The Student Room Group

Exeter or Manchester?

Holding offers to study LLB law at Exeter and Manchester. I visited Exeter and really liked it, havent visited Manchester but I have heard good things from both. Both have the same entry requirements - AAA
Although Exeter is higher on the overall and subject league tables on all three of the comparison sights, I know Manchester has the greater international reputation and the more typical "red brick appeal".
I was wandering which would be better to help secure a job in the fiture at somewhere like a magic circle or a silver circle law firm?

Cheers in advance.:smile:
I can't help regarding the course or the prospects. However I can at least say that (having lived in both cities for several years) they are both brilliant places to live, though considerably different in atmosphere and outlook. Anyhow, best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
I can't help regarding the course or the prospects. However I can at least say that (having lived in both cities for several years) they are both brilliant places to live, though considerably different in atmosphere and outlook. Anyhow, best of luck.

Ahhhhh yeah the feeling I have got is that they are both brilliant! I suppose I do have to remember I'm fortunate to be in this conundrum, but thanks for the opinion :smile:
Reply 3
Honestly? In my opinion, neither university will give you a substantial advantage over the other (pertaining to prospects for the legal profession). Your background, extracurriculars, and most importantly, grades, will make all the difference.
Reply 4
Original post by arrowhead
Honestly? In my opinion, neither university will give you a substantial advantage over the other (pertaining to prospects for the legal profession). Your background, extracurriculars, and most importantly, grades, will make all the difference.

Pretty much. Choose the place that you invariably think you will enjoy more (in terms of the way the course is structured and taught, all the way to accommodation, nightlife and the like).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by LawLad13
Pretty much. Choose the place that you invariably think you will enjoy more (in terms of the way the course is structured and taught, all the way to accommodation, nightlife and the like).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers guys this really clears things up :smile:
Reply 6
Just wandering if anyone who currently goes to either of the unis has some insight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
wondering* :P
I'm from Manchester uni, and the most important factor that you have to consider imo, is the type of campus you want to be living in.
Manchester is a city campus. When they say that everything is scattered [lecture theatres, subject-specific buildings, library and accommodation campuses], they aren't lying. Manchester is a university but there are almost no boundaries, and it's basically in the city/very easy to go in the city. Manchester is also very well known for being the cheapest student city as well; lots of young people everywhere.
While choosing my unis, I took a look at Exeter, often praised for the greenery and how beautiful the campus is. Well expect no greenery from Manchester, but we do have the best 24/7 Alan Gilbert Learning Commons in UK, and a very good library too.
Which subject will you be studying?
Reply 8
Original post by 07marfligeo

Congratulations on your offers :smile: I live in Manchester and although I'm only in year 11, I can tell you that Manchester is a great place, really great city! My cousin used to go Manchester uni and he said it was great but I'm sure Exeter is great as well :P (sorry for saying great so much)
Reply 10
Hmm I think you'd be better off with Manchester for law. For the main reason that it's in the city and many global firms target it, we get lots of networking events all year round. Plus I think that our course is more structured. [I'm unbiased] But if you come here, be prepared to do a lot, and i mean, A LOT of independent study!
From the employers' point of view, a Manchester degree will give you an advantage. MC and SC firms really like Manchester for some reason, although the university slightly lags behind in terms of academics when you compare it to, say, Bristol, Durham or UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending