The Student Room Group

Aggressive Islam on campus

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, if there can be ways made to cater for prayers then there should be. If it is not possible (which im sure then can be some way to make it possible) then i suppose it needs to be accepted.
Reply 81
Aggressive islam on campus? Don't you mean aggressive muslims on campus!

What have they done that is "aggressive"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Abdul-Karim
what proof do you have?

Proof of what, exactly?
Original post by JC.
Proof of what, exactly?

That dolphin's exist.
Reply 84
Original post by Abdul-Karim
That dolphin's exist.

:confused:
Reply 85
Muslims are quick to violence aren't they?
Reply 86
Original post by Yakob
Muslims are quick to violence aren't they?

Yeah only muslims are quick to violence ...looks like you've not seen crimewatch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Gjaykay
Actually mate, that wasn't a dig at you, I was asking about what free speech meant to you, and I later added in the rest as a debate point to the general thread.

The Mosque's I've visited, men and women had to use different rooms to pray, I thought it was standard for every Mosque (and was told that), which would mean that it was discriminate against either men or women, depending on which gender was using said room at the time to pray. Or would it run like a "first come, first serve"?

If it is just a function room, why would the ISOC not want any other SOC to use it, when they don't have the power to ask that of the Uni?

Actually not all Mosques get afford to give both men and women prayer space, only the larger ones do.
Praying at a Mosque in Islam is more of a duty of sorts, etc on Men rather then women like Friday prayers are obligatory for Men while for women it isn't......hence due to the number of people who attend, many Mosque's don't have a female section as they simply cannot afford to do so without Men having to miss the prayers which is a problem whereas if women missed out on friday prayers it isn't a problem.

The mosque's which do have a male and female sections, are completely different from one another, separate entrances, separate wash facilities, etc women side tends to be smaller as attendance for women is much lower than on the male side. So essentially a permanent room for guys and one for the girls, so they can't be switched around.
If you choose to let something control your life then I don't see why others eg the university should have to cater for you .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Muslims are always complaining about things. They need mosques, they need special prison food.
Why don't we hear these ramblings from members of other religions? Hate and backwardness characterise Islam.
Reply 90
Someone thought muslim was a religion just shows how much you know about islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
I don't see why the university should have to provide a dedicated prayer space. There is a multi-faith chapel at my university, and everyone has to share it or simply attend a place of worship in town. Although I do sympathise with people have to pray in the rain they could break it into smaller groups and prayer at each others houses if they literally have no where else to do it.

If I remember correctly there was an argument last year between the University and Islam Soc over transcripts of sermons being available due to some extremist comments made in the past?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MostUncivilised
This is true, check out this article where they are praying outside on the grass, in the rain.

What a bunch of martyrs :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/muslim-students-pray-in-the-rain-after-queen-mary-university-denies-them-access-to-facilities-8918293.html

Don't get me wrong because I am all for freedom and would never try to prevent anybody from praying, but scenes like this make me sad. They make me feel as if the country is descending into a dark age of religious superstition, which we so nearly escaped from following the barbarism of the early-mid 20th century.
Original post by felamaslen
They make me feel as if the country is descending into a dark age of religious superstition, which we so nearly escaped from following the barbarism of the early-mid 20th century.

Marvelously well said; I completely agree. It's as though we're regressing to the puritanism of the 17th century.
So many of you speak like nazis/ kkk extremist groups. The irony is laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marvelously well said; I completely agree. It's as though we're regressing to the puritanism of the 17th century.

What barbarism exactly other than your views on Islam? Frankly, everything you say is either a generalisation or an extreme exaggeration. Your knowledge on Islam is comparable to that of a ****ing twigs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
No, I don't think I am. If pushy Christians were behaving in the same way, I would (and do) have the same objections. But they aren't. It's only the Muslims on the campuses of British universities who seem to be demanding that they be able to turn an institution of learning into a house of worship, and to have their own exclusive Muslim prayer rooms.

All forms of religious extremism preaching hate or anger when exercised should result in arrest. Sick of extreme religious people. Seriously thou its not like they are representatives for the whole of Muslims. They're not a serious political movement.
Reply 97
Original post by originaltitle
You should apply to work for the Daily Mail, the way you distort the facts is fantastic.

Mocking with intention to offend is not the same as free speech.
But seeing as you consider it free speech, there's no reason why protesting this supposed 'free speech' shouldn't be classified as 'free speech' either.

Agreed. Hate when people assume all of Islam is linked directly to extremism. Not many judge Christianity coz of WBC. (Westboro Baptist Chuch) and the KKK.
Reply 98
This expresses it perfectly

That's bull. Might reject them for that, every other University provides it so can't see the problem with QMUL.
Why do you care if they make part of the uni a mosque or not. Nobodys forcing you to visit the mosques, nobody's forcing you to talk to them, I don't see what you're so angry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending