The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

AUB entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Thanks loads, ben! :biggrin: Did that, and I guess we'll see what happens in June! :P By the way, do you happen to know much about the Illustration course in AUB? I read up on the course outline and structure, but it'll be great to know students' opinions~

Original post by ben jammin
Hi Sue Anne :smile:
Congrats :biggrin:

You can apply for accommodation now. If you sign in to your MyApplication account and go to the bottom of the page you'll see a big box for accommodation applications. You don't need unconditional to apply and you have until May to apply for Halls. The University should get back to you in June about saying whether you got a place in Halls or not.

That's what it's like for UK applicants anyway so I presume it's the same for international too. If not then I suggest contacting AUB as they'll know more than me :tongue:

Hope it helps :smile:

Yeah it was fun seeing the lecturers. They all seem really nice too which is awesome :biggrin:

That’s ok :smile: I was studying Physics up at Exeter, but I was only there for one term. I’d always wanted to go into animation but got convinced to follow a more scientific route. Took me a while to realise that I should’ve just followed my passions in the first place and gone for animation. Better to risk it and go for what you really want to do rather than the safe option and spend your life regretting it :tongue: I wouldn’t say it was all a waste of time though. It definitely helped me mature, get a feel for Uni and realise what I want to do in life.

Yeah both options are good :smile: I’m not trying to convince you private is better it’s just what I want to do having already been in halls. People will definitely be going to the clubs from Madeira but you won’t necessarily have flat mates who will be. At Exeter when you applied for halls they had a questionnaire you filled in so they could try and match people with shared interests which worked quite well. Our flat went clubbing every now and then but some people from the flat next door pretty much went every night :tongue: In the end though you’ll meet people from other flats, societies and the course itself and you’ll be in private for 2nd year.

Ah ok :smile: I didn’t do any life drawing until the short courses really. I believe I had the chance to do it with the school occasionally but I never gave it much thought. I was quite immature back then :tongue: The short courses have been excellent though and I’ve been using books and the internet a lot.
I found these sites really helpful if anyone’s interested:
Great youtube channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV
Photo reference sites where you can time how long the photo is up etc-
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
http://reference.sketchdaily.net/

Nice :biggrin: I knew you did life drawing in the course but wasn't sure how much. The studio is great. I’ve only been in it with around 10 other people but there’s loads of space left over so 40 odd should fit pretty well. The short course tutor, Tom, is really good too and I think he is a guest lecturer for first year life drawing lessons so you’ll meet him at some point probably.

Awesome :biggrin: I’ve not used Flash before. I did a lot with Pivot and Drawplus when I was younger and more recently tried learning Blender but haven’t had much time to devote to it. What’s the story about?

Modelmaking was really fun. It was a 10 week course and we started off looking at different types of modelmaking and exploring various techniques before deciding what we wanted to do for a final piece. We did architectural modelmaking, moulding and casting as well as sculpture. Architectural was ok but I wasn’t too much of a fan of the precise measurements and straight lines :tongue: Sculpture was awesome. We used sculpey which is clay that you can easily mould and remould without it hardening until you bake it in the oven. We started off making a simple human, doing a wire skeleton first to build around, before having a choice of what we wanted to make from a selection of photos of different characters. We could also print our own photos if we wanted to do something specific. I decided to make the character Axe from the DOTA 2 game :smile: For moulding and casting we started off making a simple design for a mass production piece and then used techniques from the earlier lessons. We built our designs out of sculpey and made a box to put them in which we then filled with a liquid which hardened, creating the mould. We then filled the moulds with a liquid plastic which hardened pretty quickly creating a cast of our initial design. You could add colours to the plastic as you put it in too to make them multicoloured and things. After that we had the chance to make a more complex design to then mould. I collect Lord of the Rings warhammer and decided to make a scale version of Weathertop for my more complex design and seeing that it had lots of similar, for lack of a better word, pillars that made up most of the structure moulding and casting seemed like a cool and easy way to build it. For my final piece I decided to make a bust of The Iron Giant from the film of the same name. I started by planning out the shapes and separate parts to build it and then carved it out of polystyrene foam. I then planned on painting it with a metal resin.
I still have to finish all of the models. I spent too much time planning and choosing complex designs to get them all done during the course :tongue: I also decided to focus on drawing and getting my portfolio ready for my interview. Hopefully should have more time to finish them now. I'd definitely recommend the short course overall :biggrin:

Oh god this post is really long :tongue:

If anyone got to the end here’s some general questions to get people talking :smile:

Are there any particular societies you’re planning on joining?
What made you choose AUB and the subject itself?
Do you have any plans on what career you want to do after the course?

And now for some questions aimed more at the Animation students but feel free to answer them too :biggrin:
What are your favourite...?
Animated films
Animated tv shows
Animated shorts
& AUB animations (here’s the vimeo channel I believe there are more on the DVD they were giving out on the open day)

I’ll answer them myself later as I’m tired now after writing all this out :tongue:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by sue911
Thanks loads, ben! :biggrin: Did that, and I guess we'll see what happens in June! :P By the way, do you happen to know much about the Illustration course in AUB? I read up on the course outline and structure, but it'll be great to know students' opinions~

Hi :smile:
I don't know much about the illustration course myself but the facilities look really good and the course itself has a good reputation. The Illustration page on the AUB site is a good way to get an idea of the course and also see graduate success to get an idea of what people are doing afterwards.

This site shows you some stats about the course. It's not individual student opinions but does give you a general idea about the course http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10000385FT-BAILL
90% of students are satisified with the course which is pretty good :biggrin:

This video has some student opinions/ experiences of the course in it too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbsA6fFkEN0

Hope it helps :smile:
Hello, lovely people!
I am over the moon to say that I have firmly accepted my offer for the Photography (BA) course beginning this September at AUB. I'm very excited, but I'm also, understandably, nervous. I'm actually from Newcastle, and currently live up here in the North East, so moving to Bournemouth is a huge move for me. I'm planning on (hopefully) moving into the Madeira Halls in the centre of Bournemouth; my backup choice is Winton.

I'm just wondering when people are planning on moving down/into Bournemouth? Apparently, the Photography (BA) course begins around the 24-26th September, but I've heard from a friend that Freshers week begins before that? Does anyone have any advice on when is the best time to move into halls, and any information about Freshers week?
It would be lovely to hear from some of you who are either hoping to study on the same course, or simply at the same university!
x
Original post by Sarah-Jean
Hello, lovely people!
I am over the moon to say that I have firmly accepted my offer for the Photography (BA) course beginning this September at AUB. I'm very excited, but I'm also, understandably, nervous. I'm actually from Newcastle, and currently live up here in the North East, so moving to Bournemouth is a huge move for me. I'm planning on (hopefully) moving into the Madeira Halls in the centre of Bournemouth; my backup choice is Winton.

I'm just wondering when people are planning on moving down/into Bournemouth? Apparently, the Photography (BA) course begins around the 24-26th September, but I've heard from a friend that Freshers week begins before that? Does anyone have any advice on when is the best time to move into halls, and any information about Freshers week?
It would be lovely to hear from some of you who are either hoping to study on the same course, or simply at the same university!
x

Hi Sarah :smile:

Congrats on the offer :biggrin:
That's a pretty long way to come. Bournemouth's really nice though. I only live about 30 mins away myself so I'm not moving very far :tongue: I've never been to Newcastle so I can't say how much it differs. Have you been to Bournemouth much?

There’s a page about term dates on the AUB site which says about an induction week on the 22nd and then the courses starting on the 29th. I’m not sure if the 29th is for all courses or if it varies. The induction week is just freshers but there are also some activities you need to go to such as a welcome talk, library induction, enrolment, IT protocols etc. Before that though I believe there is another week of freshers. At least it was in 2013 , so it might be the same again this year meaning we could arrive on the 15th.

I’m most likely going to move in at the start of freshers or when other people start moving in, whichever is soonest. I’d recommend moving in as early as possible since everyone will be nervous and getting to know each other at the same time that way. Rather than arriving and finding everyone already knows each other. I know you can’t move into halls until a certain date but I’m unsure about private accommodation. I’m guessing we have to move in before the induction week starts, but when is up to you. We’ll get emailed more details around June about a move in date for halls and then course/ induction week details later on.

As for freshers week itself it gives you a chance to get to know people/ the area and have fun basically. There are normally lots of events on and things to do, but some you’ll need to pre-buy tickets for. They also have the fresher fayre which is a two day event where there are loads of stalls with people talking about clubs/ societies or things in the area. There’ll be a lot of freebies to pick up too :smile: I’d definitely recommend looking out for the dominoes/ weatherspoons vouchers :biggrin: I think there will be taster sessions for Clubs/ societies running throughout freshers as well which'll give you a chance to see what you want to join.

There's some info on the student union site about 2013 freshers and I guess it'll be more or less the same this year :smile:
Reply 104
I attended an interview for BA Fashion yesterday and within an hour of meeting one of the most amazing Course tutors ever, got a conditional offer for the course. I'm so happy, i went into UCAS extra and after being rejected from Bham City uni, was going to give up on uni this year if I didnt get in to AUB.

I'm from Wolverhampton so the train journey is 1 i will rarely do but I loved Bournemouth, it was the first time I ever went and the people were so friendly. I'm so happy to have got in there, I hope to see you wonderful people there soon.
Reply 105
Hello everyone,
I just found TSR and I'm very glad I did! Though reading through all of these posts, I feel like I'm the only one going there for Architecture D: but it'll be great to see some of you guys there! Since I'm an international, I have to be there by September 15th for orientation :P I'm sure it'll be fun though!
Original post by Indiestreet
Hey guys

I got an offer for foundation and going this Sep as well, hope to see some of you around :smile:

Hey that's pretty cool! I'm doing Foundation too; what are you hoping to specialize in? (:
Original post by GatsbyTheory
Hey that's pretty cool! I'm doing Foundation too; what are you hoping to specialize in? (:

Hey it's great to find someone on the same course here XD

I'm definitely gonna go for 3D design pathway wtu ? I'm Pont btw nice to meet you :smile:))
Hey it's great to find someone on the same course here XD

I'm definitely gonna go for 3D design pathway wtu ? I'm Pont btw nice to meet you :smile:))

Same! Most people seem to be going straight into BAs! Aha, lucky that you've decided, I'm struggling between Illustration and Animation at the moment. I can't choose! Nice to meet you too! You may call me Neech c:
Original post by GatsbyTheory
Same! Most people seem to be going straight into BAs! Aha, lucky that you've decided, I'm struggling between Illustration and Animation at the moment. I can't choose! Nice to meet you too! You may call me Neech c:

I'm so glad that I decided to do foundation tho, because with my current portfolio, it's really graphics and 3D based so it's good to have another year building portfolio and gain work experience in relevent field XD
I'm so glad that I decided to do foundation tho, because with my current portfolio, it's really graphics and 3D based so it's good to have another year building portfolio and gain work experience in relevent field XD

Yeah, exactly! That's why I think the foundation is pretty vital for me; I didn't even do Art at GCSE level, so despite having these last two years at A Level, I don't feel I'm ready to go into a full degree yet. I think I need to develop a lot of skills first, and improve my portfolio a hell of a lot!
Original post by Icy-S
Hello everyone,
I just found TSR and I'm very glad I did! Though reading through all of these posts, I feel like I'm the only one going there for Architecture D: but it'll be great to see some of you guys there! Since I'm an international, I have to be there by September 15th for orientation :P I'm sure it'll be fun though!

Congratulations on getting your offer!
I can assure you, there will be many lovely people doing Architecture, but you're bound to see some of us too! The campus is wonderful because it isn't huge. Where are you coming from? Do you have a long journey?
I'm not traveling internationally but I'm coming from the very North of England so I'm going to be travelling down around the 12th September!x
Original post by savhannah
I attended an interview for BA Fashion yesterday and within an hour of meeting one of the most amazing Course tutors ever, got a conditional offer for the course. I'm so happy, i went into UCAS extra and after being rejected from Bham City uni, was going to give up on uni this year if I didnt get in to AUB.

I'm from Wolverhampton so the train journey is 1 i will rarely do but I loved Bournemouth, it was the first time I ever went and the people were so friendly. I'm so happy to have got in there, I hope to see you wonderful people there soon.

I had the same experience when I went for my interview! I met the most amazing head lecturer (Photography BA), and less than two hours after my interview I received my offer. I couldn't believe it! Especially as I exchanged numbers with another person who was there for an interview, and they didn't hear anything for weeks after! I knew as soon as I saw the facilities and met that amazing man of a lecturer, that I couldn't pass up Bournemouth.
I'll very rarely be travelling home, too! Bournemouth to Newcastle is a rather long journey. Bournemouth is so beautiful, isn't it? I really can't wait to be down there. I'm counting down the days!
I hope to see you down there!x
Original post by ben jammin
Hi Sarah :smile:

Congrats on the offer :biggrin:
That's a pretty long way to come. Bournemouth's really nice though. I only live about 30 mins away myself so I'm not moving very far :tongue: I've never been to Newcastle so I can't say how much it differs. Have you been to Bournemouth much?

There’s a page about term dates on the AUB site which says about an induction week on the 22nd and then the courses starting on the 29th. I’m not sure if the 29th is for all courses or if it varies. The induction week is just freshers but there are also some activities you need to go to such as a welcome talk, library induction, enrolment, IT protocols etc. Before that though I believe there is another week of freshers. At least it was in 2013 , so it might be the same again this year meaning we could arrive on the 15th.

I’m most likely going to move in at the start of freshers or when other people start moving in, whichever is soonest. I’d recommend moving in as early as possible since everyone will be nervous and getting to know each other at the same time that way. Rather than arriving and finding everyone already knows each other. I know you can’t move into halls until a certain date but I’m unsure about private accommodation. I’m guessing we have to move in before the induction week starts, but when is up to you. We’ll get emailed more details around June about a move in date for halls and then course/ induction week details later on.

As for freshers week itself it gives you a chance to get to know people/ the area and have fun basically. There are normally lots of events on and things to do, but some you’ll need to pre-buy tickets for. They also have the fresher fayre which is a two day event where there are loads of stalls with people talking about clubs/ societies or things in the area. There’ll be a lot of freebies to pick up too :smile: I’d definitely recommend looking out for the dominoes/ weatherspoons vouchers :biggrin: I think there will be taster sessions for Clubs/ societies running throughout freshers as well which'll give you a chance to see what you want to join.

There's some info on the student union site about 2013 freshers and I guess it'll be more or less the same this year :smile:

Hey, Ben!
Thank-you for such a lengthy reply. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - life is so busy right now because of my Final Major project! It's nice to meet you :smile:
I've only been to Bournemouth once, and that was when I travelled down for my interview, but I fell in love with the place. Especially the beach… I surf a lot so the beach was a rather large component when deciding upon Uni (haha, yes, I know that's bad!!). But my heart was set on AUB as soon as I met the head lecturer of my (soon-to-be!) course, and saw the facilities. The campus is just lovely too.
I agree with you on moving in as soon as possible! It's going to be easiest for me to travel down on a Friday (seeing as it involves both my parents driving down), so I'm thinking the 12th September. Then that gives me the weekend to sort my room out, meet a few people, and then get ready for Freshers, assuming it does start around the week of the 15th. I'm definitely moving into halls, so, I don't want to move in to early or too late! I'm sure more information will be posted soon, after we all know what accommodation we've got!
Thank-you for such a detailed reply! I hope to see you down there x
Hey, Ben!
Thank-you for such a lengthy reply. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - life is so busy right now because of my Final Major project! It's nice to meet you :smile:
I've only been to Bournemouth once, and that was when I travelled down for my interview, but I fell in love with the place. Especially the beach… I surf a lot so the beach was a rather large component when deciding upon Uni (haha, yes, I know that's bad!!). But my heart was set on AUB as soon as I met the head lecturer of my (soon-to-be!) course, and saw the facilities. The campus is just lovely too.
I agree with you on moving in as soon as possible! It's going to be easiest for me to travel down on a Friday (seeing as it involves both my parents driving down), so I'm thinking the 12th September. Then that gives me the weekend to sort my room out, meet a few people, and then get ready for Freshers, assuming it does start around the week of the 15th. I'm definitely moving into halls, so, I don't want to move in to early or too late! I'm sure more information will be posted soon, after we all know what accommodation we've got!
Thank-you for such a detailed reply! I hope to see you down there x

That's ok :smile: Good luck with the project! What are you doing for it?
Yeah the beach is nice down at Bournemouth. I think the AUB actually has a surf society, which is pretty good. Being in an area you enjoy is an important factor :biggrin: Bournemouth is close to the New Forest and the beach so is great for me, but it was mainly the Unis themselves that drew me to it.
Yeah I'm not sure when freshers will definitely start but we should get emailed info about it at some point.
Same :smile:
I had the same experience when I went for my interview! I met the most amazing head lecturer (Photography BA), and less than two hours after my interview I received my offer. I couldn't believe it! Especially as I exchanged numbers with another person who was there for an interview, and they didn't hear anything for weeks after! I knew as soon as I saw the facilities and met that amazing man of a lecturer, that I couldn't pass up Bournemouth.
I'll very rarely be travelling home, too! Bournemouth to Newcastle is a rather long journey. Bournemouth is so beautiful, isn't it? I really can't wait to be down there. I'm counting down the days!
I hope to see you down there!x

It's true I hope to see you too !!! Where have you thought about staying?

I was wondering actually in photography can you borrow cameras?
It's true I hope to see you too !!! Where have you thought about staying?

I was wondering actually in photography can you borrow cameras?

Do you mean where will I be living? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm going to get into Madeira Halls! If not, hopefully Winton.

You can, yes. There is an insane amount of equipment that you can borrow for Photography!x
Do you mean where will I be living? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm going to get into Madeira Halls! If not, hopefully Winton.

You can, yes. There is an insane amount of equipment that you can borrow for Photography!x

That's what I put down too,

I do photography now at sixth form and I don't wanna buy my own camera :frown:
https://www.facebook.com/AUBSUfreshers

Thought I would put the link of the 2014 freshers page on here :smile:
That's what I put down too,

I do photography now at sixth form and I don't wanna buy my own camera :frown:

I know it seems expensive, but, you're definitely better off buying your own camera! I just know that the camera priorities go to photography students, so, there may be trouble getting it out if you're not studying photography. You can get packages, like, with two lenses and a bag and tripod from online for around £200-300, which I know sounds expensive but is actually very good!

It seems a lot of people have gone for Madeira. I really hope I get in!x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending