The Student Room Group

Drama School Monologues - Should I play a character that is not my gender?

Hi, I’m currently auditioning for drama schools and whilst most say playing a character that doesn’t align with your own gender is allowed- However I had a friend tell me I shouldn’t as they had, had a bad experience doing so -

I want to perform a monologue as Nick Bottom from A Midsummer Night’s Dream but now I’m not sure.

Thanks in advance for any answers :smile:
Reply 1
I'm sure they wouldn't say that they're easy about students playing with gender if they didn't mean it. In fact, it might just make a familiar monologue that much more interesting to them. I hear that they are more beady about students performing monologues way outside of their age and experience.
Original post by StinkyGrl
Hi, I’m currently auditioning for drama schools and whilst most say playing a character that doesn’t align with your own gender is allowed- However I had a friend tell me I shouldn’t as they had, had a bad experience doing so -

I want to perform a monologue as Nick Bottom from A Midsummer Night’s Dream but now I’m not sure.

Thanks in advance for any answers :smile:

Hi there! I’m a third year actor-musician at GSA.

I cannot speak for all drama schools, however at least for GSA there are no restrictions for what gender you are playing in your audition monologue - they want you to play a character you feel comfortable and confident playing! They do advise for the character to be fairly close to your own playing age, but regarding gender they are very open to whatever you want to show and offer as an actor!

Hope this help, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending