The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Man like Hazard doing the ting too. Will watch the full match once I'm out of this wretched library. #Revision.

Good Evening.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts regarding next weeks fixture at Stamford Bridge. Presumably given how bad Manchester United are, you'll be expecting a comfortable win?
Reply 81
Original post by dan94adibi
Need a striker.
Don't understand why we would need another midfielder.
Our CM/DM isn't good enough; Lampard is aging, MVG is an unknown, young, and been injured all season, Essien is past it and Luiz playing there leaves us short at CB. Ramires and Mikel are okay, but not really good enough - they wouldn't start for City/Arsenal/Bayern/Madrid etc.

A top striker would probably have a bigger immediate impact but there's literally no one available.
I reckon we need a striker who can play deeper.. like Rooney.
Odds of Matic joining us in January are 1/3. I'm guessing there's something we don't know going on behind the scenes that might be engineering a move to us.
Reply 84
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Odds of Matic joining us in January are 1/3. I'm guessing there's something we don't know going on behind the scenes that might be engineering a move to us.
Yeah loads of talk about it from supposed ITKs.

https://twitter.com/joao_ruela/status/422346482549669888
Matic will play against FC Porto today, but shall join Chelsea after it. #Benfica #classico

Supposedly this guy is pretty reliable and in the know when it comes to the Portuguese league, don't quote me on it though :tongue:. Tuesday is being thrown around as a possible day for him joining us.
Reply 85
How good is he? What midfielders in the league currently would you say he's on the level of
Reply 86
Original post by baconbutty
How good is he? What midfielders in the league currently would you say he's on the level of
We exchanged him + cash for David Luiz a few years back. He's been compared to Yaya Toure due to his physical presence (he's 6ft 4), but probably not quite on his level yet, but at 25 he has plenty of time to improve. Good workrate, passing (not Pirlo/Alonso esque but he can pick a pass), tackling and he's very athletic. Him and Ramires would be a fantastic combination. This article is quite a good look at him (I've essentially just summarised it :tongue:).
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm quite excited for this if it does occur; we'll finally have a physical presence in our midfield and a DM who isn't so limited :sogood:
Reply 88
Original post by The Assassin
I'm quite excited for this if it does occur; we'll finally have a physical presence in our midfield and a DM who isn't so limited :sogood:

The funny thing is that we had him but let him go :lol:
Original post by UnWise
The funny thing is that we had him but let him go :lol:

Yeah, it makes us look like right twonks.
Reply 90
Meh, we've done this for all the positions that actually needed filling, buying 50m for Torres while Sturridge was getting goals week in week out for Bolton, then we're doing the exact same thing with Lukaku. Didn't know too much about Matic bar FM, was a beast but then again Jonjo Shelvey was the best midfielder in the game by far for my side.

At least Torres is scoring goals, no doubt he'll go back to being anonymous though, :rolleyes:

One problem solved with Matic though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hopefully we sell KDB for 18m, then Essien for 5m, and that should cover the cost for Nemanja
Reply 92
Original post by The Assassin
Hopefully we sell KDB for 18m, then Essien for 5m, and that should cover the cost for Nemanja

What's KDB done to warrant more than 8m?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't heard of this matic guy but hope he's as good as we're making him out to be!

We need to be buying our previous players back :lol:
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno. Was a beast in the Bundesliga I guess. Wolfsburg are willing to pay that much as well so...

Who the **** repped this comment?
Reply 95
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

His season in germany, and being bought for 6m, he'll be at least double that price tbh.
Reply 96
Original post by bammy jastard 27
His season in germany, and being bought for 6m, he'll be at least double that price tbh.

Those are history though. He's regressed since as he hasn't played much at all. Market value incredibly impacted. If he's worth 18m lord help us all.

Same to you assassin, can't double quote. Sauce for Wolfsburg paying 18m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by 419
Those are history though. He's regressed since as he hasn't played much at all. Market value incredibly impacted. If he's worth 18m lord help us all.

Same to you assassin, can't double quote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not severely, he'll still be worth 12m.

18m unlikely, although hearing that Wolfsburg are willing to pay that much.
Yeah, some players do very little to warrant their prices but if the club is willing to pay that much then it's fair tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 99
Apparently he's the fittest he's ever been in his life, and he's hardly had a chance to prove himself here, but he definitely proved himself in the Bundesliga. 18m for someone of his obvious talent is pretty fair in January.

Latest