Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1)Fibrous protein are structural proteins that have a secondary structure. But why collagen(fibrous protein ) has tertiary structure?

For fibrous protein:
    Different proteins may have similar shape, and the length of the same protein may vary

But what same protein?

2)prosthetic group means inorganic or non-protein?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right OK

A tertiary structure is basically two or more proteins bonded together. Collagen is three strands of protein/fibre which are wound into a helix shape, and they are bonded by hydrogen bonds.

Umm i need a bit more info about what you mean by the same protein bit!! soz

A prosthetic group is an additional group added to a protein that isn't directly part of the proetin, but is vital to the proteins function. For instance in haemoglobin, the prosthetic group is iron, which is inorganic

Hope that helped!!!

ReputationRep:
    The above post is correct except that the assembly of multiple proteins forms a quaternary (not tertiary) structure - collagen is comprised of three protein strands that each have a helical structure to form a larger helix which has greater structural stability.

ReputationRep:
    Aha yeah sorry!!im doing A2 now so i havent revised my AS stuff!!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.