Cambridge just seems to be calling for me, even though auditioning for Music seems undoable now.... or maybe applying for History at Clare?.... even though I have a better chance at Oxford for History because they have an admissions test and Cambridge relies more on grades which are not my strong point.............

I thought I'd be satisfied but I'm not. I hate Clare for requiring I travel there.
So!!! What did you do??
Reply 14
I applied to Oxford! I'm totally second guessing myself though, and sometimes thinking I should request to switch my application to music (though I suspect that'd make me look bad and indecisive to them). I sort of didn't choose really, my folks said traveling to Cambridge wasn't an option and I can't afford it independently at the moment. And I think, even though still slim, I have a better chance of History at Oxford than at Cambridge because of the HAT. Although I applied to History/Politics because it seemed like a more interesting degree than plain History. I should be content but I feel sort of wrong about it, even though it might be ok. I know I can't really change it anyway.

I was also terribly unsure of which college, as Harris Manchester seemed eh and I was only set on Clare at Cambridge while unsure of Oxford. But since they can randomly reallocate you anyway, I put Magdalen because I've been there and know people who have gone there/liked it and it's good for History even though it's terribly oversubscribed. Been considering substituting it too, but feel like I should maybe just leave it all alone. Although I did semi-bother them previously when asking for advice on my application/qualifications. But maybe that won't matter for admissions.

How's your application?
Wow, I don't know I could cope with your worries :-)
my application is okay, I have to submit two pieces of work by 31st so I am just getting those done, it's tricky managing all the work for me and not just getting Ditinctions, but making them Cambridge level.....
im fortunate in that I interview well, so hopefully my ps, reference and predicted grades will be enough to get me the interview, which I will hopefully, ace!!

Fingers crossed! It's so bloody stressful I have to say!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending