The Student Room Group

Is it over for me?

Im in S5 and nearing my exams, have no idea what i want to do when i leave school and have no work experience. my grades are fine (1 B at nat5 6 As) and im predicted to get all As in higher, im hoping to do advanced higher physics, maths and maybe chemistry, my original plan was to go into mechanical engineering but have been told that its not a good degree to have, so im leaning towards healthcare and economics but have nothing to show for either in terms of subjects. Should i stay will my original plan or crash biology and scrap engineering?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by umxr1mran
Im in S5 and nearing my exams, have no idea what i want to do when i leave school and have no work experience. my grades are fine (1 B at nat5 6 As) and im predicted to get all As in higher, im hoping to do advanced higher physics, maths and maybe chemistry, my original plan was to go into mechanical engineering but have been told that its not a good degree to have, so im leaning towards healthcare and economics but have nothing to show for either in terms of subjects. Should i stay will my original plan or crash biology and scrap engineering?

Hi, I'm in S6 and I had essentially the same situation as you with the same grades (N5-AAAAAAB H-AAAAA) and no work experience.

First of all, who told you it's not worth going for? Do they have good evidence/ work in the field? If it's something you're really passionate about then you should do your own research on it before you go down a path you don't actually like.

Secondly, don't worry about having no work experience it isn't the end of the world if you don't have any. The two options you do have (being fortunate to be in S5) is that you can either do a part time job over the summer or focus more on other areas in your personal statement. An admissions officer told me that the long and short of it is that universities care a bit more about the skills you have rather than where the skills came from. That's not to say work experience is bad, just that it isn't a requirement for university.
Reply 2
I have seen on websites like this and have been told by my parents that is can be hard to find a job after getting a degree. But i havent fully given up on it yet, im thinking more about economics. About work experience, i would rather not get a job as it would just be useless in terms of the skills i gain being relevant to the degree, Do you know any programmes or projects i can find to help with my personal statement
Reply 3

Never have I ever heard of work experience being at all necessary to get into University. Work experience starts to matter when you’re in University and you do internships during the summer months, and these will be vital at getting a graduate job at the end of it. As for mechanical engineering, or any type of engineering for that matter, it is perhaps among best degrees you can do in terms of employability. I wouldn't listen to what whoever told you that has to say about career choices from now on. Also your grades are fantastic so don’t worry
I have seen on websites like this and have been told by my parents that is can be hard to find a job after getting a degree. But i havent fully given up on it yet, im thinking more about economics. About work experience, i would rather not get a job as it would just be useless in terms of the skills i gain being relevant to the degree, Do you know any programmes or projects i can find to help with my personal statement

Agree with what the person above says, engineering degrees are very useful!
As for programmes to join, Duke of Edinburgh is always a good start and if you actually do the three sections then you will have plenty to talk about in your PS/CV/CL. The Queens Badge with the Boy's Brigade is good too and links in with DofE however you would be too late to start it by this point. The Scouts probably also have an award like this so it would be worth looking into it.
General volunteering is good as well as it shows that you can commit to something without any monetary gain, same with sports teams, clubs, etc.
Commitment is a really good thing to exemplify on your PS.
Reply 5
Original post by tree_of_oak
Agree with what the person above says, engineering degrees are very useful!
As for programmes to join, Duke of Edinburgh is always a good start and if you actually do the three sections then you will have plenty to talk about in your PS/CV/CL. The Queens Badge with the Boy's Brigade is good too and links in with DofE however you would be too late to start it by this point. The Scouts probably also have an award like this so it would be worth looking into it.
General volunteering is good as well as it shows that you can commit to something without any monetary gain, same with sports teams, clubs, etc.
Commitment is a really good thing to exemplify on your PS.

^^
Reply 6
Who told you that mech eng is not a good degree to have?
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Who told you that mech eng is not a good degree to have?

This thread and many others discouraged me but i havent got rid of the idea yet https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438220
Reply 8
Original post by Pedro69
Never have I ever heard of work experience being at all necessary to get into University. Work experience starts to matter when you’re in University and you do internships during the summer months, and these will be vital at getting a graduate job at the end of it. As for mechanical engineering, or any type of engineering for that matter, it is perhaps among best degrees you can do in terms of employability. I wouldn't listen to what whoever told you that has to say about career choices from now on. Also your grades are fantastic so don’t worry

This thread and many others discouraged me but i havent got rid of the idea yet https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438220
Reply 9

Well - engineering tends to have relatively high graduate salaries and the skills learned give a lot of broader opportunities. What else have you considered?
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
Well - engineering tends to have relatively high graduate salaries and the skills learned give a lot of broader opportunities. What else have you considered?

Dentistry would be ideal, but probably wont get accepted. Economics is more realistic for me and i would enjoy it more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending