The Student Room Group

Does first year matter?

Due to mental health issues I've not been as motivated in the first year as I would've liked to be. I've tabulated my current marks and several different simulations of varying exam scores and I've worked out at a realistic estimate I'll be straddling the line between a 2:1 and a 1:1.

Would it matter if I somehow got a 2:1 instead of a 1:1? For instance I know placements look at grades but how important is the distinction in that case? Furthermore are individual exam scores looked at as there are some modules I am better at than others. Thanks!
Reply 1
course and uni?
Reply 2
Usually not. A 2i is fine in first year - you're clearly already in good habits.

(there is no such classification as a I:I, it is simply I.)
Original post by Anonymous
Due to mental health issues I've not been as motivated in the first year as I would've liked to be. I've tabulated my current marks and several different simulations of varying exam scores and I've worked out at a realistic estimate I'll be straddling the line between a 2:1 and a 1:1.

Would it matter if I somehow got a 2:1 instead of a 1:1? For instance I know placements look at grades but how important is the distinction in that case? Furthermore are individual exam scores looked at as there are some modules I am better at than others. Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous,

I’d talk to your course leader or tutor as I know for some, first year doesn’t count for anything! I think this is because most universities are aware of the pressures and, as you have mentioned, it can have a big impact on mental health.

Moving away from home, adjusting to new life and making new friends can be difficult enough for one person without the added expectation to do really well in first year! So try not to worry too much about it, as long as you are trying your best and are doing everything you can to take care of yourself and your mental health, that’s the main priority taken care of.

Also, a 2:1 is pretty good for first year anyway so well done!! Even if it does count towards anything, you will still be able to gain a 1st in your years to come. Similarly to placements, these don’t usually occur till 2nd/3rd year anyway so you have plenty of time to prepare for those. Keep up that motivation to be the best possible version of you and you’ll get where you want to be!

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending