The Student Room Group

Newham collegiate sixth form - NCS6? 2014

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

well I've applied but I'm not sure about how good it will be. It's always a risk with new sixth forms. They're grade boundaries to get in are really high though, so if you do get in, be prepared to be surrounded by either:
A) really smart and hard-working students
B) big headed, snobbish teens who think they're the best things that have ever set foot on this planet

That's the trouble you see; you can never be sure of what to expect. At least with other sixth form you have some views of current/previous students who have had a bit of experience of the sixth form.
Original post by Bloom77
Oh cool!
I believe that's my first choice!

*sighs* i wish i was more like you and had my choices all sorted out. If you don't mind me asking, what other sixth forms are you applying to?
Nah, why would i mind?
I applied to basically all the sixth forms that people are praising. Apparently Brampton got really good results last year and they're part of the top 1% of something in the UK. I'm not sure but nearly all the people at my school wanna get into Brampton and even though it's right near my house, i probably wont get in since my grades look like ants compared to some people that are applying with A* in everything. Plus Brampton only takes 150 or so students :frown:
HOWEVER, i've also applied to LAE but i've heard that there's A LOT of pressure. Like A LOT. A lot of people dropped out of the sixth form during the first 2 weeks because they couldn't handle the work load and demand for independent learning. If you can handle it, go for it! I also applied to Chobham (wow, i loved the building and the college on the whole seemed REAALLY good), St Angelas, Valentines and Newvic (The honors programme is good, but it's my backup).

What subjects are you planning to study at A-levels?
I'm studying History too! I just love it! I'm going to also study maths, English Lit and Economics. If i get into Brampton, Classical Civilization is my reserve choice. If I don't like Economics then hopefully I will change it to that. But because I'm also predicted an A* for biology, and decide that in fact English Lit and Economics just aren't my thing, i might take Bio and chem. BUT THAT'S VERY UNLIKELY. I'm not sure of what i really wanna become but going into the field of law has always been a dream. At this age though, when i'm so indecisive, anything can happen i guess.
Original post by Bloom77
Wow, that's really different!!
I haven't spoken to anyone studying law!
I'm more of a science and maths person lol!
I've had enough of English! I hate it!!
I like history because of its content, it's so interesting!!

Lol. I really like english lit. PFT my best friend is crazy. Shes taking Maths, further maths, physics and geography. Even thinking about it makes me suicidal. But I guess its because she loves maths.
Original post by Bloom77
haha! sorry for the late reply.
Did you get an interview or anything yet?

Naah no interviews yet until late March. BUT HEEEEY i really like the sound of it now. I spoke to the head teacher Mr Ismail and he definitely seems like my type of teacher. We had that 'tea with the principal' day and played games and stuff- it was really fun. I guess Newham Collegiate has now officially become my top choice. I might even choose it over Brampton.
Original post by NumberSevennn
well I've applied but I'm not sure about how good it will be. It's always a risk with new sixth forms. They're grade boundaries to get in are really high though, so if you do get in, be prepared to be surrounded by either:
A) really smart and hard-working students
B) big headed, snobbish teens who think they're the best things that have ever set foot on this planet

That's the trouble you see; you can never be sure of what to expect. At least with other sixth form you have some views of current/previous students who have had a bit of experience of the sixth form.

I am actually quite worried about that too. I'm not sure how it's going to go down. I'm going to Newham Collegiate, but I'm not focusing too much on the students - I want to focus on the teachers and standard of teaching there. I won't really aim for friends and things like that, mainly because that friendship stuff hasn't worked too well for me in secondary school.
Original post by NumberSevennn
Naah no interviews yet until late March. BUT HEEEEY i really like the sound of it now. I spoke to the head teacher Mr Ismail and he definitely seems like my type of teacher. We had that 'tea with the principal' day and played games and stuff- it was really fun. I guess Newham Collegiate has now officially become my top choice. I might even choose it over Brampton.

Sorry to intrude on your thread by the way, it seems as though you two have quite a nice little raport going on here! Um, I can't help but notice that I applied to all of the same places as you. NCS is my first choice, and I am also going into law.
Soo... Is anyone having any last minute doubts about NCS?
Reply 10
I just started at the NCS today and well it's alright I guess :redface: but everyone's so snart there & I feel so dumb compared to them ._.
Original post by AtifaC
I just started at the NCS today and well it's alright I guess :redface: but everyone's so snart there & I feel so dumb compared to them ._.

So it's not full of roadmen like everyone perceived it to be ?
Reply 12
Original post by mercuryman
So it's not full of roadmen like everyone perceived it to be ?

No it's not 😂😂 It's like another LAE in a way but better teaching 😂
Reply 13
Original post by Bloom77
Don't worry about it.
just work hard in your a-levels.

Haha thanks you too! What college you going to?
Reply 14
Ooh what form you in & what's your name if you don't mind me asking?:redface:
Reply 15
Haha alrighty(: & form 2 but if you ever see me or hear my name just say hello and say you're that person from the student room :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bloom77
lol okay! I'll do that :biggrin:
I actually recognised you at cambridge
but whenever i see you!
what u doing for a-levels?

Are you a girl or boy btw just to have an idea of who you are 😂😂 and yes you should! Make sure to say hi yeah;D and Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & geography wbu? :smile:
Reply 17
Hey guys! Couple of months late but I was just wondering what the lowest GCSE grades you'd say would get accepted into the NCS?
Reply 18
Original post by Saadia12
Hey guys! Couple of months late but I was just wondering what the lowest GCSE grades you'd say would get accepted into the NCS?

the minimum requirements are 4 A's and 4 B's 😄
Reply 19
Hey, I've applied for NCS and my predicted grades were 2A* 3A 3B and 2C.
I'm planning to do maths, biology, chemidtry and psychology.
would I be able to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest