The Student Room Group

"Life" sucks!

This is very hard for me to explain but all my life I have never wanted to live life the way "its supposed" to be played out. Ya know.. get a job, get a house, all that stuff.

I am at college at the moment so these aren't a problem for me yet but I know when I leave they will be. The worst of it all is the "get a job" aspect. Not to sound morbid but i'd rather die then work all my life just to earn pieces of paper that I can buy stuff with.

A lot of people will just say "deal with it" or "that's what life is" or but I just won't believe it! There must be more to life then that!

What options are there after college besides getting a job?
Any opinions apprichiated
Reply 1
The idea is to find a job in which you're not just earning "pieces of paper that I can buy stuff with" but to find a job which you actually enjoy doing and earn money from.

But yes, I completely agree. One of the reasons I want to become mega rich is to 40 years of hell.
Reply 2
Claim benefits and live frugally

Become self-employed

Commit a crime and go to jail

Do endless qualifications/training courses
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Ideally you do want to get a house as otherwise you could well end up living amongst very anti-social people, in poor quality housing, with no easy means of escape

This usually involves a certain period of working

I'd say it's worth doing for the peace of mind having your own place brings

No reliance on other people
(edited 10 years ago)
Well... what do you want to do?
Reply 5
Original post by tomtjl
The idea is to find a job in which you're not just earning "pieces of paper that I can buy stuff with" but to find a job which you actually enjoy doing and earn money from.

I agree with what you're saying but that's the problem, I seldom find anything I enjoy and when I do I don't have the motivation or inspiration to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Extremotroph
Well... what do you want to do?

Find a bigger meaning to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I understand what you mean about how life is "supposed" to be. I mean, just because the majority of people get a job, marry and have kids doesn't mean everyone has to do that.

It's like my friends who don't understand why I don't want to marry in the future - it's just not for me. And as for the kids and house? I don't really mind if it goes that way, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get that, or even worry or be sad about it because it hasn't happened yet.

I think that perhaps you need to stop thinking of it as a "job," but rather ask yourself, "What do I want to do with the life I have been given?"

There must be something that you enjoy doing, something that you would like to do with the majority of your time. You don't even have to stick to that one route either. You can change your mind, you can do and be many things as you want, just as long as you're happy.

I think you're just thinking about it negatively. Start thinking of it getting money for something you enjoy/love doing. That's why it's so important to do what you want and not be pressured or pushed into living someone else's dreams but your own.

Take care, I know you'll find your way in the end. :smile:

Merry Christmas by the way :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by ThomasRain
I agree with what you're saying but that's the problem, I seldom find anything I enjoy and when I do I don't have the motivation or inspiration to do it.

I am very much in the same boat, my friend. I really have nothing that I really want to do with my life, the plan has always been get rich and sit on that for the rest of my existence. Ah well.
Yeah growing up is hard. This is all life is and it's pretty sucky, but as we are only here once might as well just be positive. *Sigh* Part of me is just tempted to marry a rich man
You could find a job that you enjoy, or do other things as well like volunteering in a different industry, or joining a social group/club.

I know you've said you don't want to hear this, but unless you do something seriously extraordinary that results in a lot of funds then this IS life, and you have to suck it up & deal with it.

That being said, of course, there are people who manage to do other things with their life than work, but those are few and far between statistically. There's nothing to say that you can't give it a go, though.
Original post by ThomasRain
Find a bigger meaning to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. If it is really your will then you will find it.
Reply 12
Original post by nguyenj
"What do I want to do with the life I have been given?"

There must be something that you enjoy doing, something that you would like to do with the majority of your time. You don't even have to stick to that one route either. You can change your mind, you can do and be many things as you want, just as long as you're happy.

Thank you for this detailed answer, it's given me a lot of food for thought. I've always wanted to travel and explore the world, So after college I might do a bit of that.

Have a nice Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would seriously consider doing some volunteering which involves people living difficult lives (illness, disability, homelessness, poverty - whatever reason) Some of these people's outlooks on life can be truly inspirational as they are not living the life that most people do (though some would probably prefer to) and because of that, they may have a totally different perspective which might inspire you and help you to realise what you want from life and how to move forward, you could intergrate this into travelling to. Travelling in itself can be really good if you try to immerse yourself in other cultures and learn from then, again completely different perspectives and outlooks which might give you perspective on your own life.
Reply 14
There isn't much choice. You need money to survive and you get money from jobs. It's depressing as ****, but that's what life is. You just have to try and find a job that's somewhat bearable.

I mean, there are other things you could do, like commit a crime. You could steal enough money to live on, or you could get caught and live in prison. Probably not an advisable choice though. You could live in a forest, build your own shelter and hunt for food. Again, not great.
Reply 15
Yeah this is a very feasible option for me so thank you for taking your time to respond, I'll keep you up to date if anything happens.

Merry Christmas
Reply 16
Go explore yourself.

a) Find something you love doing.

b) Make sure it is legal.

c) Find a way to make a living/money out of it providing it's legal.

As easy as a-b-c :tongue: It's much easier to say than to do though :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending