The Student Room Group

Compare how language is used for effect - what does this even mean!

I'm doing my GCSEs and I failed so badly at this question in the mock, but I can never get what they're asking you to do! Someone please help!
Reply 1
If it's GCSE Eng Lit you're talking about then I'd say to think more about the way langauge techniques are used such as adjectives, imagery, personification, metaphors and smilies to support the things that the writer is trying to say etc
For example, if the writer has repeated the word 'miserable' or 'sickly', how does that portray the writer's opinion? What negative connotations does it have?
If a phrase such as 'the poor, powerless, pained soul' is used, what images does that make you see? There's alliteration here and all the adjectives are emphasising one thing - the bad condition that the soul is in. It makes you feel sympathetic towards whoever the writer is talking about.
That's what you basically need to be doing, picking out key words or phrases and then stating what type of language technique it is and linking it to what the question is asking you. So in this case, you will be talking about the effect it has on the reader.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending