The Student Room Group

**Dental Mock Interview Day**

Hey guys,

My name is Ryan Howells and I'm the treasurer of a society called saving faces at Barts and the London School of Dentistry. So this is basically what it says on the tin. A mock interview day for all potential dental applicants year 12/13/gap year/graduate/mature students (or any other).

We've organised this event to help potential dental applicants have a more in-depth understanding of the admissions/interview process and to give you a chance to practice your interview technique face-to-face with experienced interviewers.

The proposed date is the 11th of Janurary 2014

The proposed venue is the Garrod Building at Barts and the London, which is located on the Whitechapel campus in Central London.

The cost is £13 per person with a discount to £10 if you book before the 10th of December.

The day will start at 10am and finish at around 5pm (depending when your interview is)

The day itself will be split into two parts:-
Morning: Talks about -

Interview technique and presentation

Technical + clinical knowledge related to dentistry

Private vs. NHS and ethical scenarios

The admissions process and how it works.

Afternoon:

15 minute mock interviews

10 minute feedback session afterwards.

You will also be provided with written feedback of your interview with points on how to improve, in order to give you the best chance of succeeding at interview

There will also be as much Tea/Coffee/Biscuits as you can physically consume (Y)

PLEASE NOTE: Tickets will strictly be sold on a first come first serve basis as this is likely to be a very popular event and is also being advertised outside of TSR. There is a maximum amount of students we can accommodate. We don't want people to miss out on this unique opportunity, so please book early to avoid disappointment!

All enquiries can be addressed to me on here, via PM or to [email protected]. I will send you an information pack about the day and instructions for payment. We will provisionally reserve you a place upon enquirey and once we have received your payment we will email you to confirm your place. Any other questions are extremely welcome and i will do my best to answer them.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT WITH YOUR EMAIL!
(This will be kept confidential, in line with data protection laws and will only be seen by the interviewers and myself)

We at Barts and the London Saving Faces Society look forward to hearing from you soon. Happy holidays to all, and the best of luck with your application into the new year, see you soon!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hurry up guys, places are already going fast!
Reply 2
We're also hoping to have an MMI style interview as well as standard panel style.
Is this for Barts applicants only? Or for any dental applicant?
Reply 4
Original post by Joey Tribbiani
Is this for Barts applicants only? Or for any dental applicant?

It's suitable for applicants to any dental school and there will be both MMI and panel format interviews taking place so it will be beneficial and applicable for applicants to any UK dental schools. We are however limited to 36 students for the MMI format interviews, so those wishing to take advantage of this format should get in contact sooner rather than later!

Ryan.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kartace
Hey guys,

My name is Ryan Howells and I'm the treasurer of a society called saving faces at Barts and the London School of Dentistry. So this is basically what it says on the tin. A mock interview day for all potential dental applicants year 12/13/gap year/graduate/mature students (or any other).

We've organised this event to help potential dental applicants have a more in-depth understanding of the admissions/interview process and to give you a chance to practice your interview technique face-to-face with experienced interviewers.

The proposed venue is the Garrod Building at Barts and the London, which is located on the Whitechapel campus in Central London.

The cost is £13 per person with a discount to £10 if you book before the 10th of December.

The day will start at 10am and finish at around 5pm (depending when your interview is)

Afternoon:

You will also be provided with written feedback of your interview with points on how to improve, in order to give you the best chance of succeeding at interview

There will also be as much Tea/Coffee/Biscuits as you can physically consume (Y)

PLEASE NOTE: Tickets will strictly be sold on a first come first serve basis as this is likely to be a very popular event and is also being advertised outside of TSR. There is a maximum amount of students we can accommodate. We don't want people to miss out on this unique opportunity, so please book early to avoid disappointment!

All enquiries can be addressed to me on here, via PM or to [email protected]. I will send you an information pack about the day and instructions for payment. We will provisionally reserve you a place upon enquirey and once we have received your payment we will email you to confirm your place. Any other questions are extremely welcome and i will do my best to answer them.

(This will be kept confidential, in line with data protection laws and will only be seen by the interviewers and myself)

We at Barts and the London Saving Faces Society look forward to hearing from you soon. Happy holidays to all, and the best of luck with your application into the new year, see you soon!

Hello please may I book? I am applying for several dental hygiene and therapy courses and would love to get into my dream Uni.... I have already cleared my diary for this day ? Please can I have a space xxx
Betty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
is it only running on the 11th??? I can't do saturdays but thsi sounds liek an amazing opportunity! :frown:

Original post by Kartace
Hey guys,

Afternoon:

Reply 7
Original post by abixx
is it only running on the 11th??? I can't do saturdays but thsi sounds liek an amazing opportunity! :frown:

Hey there,

Unfortunately it is only being ran on the 11th of January this year. But i would really recommend trying to clear that Saturday if you can, this really is going to be a fantastic day, with a lot of great speakers and both panel and MMI style interviews.
Reply 8
Such a shame i can't come because i live in France and I have class on Saturdays :B uuuuurg. I wished it was one week earlier, I would still be in vacation and be able to come
I'm an AS student I don't have a personal statement could I still apply
I really want to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ilovesummerrr
I'm an AS student I don't have a personal statement could I still apply
I really want to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just write one up for us and we'll look through it. A personal statement is a must if we're going to conduct an interview because it gives us something to ask you questions about.
Reply 11
Hi Ryan

Thanks for organising this! Could I please book a place for the MMI style interview aswell as the normal panel interview?

Thanks

Original post by Kartace
Hey guys,

Afternoon:

Are there any more MMI spaces left? id really like a place
Reply 13
Dear all,

It is with much sadness that i have to inform you of the cancellation of the mock interview day. Let me assure you that this is as much of a disappointment to me and the saving faces team as it is to you.

The day has been cancelled due to an apparent conflict of interests between the aims and objective of the day and a number of policies at QMUL. This was brought to my attention by a senior member of staff, as such we are unable to run the day in it's current format and with time, financial and political constraints, we are unable to run the day.

Please accept my deepest apologies for this and for any inconvenience caused. I would have dearly loved to run this day, it was my baby, i worked on it from the beginning and i have a burning desire to help dental applicants. But as much as i would like this day to go ahead, if it does, my team and I run the risk off being stricken off by the GDC or expelled from our dental school for being in breach of University policy.

Once again, my most sincere apologies.

I wish you all the best in your applications and subsequent studies. Perhaps i will see you in future years an a conference! :smile:

Ryan Howells.
Treasurer - Barts and the London Saving Faces Society

Quick Reply

Latest