The Student Room Group

Female Contemporary Monologue Suggestions?

Hi guys - first post and I'm rather nervous!

I've got a few drama auditions coming up, including the National Youth Theatre and have been struggling with finding a contemporary female monologue for my age (18).

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of plays or monologues I could read up on? I have found a couple myself but not quite connected to them!

Thanks again guys (hope I chose the right sub-forum!)

xx
Reply 1
Original post by BrunchAtTiffanys
Hi guys - first post and I'm rather nervous!

I've got a few drama auditions coming up, including the National Youth Theatre and have been struggling with finding a contemporary female monologue for my age (18).

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of plays or monologues I could read up on? I have found a couple myself but not quite connected to them!

Thanks again guys (hope I chose the right sub-forum!)

xx

For my nyt audition I'm going to do a monologue from the Diary of Anne Frank, which has a lot of great monologues in, and they're not all performed by Anne, which may be a bit young for you. However, if you don't mind portraying a younger character, Anne is 15, so not too bad.

Do you want a comedic or dramatic monologue? If youve not already looked at these websites, both stageagent.com and actorama.com have a wide variety of monologues that you could use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meemily
For my nyt audition I'm going to do a monologue from the Diary of Anne Frank, which has a lot of great monologues in, and they're not all performed by Anne, which may be a bit young for you. However, if you don't mind portraying a younger character, Anne is 15, so not too bad.

Do you want a comedic or dramatic monologue? If youve not already looked at these websites, both stageagent.com and actorama.com have a wide variety of monologues that you could use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, thanks for those website links, I'm definitely going to take a look! I;'m looking at comedic monologues at the moment, as I've been doing a lot of dramatic reading lately and want to take a bit of a break!

Thanks again xx
Wow, thanks for those website links, I'm definitely going to take a look! I;'m looking at comedic monologues at the moment, as I've been doing a lot of dramatic reading lately and want to take a bit of a break!

Thanks again xx

Do you have to do a monologue? Spoken word poetry is the most bad ass thing.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Do you have to do a monologue? Spoken word poetry is the most bad ass thing.

I believe so, in the e-mail I received confirming my audition the guidelines say "Acting applicants should prepare a speech from any published play of your choice, either contemporary or classical."

You're right though, spoken word poetry is amazing, though! x
I believe so, in the e-mail I received confirming my audition the guidelines say "Acting applicants should prepare a speech from any published play of your choice, either contemporary or classical."

You're right though, spoken word poetry is amazing, though! x

Oh okay, just thought I'd ask. Hmm. Whatever you do, don't go with Lady Macbeth, it's so stereotypical.

Love it love it love it :biggrin:
Reply 6

Thanks again xx

No problem :smile: When is your nyt audition?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meemily
No problem :smile: When is your nyt audition?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mine the week of the 17th of Feb, when is yours? I'm really looking forward to my audition :smile:

Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I have mine the week of the 17th of Feb, when is yours? I'm really looking forward to my audition :smile:

Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!!! I can't wait! Mines on the 18th February in Manchester. I think that even if I don't get in the audition will have been an amazing experience anyway and there's always next year :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest