The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language help?

I'm predicted all A/A*s for my GCSE subjects including English language (A* probably because of my coursework), but during lessons I seriously doubt how I will perform on the exam. I really don't like the subject and just don't feel very confident with it. I'm okay at English lit (Got A but retaking), but English Lang is the only subject I'm worried about. How can I revise for it/improve?
Mr Bruff on youtube, found him back in year 10 when i was doing literature, he is AMAZING. Seriously, he has a video on everything
Original post by georgie1997
Mr Bruff on youtube, found him back in year 10 when i was doing literature, he is AMAZING. Seriously, he has a video on everything

We already use Mr Bruff's videos in class sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be working :frown: I don't really know what I'm looking for as a lot of the example essays I've read just seem to re-state what the article already says but in a more sophisticate way, meh I don't like english language:mad: Maybe I just need to do more revision and it'll come to me eventually..
Original post by Frannoooooooo
We already use Mr Bruff's videos in class sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be working :frown: I don't really know what I'm looking for as a lot of the example essays I've read just seem to re-state what the article already says but in a more sophisticate way, meh I don't like english language:mad: Maybe I just need to do more revision and it'll come to me eventually..

Hey, I find English Lanuage hard too.
What you need is Structure.

Question 1 is about what you learn.
You need point and evidence, not really an explanation.
You need to embed quotes to score higher marks.
You need to read between the lines.
Give yourself some starter sentences to remember.
Remember, you only have a maximum of 10 minutes to answer this question, and it is so easy to score 8 marks.

Question 2 is about headline and image
How are they effective
Every year, in the mark scheme, there is this:
'The headline is bold to make it stand out'
You can get a mark for it!
Look at the mark scheme, it will really help!

And so on..for the other three questions.

I need help on question four, five and six.

I'm not very good at making up my own stories on the spot.

Good luck!

English Literature:

You need to study the stories in depth.
Evey single page in the play/novel/story you need to annotate because any of those might come up.
You need to be familiar with the story.
Have either a CPG revision guide or York Notes which is very good.
You need to know the History.

Poetry -->
Go through every poem and for each line or each stanza, annotate each line, the key thing about the poems is you need to give interpretations!
That's what your being marked on!

Good luck! :smile:

For the unseen poetry, I'm not very good at it, I still need advise from my teacher.

Ask you teacher, what can I do to get that A*. :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
Hey, I find English Lanuage hard too.
What you need is Structure.

Question 1 is about what you learn.
You need point and evidence, not really an explanation.
You need to embed quotes to score higher marks.
You need to read between the lines.
Give yourself some starter sentences to remember.
Remember, you only have a maximum of 10 minutes to answer this question, and it is so easy to score 8 marks.

Question 2 is about headline and image
How are they effective
Every year, in the mark scheme, there is this:
'The headline is bold to make it stand out'
You can get a mark for it!
Look at the mark scheme, it will really help!

And so on..for the other three questions.

I need help on question four, five and six.

I'm not very good at making up my own stories on the spot.

Good luck!

English Literature:

You need to study the stories in depth.
Evey single page in the play/novel/story you need to annotate because any of those might come up.
You need to be familiar with the story.
Have either a CPG revision guide or York Notes which is very good.
You need to know the History.

Poetry -->
Go through every poem and for each line or each stanza, annotate each line, the key thing about the poems is you need to give interpretations!
That's what your being marked on!

Good luck! :smile:

For the unseen poetry, I'm not very good at it, I still need advise from my teacher.

Ask you teacher, what can I do to get that A*. :smile:

Wow thanks! just what I needed; a clear and structured guide. Hopefully your tips will help me :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending