The Student Room Group

Edexcel French A2 2014

Hi everyone!
I'm taking the Edexcel French A2 2014 exam this june and I was wondering If anyone had any notes etc. for topics that could come up in the discursive essay! I'm looking through the book now and I'm soo lost!
I'm doing my research essay on a geographical place too, anyone else who has some advice witht his type of question!?
Any help would be really appreciated!! Thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hey, how's the revision going? I know it's a little bit too late now it's only two days left until the exam but I'm doing geography too and it's quite hard to memorise it all :frown: I really hope nothing crazy comes up on this.

As for the discursive, I think the only way is to go through the book and the topics inside, I'm freaking out more about RBE more for some reason :frown:
Reply 3
How did your french go? I did discursive (social networks) and the research based essay on aspect of modern france (2005 riots/ social exclusion)... questions seemed quite alright and the translation wasn't too tricky, although i didn't know words like wind, torrential rain etc., defo not hoping for more than half marks for that, although that is the average anyway! Hoping for a B :smile:
Reply 4
How'd people find this one? Translation was awful :/
Reply 5
Original post by NA124
How'd people find this one? Translation was awful :/

I thought the questions were alright but the translation was so mean! I didn't know the vocab about the weather types, except drought. I did the crime discursive and the arts and literature essays (based on "La Rafle" that we did in class)
Reply 6
Original post by SGiles
I thought the questions were alright but the translation was so mean! I didn't know the vocab about the weather types, except drought. I did the crime discursive and the arts and literature essays (based on "La Rafle" that we did in class)

I know! Translation seemed so difficult not confident about that at all.. What sort of things did you put for the crime discursive?
Reply 7
Hey guys
Thought it was an alright paper on balance
Does anyone recall the precise wording of history RBE?
ta
Reply 8
Original post by NA124
I know! Translation seemed so difficult not confident about that at all.. What sort of things did you put for the crime discursive?

I said it was the only way because reintroducing the death penalty would strike fear enough to stop people committing crime, and that we need to have severe punishments because punishments like community service aren't enough to discipline young people.
Then I said that rehabilitation was another way of stopping crime because it encourages people not to recommit crime and to instead become a part of the community. And that the government should improve the conditions that children grow up in because there's a clear link between a destitute childhood and criminality in alter life.
Then as like a conclusion I said that rehabilitation can change even the worst of criminals and that the punishment should fit the crime rather than being unnecessarily severe.

Did you do that question too? What did you write? :smile:
Anyone do the aid discursive? What did you say?
Reply 10
Original post by Burgoyne
Hey guys
Thought it was an alright paper on balance
Does anyone recall the precise wording of history RBE?
ta

Something like décrivez un développement pendant la période que vous avez étudiée qui a été le plus difficile ou le plus facile à accepter pour la population. Justifiez votre réponse.

No idea what développement is supposed to refer to? I put Occupation (did ww2) and points about economy, lack of navy/big army, collaboration and reference all dates in 1940 at start of the Occupation..... Is that a development? :s-smilie:
Hey guys, so I sat this exam and I left feeling okay about it until I realised that I had forgotten to write my bibliography at the end of my literature and arts research based essay!!! How many marks am I likely to lose for this? I'm really stressed as I'm scared I have lost myself a lot of marks because although it's a little thing, I feel like it's probably quite important for showing the examiner that you have done research and that you have a broad understanding of your subject. Anyone got any idea? :frown: Or is it really not that important? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CarolineVictoria
Hey guys, so I sat this exam and I left feeling okay about it until I realised that I had forgotten to write my bibliography at the end of my literature and arts research based essay!!! How many marks am I likely to lose for this? I'm really stressed as I'm scared I have lost myself a lot of marks because although it's a little thing, I feel like it's probably quite important for showing the examiner that you have done research and that you have a broad understanding of your subject. Anyone got any idea? :frown: Or is it really not that important? :confused:

