The Student Room Group

Dentistry application Kings College London 2024

Hi everyone. It has been my dream to study dentistry in KCL for the longest time, but I have a few worries in terms of super curriculars and work experience.
fortunately, i am not too worried about my grades but more the extra curricular side. I know that dentistry is super competitive, which is why I am hoping for some advice on what to do.
It is so difficult to get in person work experience at a dental clinic without knowing anyone and I need to do some extra curricular on dentistry itself. Can anyone recommend any experiences or things they did? Or what they wish they did?
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

For finding dental work experience, I recommend you to find contacts of all dental pratice in your area and post them your CV / Letter about work experience / (Optional: Letter of recommendation). Thats what I did to get work experience without knowing anyone. If you are really struggling, try Dentistry online work experiences / workshops or a hospital in your local area for volunteering opportunities. Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Kznr1529
For finding dental work experience, I recommend you to find contacts of all dental pratice in your area and post them your CV / Letter about work experience / (Optional: Letter of recommendation). Thats what I did to get work experience without knowing anyone. If you are really struggling, try Dentistry online work experiences / workshops or a hospital in your local area for volunteering opportunities. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Do you recommend I read or do anything to prepare myself for the course?
Original post by mk1234W
Hi everyone. It has been my dream to study dentistry in KCL for the longest time, but I have a few worries in terms of super curriculars and work experience.
fortunately, i am not too worried about my grades but more the extra curricular side. I know that dentistry is super competitive, which is why I am hoping for some advice on what to do.
It is so difficult to get in person work experience at a dental clinic without knowing anyone and I need to do some extra curricular on dentistry itself. Can anyone recommend any experiences or things they did? Or what they wish they did?
Thank you!

hi, i just got an offer to start in sept, and i didnt have any in person exp except one week at a gp, and i had online work exp by dental mentor so look into that! there is also one w futurelearn by uni of sheffield but i didnt do that one but lots of people did. good luck!
Any good tips to improve the ucat?
I am trying so hard and can't get out of the 2400 scale. I am applying as a graduate and need help with the ucat. Any advice will be very helpful. :frown:
Original post by Greekdentist
Any good tips to improve the ucat?
I am trying so hard and can't get out of the 2400 scale. I am applying as a graduate and need help with the ucat. Any advice will be very helpful. :frown:

2930 b1 , i j watched videos on youtube to familiarise myself w what to expect in each section then i exclusively used medify and started w a practice mock to see my start point then i practiced each section and did more mocks. AR was my lowest by far initially but i got the highest there as i think that section is most easily improved w practice as you spot the pattern much quicker and sometimes its worth guessing if you dont get it and flag since you will likely run out of time in that section.
also i never got above 2750 in my mocks so achieved much higher on the day so stay calm and dont panic bc you dont have time to
Original post by flora1000
2930 b1 , i j watched videos on youtube to familiarise myself w what to expect in each section then i exclusively used medify and started w a practice mock to see my start point then i practiced each section and did more mocks. AR was my lowest by far initially but i got the highest there as i think that section is most easily improved w practice as you spot the pattern much quicker and sometimes its worth guessing if you dont get it and flag since you will likely run out of time in that section.
also i never got above 2750 in my mocks so achieved much higher on the day so stay calm and dont panic bc you dont have time to

Thank you! :smile:Will try to follow your advice and do lots of practice. Hopefully can get a high score. :redface:
Thank you! :smile:Will try to follow your advice and do lots of practice. Hopefully can get a high score. :redface:

good luck! hope u smash it this time xxx
good luck! hope u smash it this time xxx

Thank you fingers crossed!:smile:
hi, i just got an offer to start in sept, and i didnt have any in person exp except one week at a gp, and i had online work exp by dental mentor so look into that! there is also one w futurelearn by uni of sheffield but i didnt do that one but lots of people did. good luck!

What GCSE grades did you have? If you don’t me asking you
Original post by Aye5ha_20
What GCSE grades did you have? If you don’t me asking you

Reply 11
Original post by mk1234W
Thank you!

Hi! I’m not sure which spec you do for A Level Biology but for AQA, required practical 6 involves creating your own aseptic techniques method experiment. You can easily use this practical as a platform to discuss your interest in dentistry. E.g., I did mine a few weeks ago and my experiment was investigating whether Stannous Fluoride dentifrices have a greater anti microbial effect than regular Sodium Fluoride Dentifrices. You could easily discuss this in you personal statement in the extra curricular section or even at interview! Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Original post by Sufyan.L
Hi! I’m not sure which spec you do for A Level Biology but for AQA, required practical 6 involves creating your own aseptic techniques method experiment. You can easily use this practical as a platform to discuss your interest in dentistry. E.g., I did mine a few weeks ago and my experiment was investigating whether Stannous Fluoride dentifrices have a greater anti microbial effect than regular Sodium Fluoride Dentifrices. You could easily discuss this in you personal statement in the extra curricular section or even at interview! Hope this helps!

Yep! I fully agree with this. Last year (Lower 6th) I did my own microbiology test where I tested the antibacterial effectiveness of different brands of mouthwash on e. coli (FYI, Listerine did really badly). Didn't particularly mention it anywhere because I personally though it was too awkward to bring up during my interview randomly, didn't put it in my personal statement either as I had more important extracurriculars. However, it is a really fun thing to do in terms of research and extending your knowledge, and if need be, your application!
Reply 13
I really want to apply to dentistry at king's but unfortunately scored 655 b2 in the ucat, it was luck since i was getting really high in my mocks but there were circumstances which didnt help me in the exam, is it worth still applying
Original post by noora1233
I really want to apply to dentistry at king's but unfortunately scored 655 b2 in the ucat, it was luck since i was getting really high in my mocks but there were circumstances which didnt help me in the exam, is it worth still applying

Hi congrats on your score! Don't get disheartened I am sure you can still apply to King's as they are holistic and you got band 2 on the SJT so you got chances I believe.:smile:
Which section did you find particularly hard on your ucat exam and was the SJT generally easy?
Reply 15
Original post by noora1233

I wouldn't risk applying for main course KCL dent. I applied in 2022 with 677.5 band3 and got rejected pre int. However if u live in greater london do apply for enhanced support as I got an interview for that. Also, generally speaking any uni that has any sort of priority on ucat avoid applying there as imo 700 is the new 650.
Do you think 2520 band 2 sjt will be ok for king's as a graduate?
Reply 17
Do you think 2520 band 2 sjt will be ok for king's as a graduate?

Not familiar with graduate entry but from what I know is seems too low
Original post by drdent
Not familiar with graduate entry but from what I know is seems too low

Thank you for letting me know about this. Do you know if the 5 year course requires a higher ucat for graduates too?
Reply 19
Thank you for letting me know about this. Do you know if the 5 year course requires a higher ucat for graduates too?

Again im sorry I wouldn't know

Quick Reply

Latest