The Student Room Group

What can I do to get rid of blackheads?

I have a constant problem of blackheads on my nose and just off the nose. Nowhere else, just there. They aren't really visible like some nasty pictures on the Internet, but they are there under the skin. I can't get rid of them, I've used washes, scrubs, my spot stuff, everything. Sounds ridiculous, but as girls don't ever seem to have them, what do you recommend? Or anyone with useful information. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Wut, they're so common in girls!!

Try this, although it may take a few attempts.

Fill up a bowl with BOILING WATER and put your head just above the bowl so the steam can hit your nose. This opens up your pores containing the black heads (be in there for a good amount though, 15-20 mins)

Make sure there is also a towel on your head to reduce the heat escaping.

So after the 20 minutes are up, go to the mirror and squeeze like a pimple, the easy black heads will come, the hard ones may require more steam.
Girls do get them, I have them but managed to get rid of some/make others less visible by this method:

- soak a face towel in warm/hot water then place it over your face to open your pores
- get a blackhead clearing face wash/scrub and gently rub it on the blackheads but for a longer time (few minutes) then wash it off

also try blackhead clearing face masks after you've put the hot towel on your face

They won't go away in 1 go, might take a few times to get them less visible/gone
Reply 3
Try using a bioré nose/chin strip. Peeling them off is weirdly satisfying and it's the only product that has been able to make a difference to my blackheads! I think you can get deep cleansing ones too.
Are you sure they're blackheads and not sebacous fillaments?

http://www.thelovevitamin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/P1091255-300x233.jpg

Either way, exfoliate with a chemical exfoliant (NOT a physical one) like this

http://www.boots.com/en/Nip-Fab-Glycolic-Fix-Exfoliating-Facial-Pads-60s_1285979/
Original post by hvcxxx
Try using a bioré nose/chin strip. Peeling them off is weirdly satisfying and it's the only product that has been able to make a difference to my blackheads! I think you can get deep cleansing ones too.

These are actually really bad for your skin! They're too harsh
Reply 6
all you need is warm water and soap. give it a good scrub few times a day and you'll be fine
Original post by smd4std
all you need is warm water and soap. give it a good scrub few times a day and you'll be fine

DON'T do this OP. Soap is terrible for your skin.
Original post by smd4std

ever heard of castile soap?

It doesn't go on your face, facial skin is much thinner and much more delicate than other skin, putting soap on it dismantles the acid mantle and strips the natural oils, meaning your skin will over produce oils to compensate, giving you really annoying dry yet oily skin at the same time. Don't do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It doesn't go on your face, facial skin is much thinner and much more delicate than other skin, putting soap on it dismantles the acid mantle and strips the natural oils, meaning your skin will over produce oils to compensate, giving you really annoying dry yet oily skin at the same time. Don't do it.

yeah no **** soap gets rid of the beneficial bacteria on the skin. but to get rid of black heads you use castile soap and warm water
Original post by smd4std
yeah no **** soap gets rid of the beneficial bacteria on the skin. but to get rid of black heads you use castile soap and warm water

No you don't, because it's damaging to your skin. You don't damage skin to get rid of blackheads.
Reply 11
I used to have them as well. What I did was use a gentle exfoliating cream to open the pores, then wrap both of your index fingers in toilet paper and literally squeeze out the yellow stuff by pushing the nails of your two index fingers together. You'll see it's working because after one swipe across the nose you should be able to see yellow stuff on the tissue. And then rinse your nose off with water and done, clean empty pores. Try it.
You probably think girls don't have them because they wear make-up. They're very common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squeeze them.

I had a huge on on the inside of my nose. Now that was a problem. I literally just picked at it until it got sore and a scab formed over it. Luckily when the scab fell off it was gone.

That is my blackhead story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
This is what I have been doing since I got the consciousness about taking care of my appearance and started getting blackheads:

1) Keep a check on your eating habits, do you consume sodium rich, processed foods? If you do, minimise it to the bare minimum. Opt for fresh vegetables and fruits, organic are the best and don't discard the peels, use them as a scrub over your face. I know it seems awkward but man, there is a life without all those beauty products sold in the stores, I live that kind of life and never had problems. So the peels or the pulp can be used raw or you can dry them up and crush them to make a powder, a natural scrub. :biggrin:

2) Do you work out? Walk around in fresh air? I do, and not only does it keep my blood circulation running but as soon as I shower after my sports routine, with cold water, not hot since the latter will open your pores more than before (in work out) for the time being to squeeze the the blackheads out but it will also cause dirt to clog up later on. Don't scrub yourself raw, it makes the skin sensitive to breakouts and later on in life, premature wrinkles.
So cold water will eventually wash away the exposed dirt, and mind it's only after sweating not on a normal lazy day.

3) Don't use those nose strips , they not only peel less blackheads but also dry up your nose and reduce the natural oils, sensitivity of the pores increase and you will regret it, blackheads will appear more since the oils from the sebaceous glands will accumulate.

4) People who are telling you that "Boiling" water will help, are wrong. It's helpful for a limited time, later, your skin is more likely to sag and get faster oil accumulation resulting in more black heads and acne since the hot water reduces skin elasticity and water potential. Cold water is the best, I take cold showers, people think I am mad but I am also the one who does not sink to desperate measures.
Luke warm water works too.

5) My mom uses cleansers too, instead of scrubs you can buy cleansing milk and massage it on your face, squeeze the blackheads with gentle tips or a tissue, your hands should be clean, and later wash your face with Cold Water.

6) Don't touch your face often, avoid excessive use of cosmetics, wash your face thoroughly before sleeping and keep yourself clean, you will be happy.

And yes, if you are harsh with your face, scrub a towel roughly, trust me, it's really horrible for the skin. Be gentle, pat dry it and use pure cotton towels.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd use a good quality facial scrub- it might cost you a few extra pounds but it'll be worth it. One of my favourite ones I use right now is called "Garnier skin naturals pure active intensive anti-spot ex-foliating scrub."

It really does cleanse the skin, and has left my pores smaller and my skin feeling waaaay smoother. It contains 2% salicylic acid, which is the active anti bacterial ingredient. Look for products with salicylic acid in and they will help.

If all else fails you can go to your GP. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, and they will prescribe you something to help. Many teenagers go on using over the counter products, but if you seek medical help they will give you something- even in milder acne cases. You don't need to be covered in them to "warrant" a prescription.

And of course make sure you are eating well, getting your five a day etc. Drinking plenty of water help hydrate you too, and keeps you healthy all round, not just your skin.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hellcat12
This is what I have been doing since I got the consciousness about taking care of my appearance and started getting blackheads:

1) Keep a check on your eating habits, do you consume sodium rich, processed foods? If you do, minimise it to the bare minimum. Opt for fresh vegetables and fruits, organic are the best and don't discard the peels, use them as a scrub over your face. I know it seems awkward but man, there is a life without all those beauty products sold in the stores, I live that kind of life and never had problems. So the peels or the pulp can be used raw or you can dry them up and crush them to make a powder, a natural scrub. :biggrin:

2) Do you work out? Walk around in fresh air? I do, and not only does it keep my blood circulation running but as soon as I shower after my sports routine, with cold water, not hot since the latter will open your pores more than before (in work out) for the time being to squeeze the the blackheads out but it will also cause dirt to clog up later on. Don't scrub yourself raw, it makes the skin sensitive to breakouts and later on in life, premature wrinkles.
So cold water will eventually wash away the exposed dirt, and mind it's only after sweating not on a normal lazy day.

3) Don't use those nose strips , they not only peel less blackheads but also dry up your nose and reduce the natural oils, sensitivity of the pores increase and you will regret it, blackheads will appear more since the oils from the sebaceous glands will accumulate.

4) People who are telling you that "Boiling" water will help, are wrong. It's helpful for a limited time, later, your skin is more likely to sag and get faster oil accumulation resulting in more black heads and acne since the hot water reduces skin elasticity and water potential. Cold water is the best, I take cold showers, people think I am mad but I am also the one who does not sink to desperate measures.
Luke warm water works too.

5) My mom uses cleansers too, instead of scrubs you can buy cleansing milk and massage it on your face, squeeze the blackheads with gentle tips or a tissue, your hands should be clean, and later wash your face with Cold Water.

6) Don't touch your face often, avoid excessive use of cosmetics, wash your face thoroughly before sleeping and keep yourself clean, you will be happy.

And yes, if you are harsh with your face, scrub a towel roughly, trust me, it's really horrible for the skin. Be gentle, pat dry it and use pure cotton towels.

Someone who knows :love:
Reply 17
Original post by _Miriam_

And of course make sure you are eating well, getting your five a day etc. Drinking plenty of water help hydrate you too, and keeps you healthy all round, not just your skin.

This too.
Reply 18
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Someone who knows :love:

Got a really beauty conscious mother. :biggrin: But an All-natural one.
Original post by Hellcat12
Got a really beauty conscious mother. :biggrin: But an All-natural one.

Me too :biggrin: Although we use products, but we're very selective about which ones. My mum taught me from since I was a little child to look after my skin.

Latest