The footnotes or as you call it bibliography is the least important for the arts question because in referring to a scene or something that happens you're showing knowledge. The more detail you include the better. Bibliography what would you write? I'm also told that when the spec first came out they were more popular. Now they are by noo means a necessity! Don't worry all is good x
Original post by ladygaga2580
The footnotes or as you call it bibliography is the least important for the arts question because in referring to a scene or something that happens you're showing knowledge. The more detail you include the better. Bibliography what would you write? I'm also told that when the spec first came out they were more popular. Now they are by noo means a necessity! Don't worry all is good x

Oh yay! You have seriously put my mind at ease, that's a good point about the 'showing your knowledge through referring to a scene' thing, thank you so much! :smile: I was told by my teacher to just learn three sources and to write them as the bibliography because it was important to have one, so then when I realised I'd forgotten it I panicked and started googling the mark schemes and such but I couldn't find anything that explained about the footnotes particularly well! So again, thank you very much for answering, you really have helped me to relax!! Now just hoping I included enough detail Did you sit the exam too? x
Oh yay! You have seriously put my mind at ease, that's a good point about the 'showing your knowledge through referring to a scene' thing, thank you so much! :smile: I was told by my teacher to just learn three sources and to write them as the bibliography because it was important to have one, so then when I realised I'd forgotten it I panicked and started googling the mark schemes and such but I couldn't find anything that explained about the footnotes particularly well! So again, thank you very much for answering, you really have helped me to relax!! Now just hoping I included enough detail Did you sit the exam too? x

And i know the reason why the wxam board changed their mind on it. Because they were having so many footnotes which just sais wikipeida! Yeah I did! The translation to start wasn't the best. But then again it wasn't horrific towards the end! Discrivsive went okay and I think my film essay did too how about you?

If it makes you feel any better I didn't write a bibliography and still got an A*. Never even knew you had to do one...
Reply 16
Original post by SGiles
I said it was the only way because reintroducing the death penalty would strike fear enough to stop people committing crime, and that we need to have severe punishments because punishments like community service aren't enough to discipline young people.
Then I said that rehabilitation was another way of stopping crime because it encourages people not to recommit crime and to instead become a part of the community. And that the government should improve the conditions that children grow up in because there's a clear link between a destitute childhood and criminality in alter life.
Then as like a conclusion I said that rehabilitation can change even the worst of criminals and that the punishment should fit the crime rather than being unnecessarily severe.

Did you do that question too? What did you write? :smile:

Sounds good how did you manage to fit that into the word limit? I did similar to you but concluded saying that in some cases, they are justified. Think I made quite a few silly grammatical errors though :/
The discursive essay that i chose was that of "as long as western countries have problems we should not provide aid abroad"

i wrote first for intro we have just spent 40 million pounds in foreign aid. Certaines personnes ont dit que cet argent aurait pu être mieux dépensé pour résoudre nos propre problèmes. Are they right. Telle est la question!

No. We have like relative poverty no one suffers from lack of water and medicines. We have given money to Africa to end poverty and we have saved peuple who would have died if we had not helped them. Since 1957 Britain has tried to assure the end of poverty in Africa for humanity reasons.

Other side. We shouldn't throw money out the widow. Many British people live under the poverty line. Also in 2008 Britain had the recession which shows that we simply don't have the money needed to support the poorer countries. Why should we have austerity which has caused unemployment, when other countries with fast economic growth in Asia waste our money with corrupt their governments.

In conclusion I RETURN TO AFFIRMATION and although there are some strong arguments I think we needto put an end to our own problems and therefore must stop this aid.
Deleted
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by NA124
Sounds good how did you manage to fit that into the word limit? I did similar to you but concluded saying that in some cases, they are justified. Think I made quite a few silly grammatical errors though :/

By being really strict with what I was writing, aha! Because there's so much time in the exam, I wrote the essay how I wanted it and then worked through it taking out unnecessary bits. Then I crossed the whole thing out and rewrote it so it was within the word limit and tweaked it a bit again :smile:
I'm sure the grammar's fine! I just find, because of the amount of time we're given, that I check through my essay's so many times that I start doubting myself, like I wanted to put une vie plein de malheur but then I started doubting whether malheur had an 'e' on the end or not, so I changed what I was saying a bit and put misère instead, ahah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending