The Student Room Group

First placement expectations - mental health.

What exactly is required of me/should I expect to be a part of in the first placement? Uni has not been the clear about this so was just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It depends where your placement is but for the first one it's more about having a positive attitude, learning how to keep boundaries in place and building good relationships with the patients. No one expects you to be amazing on your first placement so be confident and enjoy it!
Reply 2
Original post by Soph.Jade
It depends where your placement is but for the first one it's more about having a positive attitude, learning how to keep boundaries in place and building good relationships with the patients. No one expects you to be amazing on your first placement so be confident and enjoy it!

Hey :smile:
It's admission avoidance for over 65s for functional mental health illnesses. So they're acutely ill but being treated in the community. I'm just nervous and don't know what I'd be expected to do? Sit and watch, try and interact? I don't want to be too reticent or too overly involved. Aggghhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Mattyrewls22
Hey :smile:
It's admission avoidance for over 65s for functional mental health illnesses. So they're acutely ill but being treated in the community. I'm just nervous and don't know what I'd be expected to do? Sit and watch, try and interact? I don't want to be too reticent or too overly involved. Aggghhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow -what an interesting first placement :biggrin: (jealous as hell haha).

When i spent a week with that type of team there were a lot of initial assessments where we tried to understand how well/unwell the person was and whether we could help or the person needed to be referred. I wouldn't expect to be doing assessments straight away but i'm sure you can help to write up what was said and ask a few questions and build yourself up to leading an assessment under supervision.

there's a lot of visiting people in their homes - try to initiate conversation, ask open ended questions, gage their response, look out for signs that they are hallucinating, be re-assuring and let them talk.

There will probably be a lot of chasing people and convincing people that you are there to help and stuff but it may be different where you are :smile:

Good luck with it - it's a fab first placement and a real learning opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending