The Student Room Group

Mathematical ability and mathematics degrees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Degree level is so much more different to A-level, I doubt it will matter. Maths will be the only thing she is studying, and she'll be taught to think for herself and she will eventually have to get used to it.

Just because somebody isn't perfect at something, it doesn't mean they can't pursue an interest in it. Do you advise that she studies something else and be completely miserable?
Reply 21
Original post by Arieisit
I don't know where you get off calling me a dick as you don't know me! I was never trying to bring her down. She wants to read maths at Cambridge and no where else. This is why I told her what I did.
I don't look down on other people for not getting as high as me, I'm not the jerk you think I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You haven't given a very thorough description of her, but if she stuggles with questions which are just a bit different from the normal ones then Cambridge is almost impossible.
Reply 22
Also, it's bull**** that she 'only wants to study at Cambridge'.

You're just saying that to make yourself sound like less of a t**t. Something as integral to your opinion as that would definitely have been included in the OP.
Reply 23
I don't know where you get off calling me a dick as you don't know me! I was never trying to bring her down. She wants to read maths at Cambridge and no where else. This is why I told her what I did.
I don't look down on other people for not getting as high as me, I'm not the jerk you think I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok fair enough sorry, but you really should mention in your OP that she wants to do it at cambridge as that makes a huge difference, as cambridge is a lot harder to get into than most unis. :tongue:

Original post by Jooooshy

You're just saying that to make yourself sound like less of a t**t. Something as integral to your opinion as that would definitely have been included in the OP.

This is a good point. Also as someone said, the deadline for cambridge applications was the 15th of October so why is she still considering it now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by davros
So she's now just started year 13?

I notice you've now added extra info to the effect that she wants to read Maths at Cambridge! Hasn't she already missed the deadline for applications???

She wants to take a year off.

Degree level is so much more different to A-level, I doubt it will matter. Maths will be the only thing she is studying, and she'll be taught to think for herself and she will eventually have to get used to it.

Just because somebody isn't perfect at something, it doesn't mean they can't pursue an interest in it. Do you advise that she studies something else and be completely miserable?

Well seeing that she was considering doing medicine if she doesn't get to do maths at Cambridge, I don't see the problem.

Original post by james22
You haven't given a very thorough description of her, but if she stuggles with questions which are just a bit different from the normal ones then Cambridge is almost impossible.

This was my line of thought when I told her it's not a good idea.

You cannot be serious right? How do YOU know that it is false that she just wants to read maths at Cambridge only?

Why would I try to save face in your eyes? Its not going to bother me if you think badly of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
She wants to take a year off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, I'm not going to get into a flame war, but you have been very selective about what information you've given about this friend of yours :smile:

Generally speaking, prospective Maths students aren't encouraged to take a year off unless they're going to be doing something very mathematical in that year - they can easily "go off the boil" even if they're very good.

Also you haven't said whether your friend is taking Further Maths, which is pretty much a pre-requisite for Cambridge!
OP, are you and your friend from Trinidad?
If so, is she covering both applied and pure mathematics?
Reply 27
Original post by keromedic
OP, are you and your friend from Trinidad?
If so, is she covering both applied and pure mathematics?

Yes to your first question and no to your second.

I think I posted in another thread or this one I'm not sure that since our pure mathematics cover only pure topics we do significantly more pure topics that uk a level maths syllabuses do. Hence further pure mathematics topics are covered in our unit 2 pure mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes to your first question and no to your second.

I think I posted in another thread or this one I'm not sure that since our pure mathematics cover only pure topics we do significantly more pure topics that uk a level maths syllabuses do. Hence further pure mathematics topics are covered in our unit 2 pure mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
I'm (kinda) from Trinidad and I'm just going to post a Trini paper that my friend sent a while ago.

Is that a paper from your first year?
Reply 29
Fair enough.
I'm (kinda) from Trinidad and I'm just going to post a Trini paper that my friend sent a while ago.

Is that a paper from your first year?

Yes, this is a first year exam. In fact I did this one and it was very easy (for me at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, this is a first year exam. In fact I did this one and it was very easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case, it's a bit more than AS maths. I have a feeling that your pure Alevel in total would be akin to the C1-4,FP1-3 to here. The paper certainly seems more broad than C1,2...
Reply 31
In that case, it's a bit more than AS maths. I have a feeling that your pure Alevel in total would be akin to the C1-4,FP1-3 to here. The paper certainly seems more broad than C1,2...

I'll upload a unit 2 exam on here in a while. You be the judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll upload a unit 2 exam on here in a while. You be the judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Though I wouldn't be the best person to judge. The point I was making is that there'll be people applying for maths who'll have done C1, C2, Fp1 in their AS year as well as pure. They then quickly self teach C3, C4 and then start STEP prep in Jan: than seems to be the norm.
I think your friend has a chance...as Felix says, let her start some STEP1 prep and see how that goes...although the year out will restrict her.
Reply 33
Thanks. Though I wouldn't be the best person to judge. The point I was making is that there'll be people applying for maths who'll have done C1, C2, Fp1 in their AS year as well as pure. They then quickly self teach C3, C4 and then start STEP prep in Jan: than seems to be the norm.
I think your friend has a chance...as Felix says, let her start some STEP1 prep and see how that goes...although the year out will restrict her.

I showed her step 1 papers and she didn't know where to start.

Here is a unit 2 exam.

1384460006326.jpg1384460042676.jpg1384460098050.jpg1384460119511.jpg1384460147065.jpg1384460167609.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest