The Student Room Group

Dropping SL French for ab-initio?

Today I'm wondering if I should change my SL French subject for ab-initio instead? I have been enjoying SL French although am not sure how much of a struggle, or challenging, the exams may be; in class I sometimes struggle with the simplest of things such as the present tense.

I learned French throughout secondary school but am wondering if there's a significant difference between ab-initio and SL French? I wouldn't mind doing ab-initio so I could focus more on my HL subjects, which I find more important, and not worry as much for French since I will not be continuing it onto uni. I don't know if I'd be able to juggle my revision for my HL subjects to try and spend more time on French when it comes to IB2. I just chose it for fun and to extend my knowledge in the language.

What do you think I should do? Please let me know your opinion ASAP! Thanks :smile:
Im in IB1, I did French through my secondary school too. A few people dropped into my class from SL french, and they say they prefer it because its at a slower pace and things are visited more thoroughly. If you want to drop to ab initio, I would advise it. However in terms of vocab, etc. i think you should stay in SL for a bit to pick up more words and then drop to ab initio later on. Plus its still quite early on and if your not struggling desperately you should be fine.
Reply 2
I think since you don't plan on taking it at university that you should drop it to ab initio. That way you'll have more time to focus on your other subjects which is important in obtaining a higher overall score.

I have a question if you don't mind:

-Im in Year 11 currently and am in the process of choosing my IB subjects. During my meeting with the IB coordinator i choose to take arabic b instead of spanish ab initio. However, my arabic is not the best (definitely not language B level) and i am not a native speaker. I dont take IGCSE arabic, but have to take the mandatory arabic classes from the government. Do you think i'd be allowed to take arabic ab initio? If it helps i am in the 2nd set, the mandatory classes are divided up into 3 sets (1st set consists of the native speakers, 2nd stronger non-native speakers and the 3rd consists of non-natives that can't read/write well enough)
Reply 3
Original post by goldenshades
Today I'm wondering if I should change my SL French subject for ab-initio instead? I have been enjoying SL French although am not sure how much of a struggle, or challenging, the exams may be; in class I sometimes struggle with the simplest of things such as the present tense.

I learned French throughout secondary school but am wondering if there's a significant difference between ab-initio and SL French? I wouldn't mind doing ab-initio so I could focus more on my HL subjects, which I find more important, and not worry as much for French since I will not be continuing it onto uni. I don't know if I'd be able to juggle my revision for my HL subjects to try and spend more time on French when it comes to IB2. I just chose it for fun and to extend my knowledge in the language.

What do you think I should do? Please let me know your opinion ASAP! Thanks :smile:

I think since you don't plan on taking it at university that you should drop it to ab initio. That way you'll have more time to focus on your other subjects which is important in obtaining a higher overall score.

I have a question if you don't mind:

-Im in Year 11 currently and am in the process of choosing my IB subjects. During my meeting with the IB coordinator i choose to take arabic b instead of spanish ab initio. However, my arabic is not the best (definitely not language B level) and i am not a native speaker. I dont take IGCSE arabic, but have to take the mandatory arabic classes from the government. Do you think i'd be allowed to take arabic ab initio? If it helps i am in the 2nd set, the mandatory classes are divided up into 3 sets (1st set consists of the native speakers, 2nd stronger non-native speakers and the 3rd consists of non-natives that can't read/write well enough)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending