Turn on thread page Beta

BTEC or A-Levels? watch

• View Poll Results: BTEC vs A-Level for IT?
    BTEC
    22.22%
    A-Level
    77.78%

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I'm unsure as to whether to study BTEC, or A-Levels. I could study either at two different colleges near me, but I'm unsure. My problem starts with the fact that my predicted Maths grade is a B. This means I cannot do A-Level Maths, and I understand a lot of universities require it for Computer Science. I would like to pursue a career in computing, so my choices if I were to choose A-Levels would be; Computing, Physics, Use of Maths/Statistics, and Psychology. If I chose BTEC, I would choose an IT Level 3 course.
    This is where I'm really stuck. I don't know what would be better for me if I wanted to do Computer Science at a university after college, and then pursue a computing career. I think BTEC would be better as it focuses specifically on computing, rather than an A-Level having me study 3 other subjects that I'm less interested in.
    I understand the appeal for A-Levels, but I think a BTEC would be better for me but I'm still not sure, so I'd appreciate an opinion from a few of you who have taken BTEC IT/A-Levels like I listed above.

Also, my other query is; what's BTEC IT like? I'm doing GCSE Computing at the moment, and it's fun and I really enjoy it, but is BTEC IT anything like it? Is it more focused around software/an end-users perspective or hardware? What's it like in relation to a Computing A-Level?

Thank you for reading this wall of text, and I'd really appreciate any help on this.

TL;DR BTEC vs A-Level for IT/Computing career.

Also, sorry if this was posted in the wrong section, I wasn't sure whether to post this in A-Level or BTEC so I thought this would be the better area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .T.)
    Hi all!
    I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I'm unsure as to whether to study BTEC, or A-Levels. I could study either at two different colleges near me, but I'm unsure.

TL;DR BTEC vs A-Level for IT/Computing career.

Also, sorry if this was posted in the wrong section, I wasn't sure whether to post this in A-Level or BTEC so I thought this would be the better area.
    You can't do Maths even though your predicted a B ?

Depends really. Both have strengths. Like if your a person who struggles with exams then a Btec is probably more suitable, yet a levels would perhaps 'open more doors'. Bear in mind, top places will ask for an A level alongside a Btec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    You can't do Maths even though your predicted a B ?

Depends really. Both have strengths. Like if your a person who struggles with exams then a Btec is probably more suitable, yet a levels would perhaps 'open more doors'. Bear in mind, top places will ask for an A level alongside a Btec.
    Yeah, to do Maths you need an A.
    Within the time of posting the first post and now, I think I've made the safe decision to choose A-Levels after looking at some Universities. Some unis accept just grades, rather than a specific subject which is what I was worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .T.)
    Yeah, to do Maths you need an A.
    Within the time of posting the first post and now, I think I've made the safe decision to choose A-Levels after looking at some Universities. Some unis accept just grades, rather than a specific subject which is what I was worried about.
    If you email some universities, im sure you can get a decent response. I mean if your doing A level Stats AND Physics, i personally think that would be sufficient.
    Try get GCSE maths up and it will be all good

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump my own thread, but I've had a re-think.
    I've looked at a few more Universities, and a lot of them (apart from the top ~15, which I wouldn't get into anyway) accept a BTEC diploma. I can also do A-Level Maths alongside a BTEC.
    I currently think a BTEC would be better, as I prefer practical work and coursework to exams, and I feel focusing completely on Computing rather than 1/4 with other A-Levels would be better for me.

My curiosity now is; do employers (generally) prefer a BTEC or A-Levels? I plan on taking a Computer Science degree at Uni if I get the grades, so would employers think about that over BTECs/A-Levels?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.