The Student Room Group

Orthoptics applicants 2014

Hi
I noticed there wasn't a thread for orthoptics applicants and current orthoptics students to place posts about the course, to ask questions, to talk about their offers, to discuss the universities they'd applied to and to talk about waiting for responses from universities.
So i thought i'd create one as i myself am nervously awaiting responses from universities for orthoptics and optometry courses.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good idea :smile: Which universities have you applied for? I'm in my third year at liverpool at the minute so would be happy to help with any questions you have about orthoptics at liverpool or orthoptics in general :smile: We have a Facebook group too, where we (current students) will answer questions and post relevant material...may be worth having a look as it gives you a students insight into orthoptics! It's 'university of liverpool orthoptics' and twitter is @LivUniOrthoptics if you want to follow us or get in touch!

Katy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi yeah I applied to Sheffield, Liverpool and Glasgow for orthoptics and cardiff and Manchester for optometry. All the unis have emailed me to say they've got it but I haven't heard anything. I'm soo nervous, really wanna do orthoptics. When did you apply?
Reply 3
Original post by Katyh88
Good idea :smile: Which universities have you applied for? I'm in my third year at liverpool at the minute so would be happy to help with any questions you have about orthoptics at liverpool or orthoptics in general :smile: We have a Facebook group too, where we (current students) will answer questions and post relevant material...may be worth having a look as it gives you a students insight into orthoptics! It's 'university of liverpool orthoptics' and twitter is @LivUniOrthoptics if you want to follow us or get in touch!

Katy
Thanks I'll definitely have a look. How long did you wait for your responses from uni?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'll definitely have a look. How long did you wait for your responses from uni?
Reply 4
Hey, I'm applying for orthoptics as well! Absolutely pee-ing my pants waiting though!
Reply 5
Hi guys,
I've applied for Orthoptics at Sheffield and went for the applicants open day/interview at the end of November. Did anyone go to the applicants day or had an offer yet?
Reply 6
Original post by flossygal23
Hi guys,
I've applied for Orthoptics at Sheffield and went for the applicants open day/interview at the end of November. Did anyone go to the applicants day or had an offer yet?

Hey I'm going over to the open day in February, what's it like? or what did you have to do? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 10smithh

I was a late applicant so I didn't wait very long but 4-6 weeks seems to be about the typical amount of time. Think it can take longer though as they get more and more people applying every year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
If you get the email from sheffield about the department open day, is that like they will give you an offer after you have been? Or does it mean that they decide afterwards if they want you? Anyone else got it? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
I applied for Liverpool, Sheffield and Glasgow for orthoptics too :smile: no offers yet though
Reply 10
Yeah I got an email from sheffield. Going on February 14th, so I'm hoping that means they are interested. I'd also like to know what happens after you go and how long you have to wait for an email. Also got a second email from Liverpool saying they'd respond soon. So fingers crossed
Reply 11
Also has anybody heard from Liverpool?
Haven't heard from liverpool, but to be honest my ucas only went on Friday, so wasn't even expecting any replies so soon haha :smile:
Reply 13
Got an offer from Liverpool!!!!! So looking forward to going to the sheffield and liverpool open day. Still waiting for Glasgow
Well done :smile: which is your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Sophieeexxx
Well done :smile: which is your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Well between Glasgow and Liverpool it's Liverpool. But overall I really like Sheffield and I think that would be my first choice. But I think that when I go to the open days, then I'll have made a decision. What's your first choice?
Reply 16
Also got an offer from Glasgow, but what did put me off was the £7000 a year fees, because it's Scotland i'd be considered an international student :frown: But nonetheless I'll still go and see what the unis like
I like sheffield best i think :smile: didn't apply to glasgow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by 10smithh
Got an offer from Liverpool!!!!! So looking forward to going to the sheffield and liverpool open day. Still waiting for Glasgow

Well done on your offers. When did you send your UCAS away? I got the email from Sheffield asking me to attend an open day but haven't heard anything from the others yet.
I got a letter from liverpool yesterday saying they had my application and that I should have received an email already, I haven't yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending