The Student Room Group

Any Medics looking to study in Ireland, out there?

Hi All

I'm a mature student (36) born and living in N.Ireland. I don't have A Levels, so I am currently studying a Access course in Biology & Chemistry.

I have tried to research the Irish Unis as we only have Queen's in the north, which only accept A Levels and is very hard to get into. Looking at the mainland Uni's are off the table, they would involve moving away, I have two young kids and a hubby who wouldn't appreciate this.

So this put the Irish Uni's on the table, however I am really struggling to get to grips with it. UCD has a 6 year program, and look for very low A Level grades. I can't believe for a minute I have this right?
Reply 1
Original post by kathyowen04
Hi All

I'm a mature student (36) born and living in N.Ireland. I don't have A Levels, so I am currently studying a Access course in Biology & Chemistry.

I have tried to research the Irish Unis as we only have Queen's in the north, which only accept A Levels and is very hard to get into. Looking at the mainland Uni's are off the table, they would involve moving away, I have two young kids and a hubby who wouldn't appreciate this.

So this put the Irish Uni's on the table, however I am really struggling to get to grips with it. UCD has a 6 year program, and look for very low A Level grades. I can't believe for a minute I have this right?

Hey, UCD's 6 year program involves a premed year, unlike their 5 year program! and so yeah they have really low entry requirements (They dont require any lab sciences for the leaving cert) But from what i know about it, its the same CAO course code and therefore the people they will probably take on, will be people who have got very high results but just dont meet the science requirement for the 5 year,

However with you being a mature student, i would contact them directly about the mature applicants procedure as they will be looking at your application differently to that of school-leaving cao applicants! Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending