Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr Student
What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law and psychology
Original post by vanessap
Law and psychology

Do you honestly think you might benefit from more lecture hours?
Reply 22
Original post by polscistudent88
Do you honestly think you might benefit from more lecture hours?

No because all they do is read out the slides. I just feel like it would make sense to do it all that by my self at home and then pay the uni to sit an exam.
That's basically what you do. It's worth attending lectures to keep focused and up to date. Plus you might learn something you didn't grasp in your own reading.

What were you thinking of doing as an alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No because all they do is read out the slides. I just feel like it would make sense to do it all that by my self at home and then pay the uni to sit an exam.

You also have the opportunity to go and talk with the lecturers during their office hours, why don't you try to discuss the readings with them?

Anyways, first year is not that representative of university education... They need you (the class) to get the basic notions, to get used to uni studying style, and so on... The style will change during the second and third years.
Reply 25
I have been in uni for a couple of months now and I honestly feel like it is a waste of my time. I have learnt nothing! I have all this work I am struggling to do because apparently its "independent" reading wtf is that? If i wanted to learn on my own I would have sat in my house and bought the books my self. My parents are paying all this money and are essentially buying my degree.

Have you considered taking on an apprenticeship?It's well worth considering.
You are not lumbered with debt at the end of it and you will have obtained a skill that could be sought after by potential employers.:smile:
Reply 26
I understand your frustration, but I don't think you're correct in what you're saying.

Yes, most of the study is independent. Yes, there are few assignments and you don't necessarily get a lot of feedback given to you. However there are tonnes more opportunities that university gives you other than the timetabled hours. I have no idea how much study you are putting in, but if you do the amount of hours that the modules suggest, you will learn a lot. The more you read, the more valuable your tutorials and seminars will be and the more questions you will have. Ask your tutors and lecturers about things that you don't understand. They should be more than happy to get back to you. Query any feedback you get - tutors should be happy to elaborate. Get involved in subject related societies and events and you'll find another use for the information.

My experience is that the people who felt there were too few hours are the same people who really only study their subject during those timetabled hours. I'm not saying that's you, but it definitely applies to a lot of people. It applied to me the first time round.

If you really don't think university is for you, consider leaving. You might find a job to be a lot more fulfilling.
You will discover how you best study and most of your learning will come from your research rather than the lectures. Lecturers only guide you and your course gives you structure, focus, syllabus and perhaps a little motivation to keep going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of what you learn can be done independently. If I was disciplined enough I may have considered the OU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you ever ask the lecturers questions or quiz then on certain things or clarify things you read? If not then you probably are not working to the best of your abilities because these things should arise whilst reading or completing coursework. The lecture time you have, you could be asking questions etc. Or trying to find out about things such as research in an area you were reading up on. In my experience no one asks any questions because they haven't done any reading prior to lectures- or are shy. I remember there was this one girl who used to - always- read up on things and ask questions and even the lecturers were taken aback. So by reading she not only was learning but got a lot of extra skills like critical thinking and analytical skills.

Try and take advantage of the lecturers and use them! But yes I do agree, they do just read from the slide but it is up to you to change that. I d not know how your degree is structured but I can understand that this advice may be impossible to put into practice if you have such few contact hours but you can always email supervisors/ lecturers.
Original post by 'rosie
then please, leave. people like you are why a degree doesn't mean as much as it did before. and why the fees have gone up.

Mickey Mouse Uni's and their Disney Degrees are the reason why degrees don't mean much
Reply 31
Lectures are like that, but i think tutorials/seminars are more like a classroom at A level, its where you can ask questions, discuss things, learn things etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending