The Student Room Group

where to go for LLB with two A levels

Hey all,

I achieved a total of 160ucas tariff points and I have no idea where to go. I have received an offer for sept 2014 from bedfordshire but one year is too much to wait.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Most unis require 3 A-Levels/at least 250-300 UCAS points. Have you considered doing a third A-level? This will not only increase your chances of getting into a better uni, but also help you when you start applying for legal positions because 3 A-levels/300+ UCAS points is often considered a minimum
Reply 2
Original post by d.luffy
Hey all,

I achieved a total of 160ucas tariff points and I have no idea where to go. I have received an offer for sept 2014 from bedfordshire but one year is too much to wait.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

All unis will have Sept 2014 entry...
Original post by Mike_123
All unis will have Sept 2014 entry...

Some unis offer January or May start for the LLB. I think the more pertinent question is whether the OP is suited to law, given his difficulty at A-level.

Original post by d.luffy
Hey all,

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

I would advise you to take a few years out and come back to HE when you're 20 or 21. Clearly you were not motivated at A-level to do well, and going in to university and getting a 2:2 or a 3rd in your LLB would be worse than nothing.

Go out and get some life experience, have some fun, travel, get into the workforce, and then come back in a few years when you know this is definitely what you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by MostUncivilised
Some unis offer January or May start for the LLB. I think the more pertinent question is whether the OP is suited to law, given his difficulty at A-level.

I would advise you to take a few years out and come back to HE when you're 20 or 21. Clearly you were not motivated at A-level to do well, and going in to university and getting a 2:2 or a 3rd in your LLB would be worse than nothing.

Go out and get some life experience, have some fun, travel, get into the workforce, and then come back in a few years when you know this is definitely what you want to do.

I appreciate all your responses, but law is my dream and I am definately sure I can achieve excellent grades in uni.

I am turning 20 on first jan ... so I can't do what you proposed.
Reply 5
Is there any advice on which uni I can apply to for the second semester? it doesn't have to be in the uk ... I am reallylost.
Reply 6
Original post by d.luffy
Is there any advice on which uni I can apply to for the second semester? it doesn't have to be in the uk ... I am reallylost.

Most law unis don't really allow you to join in mid-year because, unlike the US for example, most of the modules you study at a UK law school tend to be all-year long, so joining in mid-year means you missed the entire first half of many of your courses. That's not fair to you as you won't be able to adequately prep for your exams having had only half the instruction for your courses.

If there is a uni that would let you jump in mid-year, I would caution you from attending there at all.

Outside of the UK? The US is an option. But they don't allow you study law until Graduate school.
Original post by d.luffy

There are some universities that offer alternative start dates. A quick google search identifies BPP and Anglia Ruskin as two such universities, but you do not meet their minimum grade requirements. You will need to do some proper research into places offering late starts to see if this is feasible for you, but your grades are going to restrict where you can study.. Another option would be the Open University, who have an LLB starting Feb 2014.

But why the hurry when you've already secured a place?
Original post by d.luffy
Hey all,

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Hi d.luffy,

If you are looking to start your LLB earlier than September 2014, we also have start dates in January and May. Take a look here: http://www.bpp.com/undergraduate-course-details/d/undergraduate/LLB/97

Unfortunately you don't meet our entry requirements of 260 UCAS points, but you could study our Pathway to Legal Studies (http://www.bpp.com/undergraduate-course-details/d/undergraduate/PathwayLegal/3914) in January 2014 and go on to start your degree with us in May.

If you have any other questions about studying your LLB, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to help :smile:

Thanks
Tom
Original post by d.luffy
I appreciate all your responses, but law is my dream and I am definately sure I can achieve excellent grades in uni.

I am turning 20 on first jan ... so I can't do what you proposed.

It would be completely pointless in applying for university to study law given the current job markets. You would be better of doing another A-level and possibly consider re-taking to get higher grades. Law is one of the most competitive fields for work and it's unlikely you would get anywhere in a bad universities.
Reply 10
Original post by arrowhead
Most law unis don't really allow you to join in mid-year because, unlike the US for example, most of the modules you study at a UK law school tend to be all-year long, so joining in mid-year means you missed the entire first half of many of your courses. That's not fair to you as you won't be able to adequately prep for your exams having had only half the instruction for your courses.

If there is a uni that would let you jump in mid-year, I would caution you from attending there at all.

Outside of the UK? The US is an option. But they don't allow you study law until Graduate school.

You do have a fair point. Concerning the US, I am not looking forward in going there, as you said I would study law until I graduate and this is just a loss of time.
Reply 11
Original post by Bambilicious
There are some universities that offer alternative start dates. A quick google search identifies BPP and Anglia Ruskin as two such universities, but you do not meet their minimum grade requirements. You will need to do some proper research into places offering late starts to see if this is feasible for you, but your grades are going to restrict where you can study.. Another option would be the Open University, who have an LLB starting Feb 2014.

But why the hurry when you've already secured a place?

Well the reason for my hurry is because I have already lost a year during my academic years, if I wait until sept 2014 I would have lost 2 years in total and this is too much. I will look into the uni's you told me.

Original post by BPP University
Hi d.luffy,

If you are looking to start your LLB earlier than September 2014, we also have start dates in January and May. Take a look here: http://www.bpp.com/undergraduate-course-details/d/undergraduate/LLB/97

Unfortunately you don't meet our entry requirements of 260 UCAS points, but you could study our Pathway to Legal Studies (http://www.bpp.com/undergraduate-course-details/d/undergraduate/PathwayLegal/3914) in January 2014 and go on to start your degree with us in May.

If you have any other questions about studying your LLB, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to help :smile:

Thanks
Tom

I really appreciate you for your time in answering me. Having looked at your website, this path way to legal studies is a 3 month course? If I achieved this course and wanted to apply to a different university is it feasible?
Thank you.

Original post by Abdul-Karim
It would be completely pointless in applying for university to study law given the current job markets. You would be better of doing another A-level and possibly consider re-taking to get higher grades. Law is one of the most competitive fields for work and it's unlikely you would get anywhere in a bad universities.

Well in my point of view, the job market is there, you just need to find the right person and obtain the right skills. It all depends on each individual, as for me, I am definitely sure I can find a job once I graduate as I do have high ambition. Concerning bad universities, I do understand what you mean, that is why I am trying to choose my choices on the table. For example what Tom has proposed to me is an alternative to my A level grades and it is considered an education higher than A levels.
Original post by d.luffy
Well the reason for my hurry is because I have already lost a year during my academic years, if I wait until sept 2014 I would have lost 2 years in total and this is too much. I will look into the uni's you told me.

I really appreciate you for your time in answering me. Having looked at your website, this path way to legal studies is a 3 month course? If I achieved this course and wanted to apply to a different university is it feasible?
Thank you.

Well in my point of view, the job market is there, you just need to find the right person and obtain the right skills. It all depends on each individual, as for me, I am definitely sure I can find a job once I graduate as I do have high ambition. Concerning bad universities, I do understand what you mean, that is why I am trying to choose my choices on the table. For example what Tom has proposed to me is an alternative to my A level grades and it is considered an education higher than A levels.

Hi d.luffy,

If you successfully complete our three month pathway programme, you are guaranteed a place on our LLB, with your pathway programme tuition fee credited against the full LLB fee.

You would have to check with the particular institution to see whether they would accept you at their university based on you passing our pathway programme.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Tom
D.Luffy

If you only achieved 160 UCAS points because you genuinely found A-Levels difficult (rather than because of some extreme mitigating circumstances) then I do not think it would be wise to do a law degree at all at present, whether at BPP or elsewhere.

I would give you the exact same advice as MostUncivilised, above.

BPP University

I must say that allowing students who have just finished their A-Levels with 160 points onto a presumably more or less unfailable course with a guaranteed place on the LLB afterwards seems to be setting people up to fail their degree and waste money. Obviously it is different if the person has been out of education for 5 years and has picked up work-place experience, but I doubt very much that a DDE student (or similar) is capable of getting any kind of reasonable result on the LLB at BPP whether or not they first spend three months doing a pathway programme.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
If you only achieved 160 UCAS points because you genuinely found A-Levels difficult (rather than because of some extreme mitigating circumstances) then I do not think it would be wise to do a law degree at all at present, whether at BPP or elsewhere.

I must say that allowing students who have just finished their A-Levels with 160 points onto a presumably more or less unfailable course with a guaranteed place on the LLB afterwards seems to be setting people up to fail their degree and waste money. Obviously it is different if the person has been out of education for 5 years and has picked up work-place experience, but I doubt very much that a DDE student (or similar) is capable of getting any kind of reasonable result on the LLB at BPP whether or not they first spend three months doing a pathway programme.

Hi Forum User,

Whilst I understand your point, our pathway programme is designed to build confidence and prepare you for an undergraduate degree at BPP University. The programme covers a range of useful preparation subjects including and introductory legal module and another on elements of society and culture all designed to give you an excellent grounding in the basics of law and prepare you for your next step.

I hope this clears up and explains our pathway programme in a little bit more detail.

Thanks
Tom
Reply 15
Original post by BPP University
Hi d.luffy,

If you successfully complete our three month pathway programme, you are guaranteed a place on our LLB, with your pathway programme tuition fee credited against the full LLB fee.

You would have to check with the particular institution to see whether they would accept you at their university based on you passing our pathway programme.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Tom

Thank you very much.

Original post by Forum User

Please understand that my situation was absolutely not because I have found A levels difficult, in the contrary, the education I have received in Egypt and Geneva was absolutely not to the standard, not mentioning I have been moving country to country which does affects you as a human being overall. If I was able to resit my exams on Jan I would have definitely done it and would have gained the 250 ucas points +.

You have to look at it in a different point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending